Catskills: Big Hollow Rd. Parking in Winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cragger

Reaction score
The parking area at the end of Big Hollow Road is now inaccessible due to snow. Does anyone know if it is safe (meaning: will not get a ticket or towed) to park in the snow plow turnaround pullout (the current end of plowed road)? I drove by on Friday and saw a few cars parked there. I am assuming this is safe as along as the plows are not out. But often I do not get back to my car until well after sunset.

The parking area at the end of Big Hollow Road is now inaccessible due to snow. Does anyone know if it is safe (meaning: will not get a ticket or towed) to park in the snow plow turnaround pullout (the current end of plowed road)? I drove by on Friday and saw a few cars parked there. I am assuming this is safe as along as the plows are not out. But often I do not get back to my car until well after sunset.
Every jurisdiction has different rules. To be 'safe', park on the side of the road, away from the signs. This will keep you out of trouble.

Just because there is no snow falling does not mean they will not come out to do some cleanup.

And why get in the way of the people who are out there to help you?

...and don't get stuck past the snowplow turnaround, there are some very big ditches on the south side (and to a lesser extent, the north side) of the road that I've seen at least 3 cars stuck there, including a forum member that had to get towed out.... FWIW, I've never had a problem parking at the snowplow turnaround but common sense prevails to avoid it during a snowstorm..

Jay

There is also a "school bus turnaround" sign.
I don't know if school buses ever turn around there or not.

When I was there on Friday, I felt the road was too narrow to park along (didn't think a snow plow could get by if one came along). I didn't feel like getting a ticket or towed so went to a different trailhead. The cell coverage is spotty there and it would be long walk out...