Catskill First Hike Suggestions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schatz

Reaction score
I plan to hike some of the 3500s this summer and would appreciate any suggestions. Although I grew up around Kingston,I'm now in KS. I'll arrive mid-day, hike two days,and depart mid day; so, I'm interested in any thoughts for shorter hikes on my arrival and departure days, as well as the full days. I hope to hike again later in the summer, when family members can help me shuttle the car, so I'd rather defer until then those hikes where the prepositioned car is most advantagous. Thanks in advance-- Schatz

Some of my favorite shorter hikes: Twin Mountain, Plateau from Rt. 214, Hunter, Balsam Lake, Windham. Longer hikes: Wittenberg-Cornell-Slide loop, Blackhead Range (Thomas Cole, Black Dome, Blackhead); West Kill.

Lots of good "trail-less" peaks also: Balsam Cap, North Dome, Doubletop.

Short hikes for travel day: Windham High Peak, Giant Ledges, Hunter via Becker Hollow Trail, Thomas Cole from Barnum Rd, Blackhead from Big Hollow Rd, Slide from Rt47, Balsam Lake Mt from Millbrook RD(my favorite short hike)

Nice hike, but not a high peak Ashokan High Point

Nice traverses with a car spot and full day:
Wittenburg, Cornell, Slide
Indian Head, Twin, Sugarloaf, Plateau(my favorite long hike)
Friday, Balsam Cap, Rocky, Lone, Table, Peekamoose

Have fun and enjoy!!

Cindy

Good suggestions above.

You may wish to purchase the Catskill Trails Maps, 5 map set, before arriving. There are concise trail descriptions on the back of each map which provide enough information to plan most hikes in the Catskills. The maps show essentials such as parking areas, water sources, leantos, viewpoints, etc.

Some lower peaks with fire towers for short hikes, if climbing a 3500' peak is not a prerequisite for you: The 3140' Overlook Mountain has great views and the ruins of an old hotel. It is a great introductory Catskill hike. The 2740' Tremper Mountain and 2980' Red Hill are two more, although the Red Hill trailhead is a bit off the beaten path and somewhat difficult to find.