Car camping in NH?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldfeet

Reaction score
Any info on car camping this time of year in NH? It seems that there are very few lean to's or platforms in the whites. I remember the Barnes Field VFTT winter gathering app 8 years ago. Are there any "free" sites like there are in the Catskills near the high peaks. I'm not to sure where we're going this weekend but instead of driving back 3 hours to my nephews place , I would rather hang out and camp out in NH. Any suggestions? I also don't mind paying a small fee like I did at Barnes Field. Speaking of that, man it was a great memory and SherpaK threw a great party!

As regards the USFS campgrounds, only Hancock and Barnes Field are listed as officially open and plowed through the winter in the Developed Campgrounds brochure. In years past I've stayed at Wildwood (west of Lincoln on Rte. 112) in April, but you'd better call a ranger station to check its status this year. There might be other possibilities at low elevations. I'd call the Visitor Centers and/or the ranger stations and ask.

We stayed at Hancock in April a couple years ago. Well-behaved crowd, no unwelcome rowdiness and enough eyes to discourage would-be miscreants. YMMV.

Last edited:
Thanks sardog1, just did a vftt search and found a thread from 2009 with info, will check it out tomorrow.

I don't know if they still do it but there used to winter camping at the Campton USFS site on the road into Waterville Valley

the birches in shelbourne/gorham is great[call first].very cheap and showers!A quiet trailhead might work,if you pull in late and do not mind a possible visit from the local cops[only to sleep a little and start hiking early].Once summer comes along I would not try it.If you go hike in maine there are many places to car camp.....have fun!

Last edited:
Looks like it's going to be a shelter for us this weekend. Hate to carry the extra weight but in Laurie's words, "it will build character". Now have to search and make it a www.viewsandbrews.com trip!

I don't know if they still do it but there used to winter camping at the Campton USFS site on the road into Waterville Valley

The campground has been closed all winter. I've never seen it open until May 1st. The Group Camping area has been closed indefinitely due to Hurricane Irene.