Carters and Moriah

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becket1903

Reaction score
Has anyone had a chance to get up into the Carters or Mt. Moriah in the past few days. Looking to head up there next week and would be happy for any information that you all might have!

Great Views on Sat, hard to find trail past Mt Surprise

Went op the Carter Moriah trail this past Saturday with EBE and Mike.

EBE and I were just planning to go as far as Mt Surprise. On Sat there was a fair amount of snow but didn't need snow shoes or anything special up to Surprise - the views over to Washington and Adams were spectacular!

Mike's plan was to do Moriah. Later he said that trail was not visible and there were many blow-overs. He didn't want to bushwack in deep snow (snow shoes useful past Surprise) up to Moriah so he turned around.

Not sure what's melted or who packed the trail since Saturday past Mt Surprise.

/JCE

This is from the the trail reports.
I did Carrigain on 10/31. It was rough going.

Trail: Carter Attempt from Imp and North Carter Tr.
Date Hiked: Thur. Nov. 3, 2005

Conditions: Many blow downs too numerous to count. Snow line starts about 1/2 mile below Jct. with Imp and North Carter Tr. After 3 hrs. of climbing over, around, and under, wearing our snow shoes (2ft.+),we reached the jct. of North Carter. Only, to be confronted with another huge blow down. We wanted to do the loop over Middle and South Carters, but due to the time elapsed, and what may await us traversing the ridge we turned for home.

Special Required Equipment: Snowshoes, Poles, and plenty of energy. We had spikes but didn't use them

Comments: One other set of tracks, person with dog, aborted soon as the snow began. We broke trail at least to the jct. Maynard will have to wait for another day to get his 45th and 46th. Still a nice day in the Whites.

Submitted by: Bob and Maynard

Thanks

Thanks for the information. I'm going to keep an eye on things over the next couple of days. Looks like some of the snow has packed out a bit. I'll throw a trip report out there towards the end of the week when I get back.

I went up stoneybrook trail on sat.see trip report.stream was high and had to walk upstream a bit to cross.snow about last mile up to ridge was wet and about 1 foot or less.from imp trail cutoff there was bare rock on the open areas and deep wet snow and puddles in the evergreens.one waist deep spruce trap.my only concern would be if the snow on the little summit cone turns to ice and you might need crampons.hope this helps.