Catskills, Blue Hole Peekamoose

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keb

Reaction score
Not your typical hiking related question, but since there is such a good knowledge base here, I'm confident someone knows it. I did a search on here and found a thread that mentions this as one of the nicer swimming holes in the area. I also checked out the swimmingholes.org site and it's description. I was wondering if anyone had been there this year, and if so how it was? Also, do you park in the same lot as for the Peekamoose-Table trailhead off of Rt 42? The description just says to park in the lot off of Rt. 42 about 10 miles from the intersection of Rt 42 and 28A.

Any input is appreciated as always. I will be in the area with a friend and his young twin sons who I am turning into fans of the Catskills. Thanks!

Hey Keb, Mark Schaefer posted directions in this thread:

http://vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=6635&highlight=blue+hole

He mentions the Blue Hole being upstream from the trailhead to Peekamoose/Table on Peekamoose Road.... That's about 10 miles from Rt 28 anyway and before you get to the Sundown campsites....

Jay

BTW, there are many options to camp in the area, the sundown campsites are free with a portapotty there. However, it can get loud on the weekends and might not be the best atmosphere for kids if you're not into big fires, loud campers, etc. etc.

There is a really nice campsite about 1/4-1/2 mile in on the Kanape brook trail to Ashoken which is on a stream and also legal. it's an easy hike for kids or anybody from the trailhead and would be a much quieter option, although farther from Blue Hole than Sundown. (probably need to drive).

Last edited:
thanks Jay. I've been following your posts, I'm jealous of the time you spend in the Catskills. Hope to run into you on the trail sometime.

I appreciate the camping advice, but we're just heading up for the day on this trip.

Haven't been to the catskills since probably early June or perhaps even May! In Middle June, I did a presi traverse and early July, I went to go to Greylock and parts of the LT. This weekend, I'm going to the ADKs and eventually to Spencer's BBQ... Don't know when I'll actually get back to the cats...

If I remember correctly, you started the whole thread on hiking the Devil's Path in a day two or so year's ago! Perhaps you can join us sometime for my charity hikes.

I think next year though, we'll do a presi traverse in the White Mountains sometime mid June, depending on when the solstice is.... Hope you can make it!

Jay

I was out hiking today, but Jay did a good job with this. The best parking for the Blue Hole is the Peekamoose trailhead parking area, and the Blue Hole is not too far upstream. Walking along the Rondout is not too difficult. I have not been up that way this year, but there should be sufficient water for swimming even now in the dryer part of the year. The Blue Hole has depths over 6'.

There are other pools up and down the stream of varying depths. There are some upstream from the road bridge over the Rondout (just downstream Bear Hole Brook). More pools are downstream from Stone Cabin Brook. From the southernmost parking area shown on map #43 there is an old road with a bridge across the Rondout. Then it is a short walk on paths upstream to the pools.

Another worthwhile stop one mile east of the Peekamoose trailhead is Buttermilk Falls. There is a short path up from a parking area to the waterfall. The flow may be a little low currently, but it is should still be nice. I often have seen young children wading in the pool below the falls. It is a nice spot to cool off without getting too wet.

One note on Blue hole, the water even at this time of year, is always frigid. I once saw a guy with a couple too many beers in him, jump in and go into almost immediate hypothermy, he got out and just stood there shaking uncontrollably for 5 minutes before he could even move...Unfortunately, someone took down the rope swing that used to be good for about 20 feet of air before plunging (I was there once when a guy showed up with a ladder and preceded to catch nearly 50 feet of air, incredibly entertaining!). It's an awesome spot, well used by locals (of which I'm one) on the weekends, but during the week you'll probably have it to yourself. Enjoy!

I stopped by the Peekamoose Blue Hole today after hiking Peekamoose and Table. As Fu Jow Pai mentioned the water is normally cold to frigid. Today the water temperature was not bad, quite comfortable in the shallows. Now is probably the optimal time of the year for a swim in the Rondout Creek. And being a weekday I had the swimming hole to myself.

The path to the Blue Hole begins about 30 yards east of the Long Path trailhead for Peekamoose Mountain. Where the road begins to climb up a short hill, the flat, well travelled path diverges to the right and leads directly to the swimming hole. Total time to walk from the parking lot is less than 5 minutes.