Circumnavigating Cranes Beach (Cape Ann, Mass.)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan

Reaction score
Erik and I took out a tandem last week and headed to the north shore where we did a trip I've long intended but wasn't sure if it were possible. You'll likely need adequate water for the back part of this beach, Fox Creek, and beware of paddling against the tide (and wind) coming into Essex Bay.

Our trip started with a search for Fox Creek in Essex Bay. There are several dead end creeks and a little exploration may be necessary. We headed north in Fox Creek, under Argilla Road, into the Ipswich River and out through Plum Island Sound. Offshore we were sheltered from the west wind by the beach itself and made our way south to the entrance to Essex Bay where the wind and ebbing tide gave us a good workout ... which we had anticipated but would have considered a short portage across the dunes had we found the going impossible.

The loop was 10 miles but I won't reveal the put-in since it was not a legal parking spot. However, a good put-in is Pavillion Beach in Ipswich. If you do the loop counterclockwise, it will be easier to find Fox Creek from the Ipswich River.

No nautical maps really show Fox Creek very well but if you go to the Trustees of Reservations website, the map of Cranes Beach will be most useful.

When we did the loop,we were careful to watch for current flowing as we went into Fox Creek. That's how we could determine the correct entrance.
Start from Pavillion just before high tide,paddle around Crane's and ride the outgoing tide through Fox Creek.

Hi Stan, do you celebrate your paddle trip with tequila?....I remember that setup in your car on that Smuggler's Notch trip!....Renting down here costs app $25-30 for maybe 2 hours....gets expensive because I really like it and now want to go out even during the week....what's the rentals cost where you are?...

Congratulations !
It's a beautiful area glad to see you two were out and about enjoying it !!