Carrigain overnight 2/10-2/11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danno

Reaction score
this was a trip with a friend John (an old Orono roommate and compsci dude) and myself. Photos are here:

http://sopomedia.com/trips/2007/carrigain_02-2007/

We got started out of the parking lot at around 11:00am. This was a bit late, and I was to blame. I had some business and phone calls to deal with before I could get my pack on my back and out onto the trail.

The two mile hike to the trailhead was uneventful. There were a few snowmobiles that came up to us, but we weren't driven off the trail, so all was good. Came to the foundation by the river and wondered what it was in its previous life. I didn't remember seeing this the last time I was on the road this past summer.

Once at the trailhead we had lunch and drank some water, then started up the trail. The conditions were perfect. It was snow for 99.9 percent of the hike, with a little ice thrown in at a few places. We noticed early on that the trail had been broken out by someone who was bare booting it for most of the way. At about 1 mile into the trail we came up to a spot of ice and decided to put our crampons on (my first time for crampons this year). It was nice to be on some ice, even though it wasn't much. We continued to the notch and signal ridge trails junction, where we stopped and had some more gorp. This was all pretty easy hiking, even with a full pack on.

We headed up the Signal Ridge trail to get to the summit. About half way up we came across the hiker who had broken out the trail for us. We talked for a bit, thanked her for breaking out the trail, then continued on towards the ridge and summit. We got to the ridge as the sun was setting. There was still quite a bit of light, and it was snowing a bit. We continued on to get to the summit. Between the ridge and summit there were 4 or 5 blow downs we had to crawl under, none were bad. We actually walked right by the spot we were going to camp at, I completely missed it (it was getting darker at this point). We were both surprised to pop out onto the summit. I defiantly felt the elevation gain and full pack for the duration past the notch trail junction.

We walked around the summit for a couple minutes, then headed down and quickly found a camping spot. We didn't waste any time, we bundled up, got the stoves out to cook snow and make dinner, and set up the tent. We kept moving to stay warm. The first pot of boiling water went to hot cocoa, which was supreme as it was about 0f degrees out and making up camp was a bit chilly. The next pot of boiling water went to cooking pasta. For dinner, I had pre-cut up an onion, garlic, and some smoked salmon (I could smell these before taking them out of my pack :). We cooked this up with tarragon and black pepper and olive oil, with crushed red pepper flakes and parmesan cheese. An easy but good meal. As we ate, we continued to cook and boil snow, move around to stay warm, and got all our gear ready for the night. We boiled 3 bottles of water and put them in insulators. Two for sleeping bags warmers, and an extra just to have it. We crashed around 9:00pm, which was about an hour later than I would have liked. I hadn't camped out in winter since last year, so I wasn't as efficient as I should have been for cooking and working with the stoves and gear in the cold.

We got up just as the sun was coming into view on the tent. It was -10f degrees out. We decided to skip making breakfast, and instead chow down on gorp, drink water, pack everything up, and head down. Just before we were ready to go, we headed up to the summit. The views were absolutely amazing! It was cold and the wind was probably 20-30 mph, we headed up the tower and I took a few photos. We probably spent 5 minutes up there before we had to leave because of the cold. My only other time on this tower was this summer, and there was no view what so ever, so I was honestly stunned at the landscape. I will return here again when I can spend more time on the tower.

We headed down to our campsite, got our packs on, and headed down to the ridge. The blow downs were easier with the downward direction. Hmm, go figure! There was less wind on the ridge, and so we spent a bit of time there enjoying the sun and the view. Again, amazing!

On the way down we ran into rocksnrolls, PoisonIvy, una_dogger and MichaelJ. (I didn't know it was them at the time). Congrads to rocksnrolls for #48!! Great accomplishment, and what a superb day to do it. Well done!

From here, the rest of the trip was uneventful. We bare booted the whole way (sliding on our butts if needed to get past the icy spots). We had a couple breaks on the way down at the notch/signal ridge trail junction, as well as the trail head. Once back on the road we cruised back to the cars and were lucky to not see any snow machines till we hit the parking lot.

It took us 7 hours to get up the mountain, and 4 hours to get down. All in all this was a great trip. Great views, great conditions, great weather. Sweet weekend.

Nice trip report, and great pictures! I especially liked the panoramic ones. I gotta give you credit - you won't catch me camping out in such frigid temperatures. Good for you!

On a different note, are you aware that camping is prohibited within 200 feet of any trail except at designated campsites? I have personally disregarded this rule on at least one occasion, so I don't intend to "cast stones" at you. Have other people on this site come to a consensus on the ethics of abiding by this rule? Aside from not setting up and obstructing the route for others, or affecting the trailside vegetation (which I'm sure you weren't at that time of night and in winter) I don't see that this is a problem but I still think it is a rule that should be followed more closely. I ran into a couple that were camping on the summit of Bondcliff with their dog in September, and this really frustrated me. I guess it is because if everyone disregards the rules, things can get out of hand fast. Anybody have their own opinions on this?

I was very jealous of your trip when we saw your campsite ... glad to have discovered who it was up there! :)

albee said:
On a different note, are you aware that camping is prohibited within 200 feet of any trail except at designated campsites?

That regulation applies to the designated Wilderness Areas. Their campsite was legal and was not an impediment, about 10 or 12 feet off the trail. The regulations are here (pdf). The only trace left was the imprint in the snow, especially since they set up late one day and left early the next. I'm totally good with it.

Last edited:
Please don't promulgate incorrect information. The site you linked to (and the WMNF office) clearly states that camping is not allowed within 200' of any trail or water source, except at designated sites, regardless of whether it is within the designated Wilderness Area or not.

Don't get me wrong, I have disregarded this rule at least once (and twice, now that I think about it :rolleyes: ) but if I see people disregarding rules that are there to "reduce impact to the trailside area", it frustrates me. I have decided to change my camping behavior accordingly, and I hope that other members of the VFTT community would join me in protecting the areas we hike in by at least setting a good example and following the rules set in place for a reason.

albee said:
Please don't promulgate incorrect information. The site you linked to (and the WMNF office) clearly states that camping is not allowed within 200' of any trail or water source, except at designated sites, regardless of whether it is within the designated Wilderness Area or not.

That is NOT true. The statement on page 1 is a description of techniques to support leave no trace ethics, it is not a regulation. The regulations are on page 3 and they do not require you to be 200' from a trail when outside of a wilderness area (subject to the other locality-specific restrictions).

Think about it - if it were a blanket requirement for the entire WMNF, why would there be specifically listed regulated trails for which you must be more than 200 feet away...

(sorry for the late reply, I've been away from the computer for a few days).

albee said:
On a different note, are you aware that camping is prohibited within 200 feet of any trail except at designated campsites?

I appreciate your concern albee, thanks! When I first hiked Carrigain this past summer I noticed many campers on the summit of carrigain, including a fire ring directly on the summit about 20-30 feet from the tower. I admit I was a little bit let down by seeing the fire ring so close to a summit (I don't make fires at a site unless it is truly designed for one, for instance at a campground).

This past summer I did notice on the sign at the Signal Ridge trailhead (I wish I had a photo to fully jog my memory) that you can pay $8.00 (in addition to the parking fee) sometime between spring and late fall (I don't remember the exact dates) to camp on Carrigain. I may have this wrong, but this is what I remember. Thus I chose to camp where we did just below the summit. (This sign was still there this winter)

I can't say what the rules are for Carrigain, but I can say that it appears that camping is an option on this mountain. Why is it an option? I don't know, but this is what the sign at the trail head as well as those camping on the summit this summer implied to me. So, I don't feel I was breaking any rules regarding where we stayed. And, we followed minimum impact rules that I've been using for well over 20 years, including leading many outdoor trips on the east coast, west coast, and in Wyoming. I believe our impact was minimal.

Again, I appreciate yours and everyone's concern.

-dan