Catskills on Friday?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The trailhead is at the end of Sprucetown Road, just off rt42 in West Kill.
I'm not 100% cetrain of the start time yet.

Doug,
When do you think you will be there?

I'm going to drive down thursday night, I'll probably get lost. I'm going to mapquest sprucetown road in westkill. I'll do that now. If it is under 3 hours from here, I'll leave at 4 am friday. I'll post back in a bit.

Mapquest has it at 3 .5 hours. I'll leave here at 3 am. I'll be there by 7am. Does that work for you? I'm stoked for a good hike. I hope it's warm enough for shorts...

Leave at 4, and I'll meet you at the rt 42/sprucetown rd junction about 8am?

Kevin, how does that work for you?

kmorgan said:
I can be there by 9:30 a.m. Is that Ok for you guys?

Kevin

Where are you traveling from .... long Island?
If you want we could meet in the Newburgh area and car pool?

Last edited:
hillman1 said:
I hope it's warm enough for shorts...

One little bit of advice-you might end up in some thick spruce if you do Leavitt Peak (Southwest Hunter), so you might want to wear or have pants. Zip-off pant/shorts maybe, if you have 'em. Maybe not necessary if you're not concerned about a few scratches. I know people that go up there in the summer w/ shorts and don't worry about it. There's some fairly thick stands up there, but then again they don't go on for all that long. Rusk also has some coniferous forest towards the top, but it's not all that thick.

Matt

alistair said:
Where are you traveling from .... long Island?
If you want we could meet in the Newburgh area and car pool?

I'll be coming from Queens and returning to Long Island. Did you want to meet at exit 7s, I84? Or someplace specific. Are you hiking no matter what the weather? If tonight it looks like heavy rain I will probably not go. Otherwise car pooling sounds good.

Kevin

A possible meeting place that is popular with folks are the park and rides, one in New Paltz (right after the toll) and the one in kingston, on the Kingston circle (I-587).

Just a heads up. I'm working on Friday, I'm not hiking anywhere but just biking to work...

Jay

Weather is ment to be 60 and dry.
Doug/ Kevin
I'll PM you my cell phone #. No matter the weather I will be at the Junction at 9:30. If it is raining I will do a shorter hike.

I'm going to try to get out there tomorrow, but may go up the other side of Hunter so that I can do a shorter hike (and sleep in later). But with any luck I will see you somewhere along the trail.