Coffee before a hike

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coffee or not

• Yes I drink before a hike

Votes: 93 69.9%
  • No I don't, post and explain why (optional)

Votes: 40 30.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Wu, poop in the back seat???? Thank god you sat in the front seat of my truck on the drive up for our hike to OH!!!!!!!

most things in moderation

When I was more into getting in shape I did my own un-scientific surveys about issues like this among people I thought were in good condition. There seemed to be a consensus on this (which also fits in with my own experience):

Coffee is ok. But only one or two cups a day. And you need to drink more water to make up for the diuretic effect.

In the case of hiking, since carrying water is an issue, I would add one extra qualification: Drink the coffee early enough that you can follow it up with water in the car so that you don't have to carry extra water. It's good to drink water before you exercise anyway.

I drink lots of coffee all the time, my friends like camping and backpacking with me because I pack in a perkulator :D On another note, Dave M. youve never tried it? Look to each his own, but that reminds me of a guy I knew who never had a drink of alcohol in his life, I guess I just dont understand why people dont try things at least once, to me life is about new experiences,how can you judge something if you dont try it? Then again, there's things Ive tried that I shouldnt have for sure :eek: ok forget it. peace all.

I read an article about people over 100 years old. The one thing they had in common it said was "coffee". It didn't say how much or when but moderation is the key.
Beer,etc. also affects the body so why not coffee?

This is one of those threads that I ignored and then when finally read it got a good laugh.

I've never had a cup of coffee. Never.

I used to drink tea about thirty years ago, but the caffeine makes my heart go crazy.

So I save my caffeine for when I really need a zap to wake up and then my preference is a can of Diet Dr Thunder. Laugh all you want guys. I like the taste. And can go months without drinking any. That way when I need that bolt of ightning to wake up, I really feel it.

But chocolate...now that's a different story. It's like the commercial...don't leave home without it. DARK, delicious chololate. It's everywhere I am.

Starbucks YUKON BLEND french press.
Can't live without it. Consume 3 cups per day.
What's happenin' with DD??? Some have horrible coffee and next town over it's consistently very good. DD's also affects me in a negative way much more than a cup of well brewed Starbucks.
Jave Hut FOGBUSTER is pretty good also. It was an acquired taste but I really like now.
As for someone's question regarding coffee killing you I suppose it could contribute to your demise. We had a patient present to the ER who had consumed a big cup of DD coffee and taken a strong decongestant. He did this knowing that he has high blood pressure. He had himself a nice stroke but the damage did reverse slowly over the next 12 hrs. He also required many drugs IV to lower his very high blood pressure. He probably would have been OK if he hadn't sucked down the decongestant along with the java. There are all kinds of warning of those boxes not to take that stuff if you are a known hypertensive or cardiac patient.
And as Jade said you can learn to live with menopause,coffee and peeing every 30". My friend's husband said to her that he always had to stop and look to see who he was hiking with....her or the dog! :)