Catskill 100 (102) Finish 1/27

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Laurie and I will be finishing our CHH Sunday 1/27. Everyone is welcome to join us, as this hike will be on trail and no bushwhacking or permissions will be required! :eek: :D

The peak is called Willowemoc and is located here. The hike is about 2 miles one way with around 1100' of elevation gain. We plan to start at 10:00 AM.

Unfortunately, the trail we are taking is not shown on the map. It comes up from the North and starts approximately here. There is a trail head parking lot there. Mapquest for Hardenburg and Beaver Kill Road to get approximate directions.

Speaking of driving, we plan to meet at the A&P in Margaretville at 9:00 to car pool. If interested in doing this, let us know.

Other peaks in the area are located here, and include Sand Pond, (continue down the trail), Beaver Kill (a few miles East), Mongaup, Hodge Pond, High Falls, Cradle Rock, Barkaboom, Mill Brook, Woodpecker, BLM, etc.

For those who choose not to do another hike, after we finish we will be going to Summerfield's on Main Street in Magaretville for a small celebration. I happen to know that they serve Keegan Ales there! :D

Really terrible weather will cause us to reschedule, but if so, we will let you know.

Recent TR from Mudhook

Chip said:
There's actually a group out there trying to re-write 400 years of Dutch Settlement History by trying to get all those "-Kills" removed. :rolleyes:

Greenpeace... PETA :D?

Again, congrats Tom and Laurie...

Jay

Wish I had known earlier, Tom! I would have been there in a flash. Already have a butt-sliding date with Mt. Snow. Congrats to the both of you and you better make sure you raise one for me afterwards.

Pamola said:
Wish I had known earlier, Tom! I would have been there in a flash. Already have a butt-sliding date with Mt. Snow. Congrats to the both of you and you better make sure you raise one for me afterwards.

We thought about carrying up a growler but the fact that we might be busting it out on Sunday morning before Noon concerned us a little!

NOT! :eek:

Anyway, thanks all, there will be IPA after the hike for sure! Now, if only I could get some FROSTBITE!!!

No beavers will killed Sunday, at least by us! :D (There are no serious attempts to get the names changed, I remember when this made the news locally, it was laughed away quite quickly).

Enjoy Mt. Snow. We didn't want to schedule a finish before we were down to 1 peak left! :D

marchowes said:
God I love those Dutch-NY names.
When me and Al were down there for the week we couldn't get over all the Beaver, Kills, Cloves and Hollows. It seemed like we were always on a road with at least on of those in the name. We kept waiting for the ultimate and find ourselves on a Beaver Clove Kill Hollow road but we didn't find it, it's it out there though I know it. Or the Beaver Clove Kill Hollow school district home of the Beaver Hollow Woodstrokers baseball team 2002 regional champs! :D

It also seemed like from consecutive days of hiking we were on near or going to some mountain with the name Balsam in it. So I started saying "that's friggin Balsam" like another one! Then I started saying it when I needed a sub for "that's friggin awesome" with the same tone. :cool:

I unfortunately will be in the ADK this weekend, unfortunate because now I have a 3.5 hour drive Sunday morning to come to your finish. ;) There better be some really good beer after that drive that I can haul to the top. But not to good, I might need my compass to work in the afternoon when I bag some more peaks. ;) :D

ColdRiverRun said:
I unfortunately will be in the ADK this weekend, unfortunate because now I have a 3.5 hour drive Sunday morning to come to your finish. ;) There better be some really good beer after that drive that I can haul to the top. But not to good, I might need my compass to work in the afternoon when I bag some more peaks. ;) :D
Cool! Are you going to meet us in M'ville, or at the trailhead?

And if you're going to the ADKs, I'll pay for as much Frostbite as you can bring back, but only in growlers! :D

Tom Rankin said:
Cool! Are you going to meet us in M'ville, or at the trailhead?

And if you're going to the ADKs, I'll pay for as much Frostbite as you can bring back, but only in growlers! :D

Yeah, but they stopped calling it Frostbite. That beer has been through a few names (winter 46er ale, frostbite) but now it is just called IPA. Pretty boring if you ask me. Anyone know why they changed the name? Is this to sell it year round? Are we still talking about hiking?

Rik said:
Yeah, but they stopped calling it Frostbite. That beer has been through a few names (winter 46er ale, frostbite) but now it is just called IPA. Pretty boring if you ask me. Anyone know why they changed the name? Is this to sell it year round? Are we still talking about hiking?
Yeah, I know. Lake Placid IPA is boring, I agree. And yes we are still talking about hiking, at least for me! :D

Laurie and TR,
Congrats to your finish of the Cats 100! Wish I coulda been with you guys on your finish!
Rik said:
Saranac is doing most of their brewing and label design now. I was wondering the same thing about the name...Personally, I thought Frostbite was a great name for the IPA, but Matts Brewery thought differently! Too bad... :(