Cascade, Porter and lots of people!!!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mookie

Reaction score
So,
All week long my G/F had been talking about hiking. She invited some friends from work to hike either Camels Hump or Giant in the ADK's (as it is closest to us here in VT). Well her friends bailed out so I decided to go with her. She is not really into hiking an kind of new to it. I decided we would do Cascade and Porter because they are both seemed like short and fairly easy hikes.
We arrived at the trailhead about 8:30, which i thought was kind of late after hearing about how busy the ADK's get. There was only about 12 vehicles there when we arrived. Lots of available parking there I though to myself. We headed out at about 8:45 and signed in. The trail was not as muddy as i thought about (heard alot about the ADK mud). I am glad we decided to hike these two peaks because the trail was not steep at all and babs had no problems (she didnt even complain). Before we knew it we were at the juction for Porter. We decided to do Cascade first then do Porter on the way out/down. The little scramble up to Cascade was fun but short. There was some people there telling me we were almost there (no S*@T is what i wanted to say, but instead i told them that sucked, i was having fun). We found the summit and had some sips of water and took in the views. Forget my camera (as usual) but snapped a cell phone photo and sent it to gooly to tease him. I knew he was home with his kids. hehe.
we took some photos of a canadian couple, admired the great range and headed on the Porter.
On the way down to Porter it was like the flood gates of people opened. It was the busiest i have ever seen a trail while hiking (yes, busier than hiking up Mt. Washington on a summer holiday weekend). We headed over to Porter, only .7 miles according to the sign. Porter was muddy for sure, but nothing bad, couple inches of mud in most spots. We went down and up and shortly we were at the summit (we think). Couldnt find a summit marker, maybee someone was sitting on it!! From here we could see the summit of Cascade, and man, was it busy!!! glad we beat that rush of people.
We had a banana some water and headed back down, i knew it would be a slow trip down. And it was!!! There was people everywhere, coming up, going down, coming out of the trees, dropping from planes (well it seemed it anyway). We passed many of the typical "how far to the summit" people, as to whom i replied "depends on what you consider far". The trail down was slow, wet and slick so we took it easy. A quick while later we were back at the trailhead, signed out and was shocked, there was 4 1/2 pages of registered hikers just for saturday!! There was cars everywhere when got back to 73.
it was about 1:00 when we headed out to keene to re-fuel and eat our peanut butter and fluff sands. 2 hours later we returned home and i was trying to plan my sunday.
Had the alarm set for 4am to try and get to the whites (i wanted to do twins) but woke up and turned my alarm off. I decided i wanted to get my kayak out and do some fishing instead. Ended up going to Waterbury Res, rented babs a kayak and we headed out fishing. After about 35 minutes the State Police came up and asked me if i had a life vest. Unfortunately i could not find it sunday morning and decided to risk it. Never thought there was State Police patrolling the Waterbury Res., but $49 ticket later we were back fishing. Caught just a few Small Mouth bass, loaded up and went home.
pretty good weekend i guess. Would have liked to get a few more peaks in the ADK, but gotta break babs in slowly. 2 more for me, brining my total up to 3!! yeah. only 43 left (thats going to take a while)!

mookie said:
"The authorities were out in full swing this weekend"
you and skimom were out?

Ha! Not those authorities! :eek:

We ran into a ranger on the trail.

Nice TR. Glad you and Babs bagged some adk's. Sounds like a great day out!!