Catskill W 35 finish on BC

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajtiv

Reaction score
Well I didn't plan on finishing this winter but after a 6 summit blitz 4 weekends ago I new if the planets aligned I could plan a finish.
First things first..I spoke to my wife to arrange 4 days off to go hike and complete the twelve I had left before the end of winter.
Tough sell but she knows it is important to me and said yes :)
Well the plan was to do 3 a day until I would attempt to finish with the same last two as I finished my 35 last November.

3/6/05 Well the first three were Bearpen Vly and Doubletop, I also wanted to add on Fir since one of the days I got off was a Friday and I had to put the kids on the bus and a half day of light would not allow 3 summits.
The first three were good quick hikes thanks to Harry, Ralph and Maddi breaking trail the two days prior.
Rick broke trails the day before and I followed a group up Doubletop. It started snowing on the way down and the views were gone but very peaceful out there.
I tried for Fir but with tired legs and breaking 2-3 feet of snow at 4:30 I turned around.

3/13/05 The next three were WHP KHP and hopefully Fir although there was a lot of time driving back and forth to trailheads.
WHP was a quick hike well socked in at the summit but I love this hike I was out by 9:30am. KHP took 5.5 hours as I hiked back and forth where the turn off from the snow mobile trail is, but no sign of past hikers and so I broke trail up and across the ridge more spruce than the more direct herd path. I hiked across the summit and down the face with some negotiation of the ledges.
I lost some time so as I passed Halcott at 4pm decided I would substitute this for Fir. Wise choice as I finished at 6pm.
Thursday night I was discussing the options I had left to finish with my wife and admitting with 6 left and a day and a hlaf to hike I did not think I would finish; wonderfully she volunteered to deal with the kids so I could drive up early and get two full days in. Boy is she great I was never going to ask.

3/18/05 Wittenberg Cornell and Fir
Wittenberg and Cornell was beautiful. Clear but slightly hazy at 9:30am but to have Witt summit to my self was a first on a clear day. Cornell was quick except the one ledge which was a front point crampon mess. Going down was I had to use a rope to lower myself... the fun of solo hiking.
Fir was a push in the afternoon but with consolidated snow much easier than two weeks earlier.

3/19/05 Friday BC and Rocky
Started out at 7:30 waiting for a now show but what a great day blue skies no wind and mid thirties
Going up Friday was easy using a logging road which unfortunately I did not use last time made for clear sailing. The ledges were easily negotiated heading north under the face and traversing up through the openings.
I hiked down to the rock face and traveled up and across the col between BC and Friday. Pretty thick but I wanted to come up to Rocky from the north side and the open woods at 3100' in the Neversink valley west of BC was great snowshoeing. Rocky was thicker than my last approach but I pushed through and hit the canister by 12pm. I signed in and had some lunch. I knew cominig down and up the south-west side would be no picnic. I guess when you know what your in for it is easier mentally as this is required more than physical strength on this hike. BC was the last of my first 35 and now the last of my winter 35. I signed in and headed back across to the junction up from Moon Haw. I past two nice gentlemen who left some good tracks to follow down Thank you.

Well I finished with the same last two in the same order. I hiked all but 2 summits solo.
What I learned:
The bushwacks I did in three season really helped in route finding the second time up. I had a great time; each bushwack is so different each time you do them and present different trials and obstacles you learn more.
After a couple dozen times up I may learn the routes and forests better.
Every hike is different in each season and feels different, touches the senses differently.
I now like hiking in winter more than three seasons.
Coming down the logging road yesterday afternoon and hitting bare ground my knees agree.
At least I can look forward to camping with the kids. :D
Thanks to all here that have answered my questions and given me inspiration.
Al

Hi Al, Congratulations! Balsam Cap seems to be a finishing peak for a lot of people. You made good time on these mountains, did them a lot faster than I did. I have 4 peaks left for my regular 35 then am on for my pursuit of the Catskill 100 highest and the New England 100 highest. Maybe we could hook up for some of the Catskill 100 stuff. Are you going to the 35 club dinner this year?

Last edited:
Congrats, Al! You're an unstoppable peak-bagging machine! I agree w/ a lot of you said at the end there. I too have found the Catskills a wonderful place to learn, as well as enjoy, over these past months. I also look forward to many, many return visits to the various peaks. I managed to hit 20 winters this season and hope to get the other 15 next winter. I can't really say I have a "favorite" hiking season (maybe autumn if I was forced to name one at gunpoint), but I definitely enjoyed winter immensely this year. All through the fall I would read posts on this site and think "Man, some of these people are really, really anxious for winter to begin." Now I understand why.

Matt

Congratulations Al, I'm sorry that I couldn't join you in some of your winter plans. My Winter 3500 has obviously been derailed, so I'll have to finish them next year. I am just glad that the situation with my parents could of been worse, much worse. The past 6 months have been hell for my family. I've been lucky to at least been able to get out at all since November.

I might be able to go out next week with Fred, but we'll see. I have to start training for Rainier!

Congratulations Al, I finished on BC too for my regular 3500. See ya at the dinner!

Jay

thanks all for the congratulations

First I will be at the dinner and will be happy to see everyone
Fred NEHH I'm in
Jay Next year I would love to tag along to finish your winters.
Matt westkill is calling
Dawn HarryK and Rik I am going up for a couple of weeks to ADKs this summer.
I will post my schedule in advance and would love to hike with you guys again

Ralph I saw Jon B and another gentlemen coming up to BC summit Jon said he spoke to you about my Saturday hike.

Everything went as planned.
I had a great time.
thanks again
Al