Charles River Link (Nov. 28-29, 2009)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amicus

Reaction score
The Charles River Link Trail, which opened last June, spans a choice stretch of the Charles, running 16 miles from Medfield to Newton Lower Falls by Cordingly Dam. It is a stellar addition to the roster of long-distance hiking trails in the Metro Boston Area, and a giant first step to linking the Bay Circuit Trail, where it begins, in Medfield, to downtown Boston.

I hiked it both ways this weekend. Saturday morning, starting from Newton Lower Falls, I traversed linked segments of the Wellesley Trails system. As I climbed and descended repeatedly the eskers and drumlins that give Wellesley Hills its name, I was reminded anew that eastern Mass. is not flat. The Trail passes Longfellow Pond, Wellesley Country Club, a long stretch of the Sudbury Aqueduct and the campuses of Babson and Olin Colleges.

Today I picked up at Pegan Hill in Dover. This section passes through the TTOR's Pegan Hill, Peters and Chase Woodlands Reservations and a big chunk of Medfield State Forest, with views of the Charles along the Rocky Narrows section. 68% of the CRLT is off-road - an impressive percentage for a new trail through those towns. The rest is mostly in Wellesley and Dover, so we're not talking Mean Streets.

If you hike the Link, expect views of the Charles in both peaceful:

726985290_3hq7S-M-1.jpg

and angry mood:

726093605_oeBYW-M-1.jpg

a view of Monadnock over Nobscot Hill, from the slopes of Pegan Hill:

726984910_WmvyK-M-1.jpg

mellow paths through pine groves:

726985193_BeiX6-M-2.jpg

and a few things you won't find elsewhere, such as the Babson Globe - the world's biggest when it was dedicated in 1955:

726094354_hozpk-M-1.jpg

The CRLT website includes a link to an admirably detailed Trail Description with maps. While many individuals and organizations played a part in creating this Trail, its prime mover is Denny Nackoney, a leader both of the Bay Circuit Alliance and of Wellesley Trails. Thanks, Denny!

The rest of my pix are here.

Last edited:
Thanks for the write up. These Massachusetts trail sections are pretty interesting, being from Westborough originally. Always nice to see some specs of green alive amongst the sprawl.

I've twice canoed the stretch of the Charles from Rt. 109 in Medfield to the dam in South Natick at Pleasant Street through Rocky Narrows, it's a pretty stretch of the Charles. Unfortunately some of it's ease on the eye in the Medfield marshes is attributed to the Purple Loosestrife (pic, not of the Charles but similar infestation) which is all over the place. I'm sure many other invasive species are around I hadn't picked out.

Last edited:
Always nice to see some specs of green alive amongst the sprawl.

More than specks! Trails like the this new one and the Bay Circuit link together more green-space than many of us natives, even the dedicated hikers, knew existed hereabouts.

This Trail may have extra appeal for those who have paddled the Charles. It starts near the transition between Legs 3 and 4 of the annual Run of the Charles Canoe Relay Race (a regular pastime for me) and touches on some of the nicest sections of the River in the Dover-Medfield area, as you note, including Rocky Narrows. I remember them well from two long-weekend traverses of the Charles, from the Medway area to Boston, years ago, with friends.

I saw no loosestrife (if I would even recognize it this time of year) over the weekend, but have seen much of it in other Mass. wetlands in warmer months. I don't know if the Charles has a special problem with it.

Ha, I know they're not specks, wrong word. :eek:

Back a few summers ago, when living at home after college and needing to get out, I found many nice areas in and around just Westborough. I knew of many already from growing up, but through my internship with the town found the Charm Bracelet system and more areas. Not to mention surrounding towns like Upton and Grafton have great open space as well. Most of the MA open space areas aren't well known, you just have to seek them out, but thankfully they're there.

It's a good thing people have gotten together to link them together town-to-town in the greater Boston area by way of the BCT and CRL trails. Kudos to them!

Last edited:
I'm sure many other invasive species are around I hadn't picked out.

Most of the walking/bike trails around the Charles are practically smothered in japanese knotweed; you'll also find tons of asiatic bittersweet. I've noticed a big increase in garlic mustard lately too.