Climate Change Forecast for NY

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
"While the long-term outlook for grape-growers in the Finger Lakes region is favorable, it is less than optimal for skiers and other winter sports enthusiasts in the Adirondacks. Fir and spruce trees are expected to die out in the Catskills, and New York City’s backup drinking water supply may well be contaminated as a result of seawater making its way farther up the Hudson River. "

Full Article in the NYTs

And oaks, tupelos, hickories, and black birch will move to replace the birch/beech/maple ecosystem we have now...

I think I heard recently somewhere that some models predict that the northern hardwood forest will vanish because the southern hardwood forest will advance quickly, and the northern hardwood forest will not be able to infiltrate the boreal forest fast enough to survive. Basically, it will get squeezed out.

jason

So what's the shelf life of maple syrup? Can it be frozen? Should we start stocking up now? :confused:

Signed,
A Maple Syrup Snob

So what's the shelf life of maple syrup? Can it be frozen? Should we start stocking up now? :confused:

Signed,
A Maple Syrup Snob

Am reasonably sure you could dissolve maple sugar back into syrup by simply adding water. Am not sure it would pass as the real deal, but will bet it's still light years ahead of Vermont Maid or Mrs. Buttterworth's.

Actually, I think you'd find that maple syrup has an incredibly long shelf life. It may crystallize in the jug, but its restored by putting it into a hot water bath.

Assuming there is global warming going on and that at least some of it can be attributed to too many human beings putting too much carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, what are the solutions? Should we act to reduce the human population by non-coercive means? Should all humans be required to have the carbon footprint of pre-Columbian indigenous Native Americans? Should Americans be reducing their carbon footprints while the Chinese and Indians are increasing theirs?

Northern Woodlands had an article a few years back that the forest type in the NE was not expected to change as much as expected with warming due to other factors. When I have a chance I will look for a link if its available.

I have read elsewhere that the introduction of the earth worm (an introduced invasive species in the Northeast) is a bigger threat to the forest type. The contention is that earthworms are very effective at converting the debris on the forest floor far more rapidly than the original post glacial system. This make the "duff" thinner and prefentially encourages some typically more southerly species to colonize an area compared to what was successful previously.

sea level could rise by as much as 55 inches

Is this a problem or an oppertunity?

If I plan carefully I could buy property cheaper property behind the expensive beach fronthomes and eventually when the beach moves up I'll have the water front property! :cool: