climbing the cascade on cascade

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjbrnx10

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone had summited Cascade via this route. On the map the summit is barely over one mile away from the road, and I have probably climbed .33 of the route a few times. Wondering if it got very steep, how the bushwack is, and how far you can follow the stream. Would love to summit from this route. Thanks

This is a wonderful route, and one I've done at least 4x.
Before the hotel located between the 2 Cascade Lakes burned to the ground at the turn of the century, this used to be the regular route to Cascade's summit.

It is now a route and not a trail. It has a very steep start, rock scrambling up the stream that you can see from route 73. After the initial steep first part, there are faint herd paths climbing thru what are essentially open woods. The hurricanes have not made a mess of the route as is with Lillian and Slide Brooks. Depending on the exact path you take, there are some overgrown, mossy, short slides and some pretty streamside walks. It climbs steadily, and a little judgement and luck is called for when the route gets right below the summit. It is thicker near the top as you spy the summit rock. If you stay a little to the left or center, it gets very thick for about 10-15 min. If you move to the right, the woods stay relatively open. Once you break out on the first of the open rock, you can look back at the way you came. If you went a little "off", you'll be able to see where the open woods are and not want to repeat it again.
In any case, as routes go, this is a real gem and the short 'wack at the top is no biggie either way.

Last edited:
And this is another great one to do in Winter. It's a technical ice climb up the falls, but a very easy one, followed by a wonderful snowshoe trip throught the open woods.

I'm interested in this route myself. One of a huge number of "on the list" hikes. I'd love to go back up Cascade and over to Porter, but am not really interested in the "highway" route again.

Would you suggest this as an ascent only route with a descent down the regular way? I'm taking only non-winter here obviously.

Mav,

I'd go back with you sometime. As someone observed, not a safe ascent in the winter for other than an ice climber.
Every time I've done this, we always come down via the trail. If you stand on route 73 between the 2 Cascade Lakes and look up, you can see the route with the top of Cascade Mt peeking right over it.
2 most memorable times here:

Huddled in rain gear 3/4's of the way up when a great electrical storm came over us hammering the woods with wind, rain, lightning and thunder crashing everywhere. We we crouching with big grins as Thor threw the thunderbolts all around us. And in 30 min it was over, we finished the climbe to clearing skies on the summit.

The other was a very early Sunday morning start. My buddy and I were camping at ADK Loj campground, still asleep when we left. Up the Cascade Dike to the summit. We had the summit to ourselves on a warm, still, morning and could hear the church bells ringing down below for 8am services. That was as close to a religious experience as we've had on a summit. Then, it was back to the Loj before our families got up as we raced each other down the trail, about 30 min back to cars parked by the Lake.
It was great to have young knees.

Tim I've done the route in winter a few times. I've got the extra gear and could you get ya up the falls. It's only rated NEI2-3. The bottom isn't that steep and the last 15 feet when in good condition is pretty easy.

By gear I mean harness, rope and ice tools. A alpine axe would do if you had experience climbing vertical ice with one. The first time I did it, my partner used a long axe. My 60 meter ropes don't quite make the climb, so it's done in two pitches. I've belayed from a tree to the left , about 25 ft from the top. The top is the crux. Green gully is also a option.

Don't forget the helmet!!!

When I climbed the Cascade last January I busted off a dinner plate that cut my cheek and proceeded to careen downward.

I strongly reccomend a helmet on any technical ice climb! Too much stuff (ice, carabiners, dropped screws) can rain down from above without warning.

:D