Colden Trap Dike, Ski SE slides 3/29

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCD

Reaction score
Great trip. Trails were hard packed with a few inches of fresh powder from Thursday night. Ski in to Avalanche pass was routine. Very cold and windy there. Lots of snow in the dike. Skiing was great on the SE slides. Fairly long trudge up to Lake Arnold, and then a nice slide out to the car.

VERY kool...what did you use for gear? Looks as if you were freeheeling it. Always interested in footwear especially in this situation considering you were frontpointing in the Dike. Both times I have done this route I have gone the Rando route.

That must have been a great trip! Makes me want to see more photos. Did you solo up the Trap Dyke with ice tools?
I am heading up to do some Daks slides this weekend, cannot wait.

This is my favorite winter day trip in the adks, and I don't think there's a better loop.

This was my 4th time around this loop. Weather, a day off from work, and a partner have to come together, so I only get on it about once every 3 years.

The climb was tough this year. There was a lot of deep snow and several layers. Avy risk was moderate to high on the slides, so we needed to stay just inside the tree margin. That meant lots of postholing in spruce traps and crawling. On the SE side, though, the sun had baked down the layers into a consolidated, hard base, which just had the 4" or so of fresh from Thursday night on it, so the skiing was terrific.

As far as gear:

Boots: Scarpa T1.
Skis: Karhu Guide 165
Bindings: Voile hybrid (tour/ski switchable)
Skins: Old Voile snakeskins
Crampons: Grivel G2
Tools: Long axe and one short tool

I've been on tele exclusively for lift served skiing and for the backcountry for about 15 years now. I've used lighter boots, but I'm really spoiled by the way the T1's ski, so I use them for everything. Now that I have the thermo liner version, it's lighter and warmer, so it's even better.

I just got the ski set up this season. I used to be on Catamounts. I've been watching and hoping for years for a ski with a decent turning sidecut shape, but with a waxless base, and these are new this year. My partner was on Rossi T4 (lift served ski). I was a lot faster on the mild (non skin) uphills; he was a lot faster on the mild downhills. But overall, I love the setup! Skis turn great, I can ski everything at Whiteface on them, and with the bindings on the "tour" setting, I can run up hills.

I know snakeskins are universally derided in the real serious backcountry ski circles, because they don't glide well, and they are not great on traverses. But for walking up a trail, they're fine, and I don't have to screw with glue.

The Lisa, yes, we soloed the dike with one axe and one tool. Caveat: that's dependent on conditions and experience. I've been in the dike when the second waterfall was completely buried by snow, and the whole climb was a snow climb. I've also been in there when the second waterfall was about 25' of near vertical ice. So the equipment and protection desired will vary.

For slides this weekend, make sure you and your partners have your avy heads on. We brought the beacons on 3/29. The dike was very solid, with the snow anchored by terrain features. The 4" or so of fresh from Thursday night was a little wind deposited, and there had been some surface sloughs, which you can see in one of the pix. Before we headed out toward the slide, we put on the beacons. We hadn't traversed more than 20' when we triggered a small slough that ran right around us. It was light snow, and the deeper layers stayed put, so it wasn't a hazard, but it was pretty exciting. We tool a good look at the multiple layers, and decided we better stay in the trees. A full thickness avalanche would not be survivable up there (remember Yvon's pix from last year?). So be careful!

Here's a few more pix:

Last year's Trap Dyke avalanche was exactly what was on my mind!! Thanks for the extra details. And photos!!
We are kicking around various weekend options and looking at weather, etc. Beacons, probes, shovels, etc. will be on the packing list tonight.

Great stuff. Count me jealous!

TCD said:
...Ski in to Avalanche pass was routine... Skiing was great on the SE slides. Fairly long trudge up to Lake Arnold, and then a nice slide out to the car.
I'm not sure I understand the route :confused: The trudge to Lake Arnold has me wondering.
You went in Avalanche Pass and up the dike... then to the summit... then skied the SE Slides... maybe I don't know where these are! Then over to Lake Arnold? Where do the slides take you to?

bubba said:
Great stuff. Count me jealous!

I'm not sure I understand the route :confused: The trudge to Lake Arnold has me wondering.
You went in Avalanche Pass and up the dike... then to the summit... then skied the SE Slides... maybe I don't know where these are! Then over to Lake Arnold? Where do the slides take you to?

The slides put you on the trail between Lake Arnold and Feldspar so you need to climb back up to Lake Arnold and then down to the Avalanche Pass trail to get out. I was confused on the first read as well. The trudge up to Lake Arnold was on the way out.

Rik said:
The slides put you on the trail between Lake Arnold and Feldspar so you need to climb back up to Lake Arnold and then down to the Avalanche Pass trail to get out. I was confused on the first read as well. The trudge up to Lake Arnold was on the way out.
Got it. The slides take you over the back side and you have to come back (up) around to LA. I can see where that would be just what you *didn't* want to do.

Yes, the hike up to Lake Arnold from the bottom of the slides is a little tiresome at that point in the day. But once you get to LA, it can be a great ski out, depending on conditions. It's a narrow and moderately steep trail from LA down to Avalanche Camp. This year it was a hoot! There was enough powder along the edge of the trail to check speed, and there were several places where the woods were open enough that you could jump in and get a few really nice turns. (Keep helmet on.) Three years ago, it was nasty and scary. The trail was a rock hard bobsled run down a U shaped gully, with no powder in sight. The only way to check your speed was to wreck into smaller trees before you hit a big one.

I should note that either half of this trip makes a fine outing. Doing the whole route is elegant, but if there are time, equipment or conditions limitations, you can do either half. Climb the dike, and descend the LA trail, or climb the LA trail and ski the slides. It's all good!

TCD

Awesome!

TCD, sounds like a great loop. Thanks for the pics.
WARNING to those who follow, hit it now, temps/sunshine Sunday could greatly increase the avy/ice dam risk. Early Sunday morning would be the latest I would want to be in the dyke.
Sweet trip report. :D

Last edited:
The Lisa said:
And then there is the rumoured (mythical?) ski descent of the Trap Dyke! :eek:

I spent a few nights at the Colden outpost during a blizzard a few years back with the old care taker Mike. He said he knew a few guys from some (mythical) ski gang called "Ski to Die" or something like that who had skied the dyke. :eek:

This same group has been blamed for cutting numerous illegal ski trails at the bottom of slides.

Last edited:
TCD said:
...Three years ago, it was nasty and scary. The trail was a rock hard bobsled run down a U shaped gully, with no powder in sight. The only way to check your speed was to wreck into smaller trees before you hit a big one... TCD
No there's some technique that I have yet to use! :D

Thanks for the follow-up. Great trip and agree - any trip in is well worth the effort. Yours just used plenty of effort, but you had the ideal conditions.

NYBrad - 'sup? You been in the ice all winter?

NYBRAD said:
I spent a few nights at the Colden outpost during a blizzard a few years back with the old care taker Mike. He said he knew a few guys from some (mythical) ski gang called "Ski to Die" or something like that who had skied the dyke. :eek:

I should have known that the 'Ski to Die' guys would have skied the Trap Dyke - I read about them in Adirondac Life magazine a few months ago. They were adventurous and fearless.
This the link to the article Ski to Die

NYBRAD said:
TCD, sounds like a great loop. Thanks for the pics.
WARNING to those who follow, hit it now, temps/sunshine Sunday could greatly increase the avy/ice dam risk. Early Sunday morning would be the latest I would want to be in the dyke.
Sweet trip report. :D

Not sure what you mean? "[H]it it now." Do you mean the last time for the season? Looks like it's snowing up there tonight (Friday) and then the forecast calls for cold dry days for at least the next few days.

Hit it now means go very soon. Sunday it's supposed to be in the upper 40's and even warmer as the week progresses. This will increase the avy/ice damming risk.

TCD - Any changes?

TCD:

Here is a post from you several years back. Any changes with regard to gaining access to the slides?

"Skiing the slides:
The best slide for skiing is the Lake Arnold slide, that runs SE towards Marcy. People have skied the dike, but it's rarely in condition for skiing unless you're sicker than me. The slides that run toward Av Pass are dangerous, and end in cliffs.

If you've looked at the Lake Arnold slide, you know that there is a steep top section, which is paralleled by older slides to skiers right (S). The steep top of the LA slide often is bare rock, because it's very new (12 years) and there's not much to hold snow. Usually, I ski the older slide down to it's end, and then traverse left a few yards through the woods to the LA slide's lower section.

The very summit ridge has some small cliffs (12') that are a pain to get down. Therefore, the best way to get to the top of the skiing is to take the trail along the ridge S for about 150' and then hook down around left to the top of the slide. This will bring you to a nice spot where you can switch to skis."

My boyfriend and I skied the SE Slide yesterday and thanks to a tip from a local teleskier we met on the Colden Summit, accessed the slide by traversing in from the side instead of having to negotiate the rock bands.
It was a beautiful mellow ski on corn snow the whole way down. There were a lot of open 'crevasses' lower down exposing the rushing brook but there was plenty of room to negotiate them. However, we could see snowbridges had settled in places so they are on the way out.