Cats Carters Presi Iso death march

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panama Jack

Reaction score
Rather than picking off the Cats, Carters, Presi's & Iso in multiple trips I am exploring doing them all in one long trip, Starting on the Cats then the Carters,(not Moriah), then down and across the street and up Madison. Finishing on Isolation. I say 7 days will be a comfortable, enjoyable, relaxing pace.

Any thoughts at all would be appreciated, but in particular where to sleep, how many peaks a day, things to avoid, etc would be helpful.

I already have it all laid out on paper but want to double check with the community to make sure I maximize the enjoyment factor!

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Sounds good

It sounds like a nice trip, no doubt. Even at a modest pace, though, I think it is more like a 4+ day walk. I guess it depends on how many of the Presidentials you are talking about, though. On your route, assuming you are going Washington-Monroe-Isolation, I would consider sleeping at or near Carter Notch, Dolly Copp, and the Perch.

You could stay one additional night on the Isolation route to ease up on that last day. Will you start/end at Glen Boulder trailhead, thus backtracking up the Davis Path to exit? You could start/finish at Pinkham of course, using the connecting trail(s) as that would amount to the same thing.

If you want to give yourself 7 days, that sounds great too. If I were going to carry all that food, though, I might cache half of it near my Rt. 16 crossing.

But I think maybe referring to such a nice, leisurely 7 day pace as a 'death march' is a bit much, yes?

Last edited:
After carrying over forty pounds across the 'Cats Ridge last fall I would second Al's thought about cacheing or resupplying somehow. With all the extra weight the Wildcat Ridge Trail gets very slow...took me 8-9 hours and I am usually a lot nearer book time.
sounds like fun!

Though Long I feel the Wildcat Ridge is rather over-rated at best. Sure it is long ups and downs but completely doable by an experienced hiker as yourself.

Staying at Carter Notch Hut on Night 1 then Imp or Dolly Copp/Barnes field for night 2 will make for an enjoyable trip over the cats and carters. Note: While on the Carters... definately take the side trip to Mount Height. well worth it.

Stay in either Madison hut or find your way to Crag Camp off of Adams. Depends on what your feelings on Huts are. Nothern presies are tough and slow going at times, enjoy what you can.

Southern presies: I think I'd rather stay at Nauman Tent Site rather than Mizpah Hut.

oh and of course... watch for a Bumbling fool running down the trail trying to find you ;)

Last edited:
I agree with others that 7 days sounds like a lot for this trip, but it's not off by much. Consider that you have limited options for camping along certain sections of the trail, so your nights should be planned ahead.

If you spend the first night at Carter Notch Hut (caretaker only) then your second out at Barnes Field or Dolly Copp you won't have to carry a tent for the first two days. Stash some gear in a car at Dolly Copp, get a lift up to Pinkham to start the trip.

Or, you can plan on a night at Imp up higher, then the third night at Osgood Ridge campsite. That will make for shorter days.

From there you have some options. As SJ you can stay at Madison Spring Hut or one of the RMC facilities (Gray Knob, Crag Camp, or the Perch) or the Valley Way Tentsite depending on where you spend the previous night and how far you wish to go.

For the trip past Washington there aren't many places to stay, so I like starting at the Perch to cut things down. How are you planning on getting to Isolation? After doing the rest of the Presies? From the Perch there's really no camping until you get to Nauman (at Mizpah) unless you are willing to drop far off the ridge.

-dave-

If you are going from/to Isolation and Nauman via Dry River Cut-off and Isolation Trail I would recomend a quick side trip to Dry River Falls.

Also just north of Isolation on the Davis Trail there is a tent site, sign is about 2ft off the ground. However there is no close water source. Glen Boulder Trail is very nice!

When doing an AT section hike in 2002 we went Hut to Hut (it was cheaper back then) and in 4 days we went from Crawford Notch to Route 2 in Gorham and we were not speed daemons (plus we're retirees). That included Moriah but not Isolation. We went the first day from the road to Lakes. We could have added Isolation on the second day and been late to Madison Hut (we got there at 3:30 PM).

day 1 - Crawford Notch to Lakes of the Clouds Hut (southern Presis)
day 2 - Lakes to Madison Springs Hut (northern Presis)
day 3 - Madison Springs Hut to Carter Notch Hut (Wildcats)
day 4 - Carter Notch Hut to Route 2 (Carters, Moriah)

Bottom line: 4, 5 days max is more like it.

Here's the report (with another 4 days tacked on the front) if you're interested: Hut to Hut in 2002

Now there is camping near most of these points except Lakes. You might consider Lakes as a 1 night splurge.

Pb

Last edited:
I'm guessing that you aren't including the Southern Presi's.

Try this on for size:
Day 1: Park at Pinkham, hike the Wildcats to Carter Notch Hut (a short day)
Day 2: Carter Dome, Mt Hight, South and Middle Carter, spend night at Barnes Field/Dolly Copp
Day 3: Up Daniel Webster Trail to Osgood to Madison Summit. Down to Crag Camp for the night
Day 4: Adams to the Perch (a very leisurely day - you could take a side trip to Jefferson to shorten day 5
Day 5: Perch to Jefferson and Washington to Davis Path. Camp at intersection of Davis Path and Isolation Trail (a very nice wilderness site)
Day 6: Isolation, and out, either via Rocky Branch (and hitch hike) or back up to Glen Boulder (adds about 1500 vertical, but you are a lot closer to your car)

Isolation throws a bit of a wrench into your route - hence it's name. I found it a great trip both times I've done it. You can easily do it in a day which would allow you to come down Boott Spur after summitting Monroe on day 5.

If you can manage a short car spot, one of my favorite trips when I was in my teens was to start at Stony Brook to Imp shelter (1) (short day), then to Carter Hut (2), then over Wildcats to Hermit Lake (3), up Lion's Head to Washington (or up Boott Spur link to Boott Spur and Monroe, then Washington) to Crag Camp (4) (I'd stay at Perch instead now for this day), then over Adams, Madison and down Daniel Webster to Dolly Copp. You could actually shorten this by heading up the Imp Trail and over the Carters in one day. But, why hurry (and miss the nice steep cilmb to North Carter :))

A lot of options on this. Removing Isolation, or treating it as a separate leg makes it easier.