China seizes control of tent manufacturers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect that the political issues of one form of government vs another are off-topic for this website. I started the thread because it may affect the availability and/or price of tents in the near future.

Doug

EDIT: I see Dave beat me to the political issues... (but by less than a minute :) )

Grandaddy said:
A tent sure beats Styrofoam temporary housing!
Actually the story suggests the opposite...
Though spartan, these portable homes are a step up from the tents and tarps that have been the main shelters for millions of people displaced by the quake. China's top leaders have urged manufacturers and construction crews to rush production of the homes, as the rainy season begins and threatens to turn hundreds of tent cities into swamps.

Doug

Actually, thinking of the long term effects of living in such a house, and the fact that these homes will probably in place for years to come to endanger people in the future, tents may be a better in the short term because they are universally viewed as "temporary." Also, the negative effect of the environment should be considered...Oh heck, this is getting too political.