Car Camping near the Beach

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HikingBryan

Reaction score
Hey Guys and Gals,

I have my daughter Grace for a weeks vacation next week and I want to take her car-camping. This will be her first trip camping so I have a few requirements that I would like to meet. She is 6 years old.

1. Camping near beach or lake.
2. Reasonable drive from the North Shore (3+ hour max).
3. Motel (bail-out) available should the event not go as planned.
4. Nice location/picturesque.
5. Well maintained grounds.
6. Shower/Bathroom facilities.
7. Puppy friendly (Sarah and I have a new addition to our hiking family!!!).

I am leaning towards ME or NH, but this is not an absolute.

In an ideal world, we would be able to go into "town" if we get bored to seek mini-golf, shopping, etc etc.

This is Grace's first time camping, and I want to make it enjoyable!!!

All suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!

Many Thanks,

Bryan

There is a nice KOA near Lincoln/Woodstock, NH. They have small cabins, tent sites, RV sites, you name it. Pool, Mini-golf, VB, other games. Very close to lots of hiking trails, not to mention other tourist type of activities in the area.

And a fine Brewery as well! :D

I know what I'm about to say sounds pessimistic, so feel free to tell me to stuff it if you want, but...

:eek: Good Luck, Man, you'll have your hands full. You've got a lot of moving parts to consider. I love dogs, kids, beaches and camping, but it'll be challenging to do it all at the same time. Like I know Rogers Rock Campground on Lake George allows pets, but not at the beach, so you'll have to leave the puppy in the tent or car, both of which have their own problems. And then if you do decide to bail and head to a motel, the motel might not take the dog.

Does your daughter love reading or games or walking ? What's your "Down Time" strategy going to be ?

An area like Lake George might work as there is plenty to do and see in the area in addition to the lake.

There are 2 nice campgrounds around Freeport ME. Orrs Island and Hermit Island Campgorunds (find the online- Google the names). There is another at Smalls Point a little further up (I forget the name), and all three are right on the water. I have to check my Maine Island Trail book, but I think dogs are allowed. I haven't stayed, but I've been by on boats and the locations are gorgeous. They are easy drives to the mountains of Maine and convenient to the coastal towns.

There is also a campground near Old Orchard Beach that I have passed many times (on the road to the beach), but I can't recall the name. The state park at Sebago Lake is very nice too...it has a sandy beach and is fairly close to NH and very close to some of the Maine 4000 footers.

White Lake State Park in Tamworth off of 16. Great beach swimming, views. motel outside the front gate. Near the Kanc for short hikes (considr Boulder Loop) 30 minutes from North Conway attractions. I think the dog maybe an issue though. Great campground for kids, my daughters and I spent over ten summers camping there, we still talk about it. good luck

White Lake State Park in Tamworth off of 16. Great beach swimming, views. motel outside the front gate. Near the Kanc for short hikes (considr Boulder Loop) 30 minutes from North Conway attractions. I think the dog maybe an issue though. Great campground for kids, my daughters and I spent over ten summers camping there, we still talk about it. good luck

I'll second that. Great beach and the water depth increases VERY gradually. IIRC, you can see Chocorua from the beach. (This was 20 years ago, so it may be a figment of my imagination). Not sure on their pet policy though.

I'm with Chip... I'd leave the pup home for this one, and if all goes well bring him/her along for trip #2. We have 2 dogs and always board them when we head north. I love my dogs and all, but I like to spend quality time with the kids and relax during the 1 or 2 weekend-long trips we get to take to the whites each year. Things can get a little chaotic as it is without adding doggie care into the mix.

Hey Guys,

The pup coming along is mandatory, as she is only 12 weeks and has not had all her shots so she can not be boarded... Plus, if I can handle this, I can handle anything. Fortunately, the finacee will be along to help with the fun.

How about other sites in NH? White Lake does not allow pets, so that is out. Anything come to mind near a lake or pond...?

Any other ideas?

I'm leaning more towards the lakes now, as we will be heading to the Beach later in the week for a day trip or two.

Thoughts?

Bryan

Check out the state park campgrounds of VT, they allow dogs (but require proof of rabies vaccination). I've had good luck in the past of getting a last minute reservation for beach-sites or near-beach sites in several of the parks. Lake Carmi and Island Pond State Park both come to mind. 3 to 3 1/2 hours away though for those two, but there are other state park campgrounds near water in VT.

You can also find some great campgrounds along the Saco River, several of which with great small beaches/swimming. I'd imagine some would allow pets. Stay away from the portion of the river that is canoed by 5,000 people every weekend.

We liked Clearwater CG in the Lakes region. Beautiful lake, dogs allowed. (not on beach though)
If the baby has not had all shots, you might consider segregating her a bit, to prevent exposure to doggie bugs that she may get exposed to.
All I know is that every cg we have visited with our animals has required rabies certs, but not one ever asked us to present them at Check-in.
After Labor Day, The Cove in Conway accepts dogs.
Have fun.