Colorado 14ers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SABERG

Reaction score
Sid and I are talking about a week long trip to try out some 14er ain the spring.
We both have years of winter Whites, Greens and Daks. The altitude is less a concern than the actual logistics of a trip.
Has anyone got suggestions?

A day or two to Aclimatize then maybe a 3 day multi peak ridge run.

Any Suggestions would be much appreciated.

SABERG

Spring comes much later up high out west. When exactly in spring are you planning to go? In a good snow year you'll be travelling on snow well into June or even July.

-dave-

You can get some tips on getting the most bang for your 14ers peakbagging buck at Cave Dog's Web site here . He bagged all of them in less than 11 days, so you should be able to figure out an efficient route by perusing what he did.

One of the peaks has had access closed off by a landowner, and I can't recall which one it is, although I'm the one who asked about it not too long ago.

We prefer going in Late Aug or early Sept. Of course Sept can bering a snowstom but it;s pretty easy being prepared for 30s and a little fresh snow vs plodding through deep spring snow pack and cold night re-freeze to ice.

Everyone is different with the altitude. I use diamox and it works wonders.

I'm a little confused on why altitude is of little concern. I too hike a ton in the Northeast, and the altitude really nailed me pretty hard when I went out to Colorado this summer.

Personally, I would not head out there expecting to stay multiple days above treeline. We did a 2-dayer on Longs Peak (in Estes Park), and it definitely hurt the second day. On the drive out to Buena Vista after hiking all day I could feel the elevation everytime the car went above 10K feet. Ouch! Read my report if you are interested in some of the logistics of a Colorado trip. I appologize that it is not complete.

http://www.percious.com/hiking/HP/Colorado 2006/report/part1.html

For what it is worth, I recommend staying in Leadville or Buena Vista if you want to nab a bunch of 14ers. This is the "Collegiate" range which offers more than a few "double-trouble" hikes. Trust me, if you plan in a few Hotel nights you will feel more rested and able to tackle all those peaks! It's also fun to visit the towns and talk with the locals. PM me and I can give you a recommendation or two on good Hotels near Leadville/Buena Vista including one that has an awesome hot spring.

Springtime is going to be a tough time to head into Colorado. You are going to see lots of snow, and there may still be avalanche concerns on the upper slopes. If you want some good cramponing snow, plan a trip at the end of June.

-percious

I agree, altitude should not be underestimated. Have you been to altitude before? If not, spend some time exploring how your body reacts to going high. Spend nights at increasingly higher elevations, but I wouldn't plan on spending any nights above 11,000' or so. Maybe a bit higher.

The Collegate range is an excellent choice, and Leadville is a nice little town (the 2 mile high city). I've camped at Twin Resevoir, just south of there which makes for good access to Massive and Elbert.

If you go in June expect to travel on snow/ice for extended periods of time. Spring slough avalanches could be a problem as well.

-dave-

Buena Vista

I agree with everyone about Buena Vista. There's an excellent Mexican restaurant in town, as well as pay showers at the municipal park. Also nice National Forest campsites (free- I think) a short ride up the road. And excellent fishing.

Colorado 14 ers

Thanks for the input,
Or time table is late April, early May.
The altitude issue I am very respectful of, some training and a clear understanding of the body response are huge.
My own experince above 10k includes 3 Rainier trips as long as six days at or above Muir and a successful Mckinley summit this July.
Sid has been in Glacier above 10k. We are both focused on great climbs with a safe return.
I will follow up on the links and reports, that should help us during the planning stages.

Thanks

SABERG

Anybody care to share their opinion as to the classic 14K's in Colorado? I know this is a personal preference question, but I was wondering if there were any 14k-ers that consistently come up as a favorite?

I'm pretty much looking for a 14K equivalent to many of our favorite 4Ks in New England (i.e. Bonds, Lafayette, Katahdin, etc.).

I'd hoping to try to attempt to climb one in a day or two days in the next year or two. Very curious to see how I handle being at high altitude considering I felt a bit winded hiking in Bryce Canyon @ 8K earlier this year.

Thanks!

Last edited:
SABERG said:
Just so you realise, you'll be on snow most of the time, some deep and icy. You'll need to be avy aware and will probably need snowshoes, crampons, and axes. Many routes will be technical or at least very dangerous that time of year.

-dave-

roadtripper said:
I'm pretty much looking for a 14K equivalent to many of our favorite 4Ks in New England (i.e. Bonds, Lafayette, Katahdin, etc.).
I'm not sure exactly what you are looking to match up with. Extended dayhikes with killer views? :)

I've only done two 14'ers, Massive as a dayhike and Sneffels as an overnight. Many can be done as a long dayhike, some you can drive up, some really require an overnight to do easily, and a few are off limits to hikers. One thing to keep in mind is that during the summer you really need to be off the summits by 2:00 PM because of lightning, so you have to go early.

I found this book to be extremely useful for planning trips.

There are plenty of wonderful trips that don't summit 14'ers as well. We did a 4 night loop near the Maroon Bells that went over 4 12K passes, which ironically was the highlight of the trip.

-dave-

Colorado 14 ers

David,
Thanks for the book tip, also the 14 ers website has great info.
The discussion around the classics is wide ranging.
We ideally would look for a day climb, a 2 day approach to ridge and then a 2 day loop or through kike.
The Beuna Vista has come up, the Collegiate has potential also.
I appreciate the book reference, and will be on that this weekend.
Climbing in mixed snow and some ice is what weve been training for, (last winter all the gullies in Tuckermans and 2 winter Washington summits) the approaches are a far cry different than around here thats for sure, and having never been to the area I anticipate a scale problem, it,s just bigger out there!!!

Thanks again

SABERG

SABERG said:
David,
...We ideally would look for a day climb, a 2 day approach to ridge and then a 2 day loop or through kike.
SABERG
I did Long's as a day hike, but that was under ideal conditions. It's a long day. Harvard might be a good choice if you're in the collegiates.
The place I'm dying to get back to is the Sangre de Cristos. Absolutely magnificent mountains!

roadtripper said:
Anybody care to share their opinion as to the classic 14K's in Colorado? I know this is a personal preference question, but I was wondering if there were any 14k-ers that consistently come up as a favorite?

I'm pretty much looking for a 14K equivalent to many of our favorite 4Ks in New England (i.e. Bonds, Lafayette, Katahdin, etc.)

Doing Grays and Torrey are a classic dayhike. Both peaks are 14ers and considered "easier 14ers." We encountered lots of snow and it was July.

Jim lombard said:
Doing Grays and Torrey are a classic dayhike. Both peaks are 14ers and considered "easier 14ers." We encountered lots of snow and it was July.

I've done these with snow and also when there wasn't a single flake. They are certainly among the more popular of them - as the crowds will indicate.

SABERG said:
Thanks for the input,
The altitude issue I am very respectful of, some training and a clear understanding of the body response are huge.
My own experince above 10k includes 3 Rainier trips as long as six days at or above Muir and a successful Mckinley summit this July.
Sid has been in Glacier above 10k. We are both focused on great climbs with a safe return.
I will follow up on the links and reports, that should help us during the planning stages.

Thanks

SABERG
Sarberg . Ispend time in Snowmass as well as NH . there already isa good amount of snow over 3ft @at 11k and more higher with more on the way . this weekend . Unless it stops snowing now unlikely you are going ot be going through snow from the trail head to summit alos it still avalvhes then and snows sometimes alot . . you will need snowshoes , avalnche poles and probes and very good avy skills . on stpper slops wher snowshoes are not helpful you can find your self walking up a nice packed slope in the moring before the sun hits it to at minmum postholing all the way down it is very tiring and dangerous . at worse avalanches .

I do not know where you ar3egoing but i would recomend Elbert Mt Massive and a few of the east slopes on the Colliegets .
Quanrdy peak near Brekenridge Grays and Torrys are ok but not aklways safe that time of year nic e han Quandry
Pikes peak is a good choice a long but nice hike
Avoid the sttepr more difficult peaks y unless you are extreamly experinced.
Another thing to have is very good rout finding skills as the trails are obsured by snow and not frequentlly used until warmer months

rent a high clearnce 4x4 alot of the raods to high passes will beclse Indepandance pass RT 82 and Trail Ridge Road do not open untill memorail day most years and then thgey ar cleard of Snow .

oters are not plowed at all . if say tou paln mt Snffesl you are in for a long hike as with others San Juan peaks that have a raod to a trail head .
The Elks are not at all good chgoices in april or may thgey avalanch alot and all have long hikes that would be in snow at that time of year .
Many 14 k have over 4,000 ft elevation gain so keep that in mind

As frop the Question of classic 14 ers all of the Elk 14 k peaks
Longs, Blanca , the Crestome Peaks , Sneffles, Unconphagre , Elous and Sunlinght , Laplata and Massive and Mt of the holy Cross . Jusat afew but those come to mind

I have done many of the "easy" ones in the last 3 years during what has become a traditional yearly trip with the "girls". The earliest I have gone was back in June 2004 and after that trip, where the snow and ice conditions turned me back from a solo attempt of Longs Peak, I have planned subsequent trips during the month of August.

With all you experience, you should be okay attempting all the ones I have done. As Dave already suggested, Roach's book and map set on the 14ers are a MUST for anyone dabbling in the Colorado peaks.

I have found that the peaks and your enjoyment of them is not only dependant on personal experience as Greg pointed out but also very likely influenced by weather, health, and particular frustrations and difficulties of the given day.

As far as altitude, I have experienced mild to moderate issues with headaches and GI problems. I tend to "grin and bear it" and have been successful at most of my attempts (all but my Longs attempt) . . . I will give you a run down of the peaks I have done that I believe you won't have a problem with and also give my "favorite".

They ALL have nice views so keep that in mind.

2004:
Handies - My first mountain and my absolute FAVORITE. I haven't yet done any of the others in the San Juans but if this one is any indication, next years trip will be the best one yet.

Belford and Oxford - I only vaguely remember these as we battled 80mph winds on our hands and knees, had our hearts rattling in our chests because of a quickly moving storm that hit a little too close while we were on an exposed ridge . . . but it had the potential to have some of the best views.

Elbert - Nice but crowded, not one of my favorites but it is a state highpoint and I have my lists.

Massive - Lots of flat approach walking . . . imagine Lincoln Woods Trail

2005:
Bierstadt - Relatively gentle. Amazing views particularly of the jagged ridge towards Evans, which we pushed to another day, due to an incoming storm.

Grays and Torreys - a great little combo. This is one I would recommend. Lots of switchbacks and another one I only remember vaguely since we were chased off by a storm.

2006:
Evans - There is a PAVED road up this and the trail we took was very rocky. The best part about this one was the mountain goats that were licking the salt from the pavement near the top. They were pretty cool but overall not one of my favs.

Antero - Getting to it almost killed all of us with heart attacks. Take a 4-wheel drive or park at the first lot and walk the 3 miles on the road, cause no words can describe the terror of driving on this road even in a Mercury Mountaineer. Most of this hike is on a dirt road and people do drive trucks and ATVs on this road so some of you might not like it but here is why this hike was one of the best by far . . . THE VIEWS . . . you circle the mountain on the road and get views from all sides. We started before the crack of dawn and thereby only encountered people on the way down. I LOVED this hike . . . it has been my 2nd favorite.

Yale - I had a difficult day fighting altitude effects and blisters so though I am sure this is a beautiful hike since much of it is the woods, followed by a hike above trrline and ending with a scramble over huge boulders . . . my memories of it are of pain and frustration and just breathing a sigh of relief at the top . . .

Quandry - My 3rd favorite. This was a WONDERFUL hike. Even though we had way lots of people on the mountain that day which was a shock after hiking weekdays and seeing noone . . . I REALLY think this mountain is a gem.

Anyway you cut it the mountains out there are GORGEOUS !!! And not only do I thoroughly enjoy my trips out there but I come back with a renewed appreciation for the Northeast . . . views are GREAT but I love the woods and the trees just as much if not more . . . and being in the trees much of the day makes the views from the top that much sweeter.

Enjoy your trip . . . I can't wait for next year's trip. YIPPEEE !!!!

sli74

Last edited:
Are you flexible with your dates at all? I would highly recommend NOT going in April or early May. There will still be ALOT of snow, much of it unstable, and many trailhead closures will still be in effect. There are some great snow climbs to be had then, but you need to be very very cautious with the snowpack and make sure to get alpine starts (ie. get off the mountain before it warms and starts falling on you).

If April and early May it is, I would suggest checking out Quandary as a good warm-up hike--not too hard, open trailhead, and close to Breckenridge. You can contemplate your altitude readiness while bar-hopping in Breck. :) If you come a little later, and the road is open, there are two great routes on the aforementioned Torreys Peak that avoid the standard, popular (easy) route -- Kelso Ridge and Dead Dog Couloir. The Ridge is a class 3 (easy 4, maybe) scramble that isn't too exposed except for one short section. The Couloir is a 45-50-degree snow climb -- very fun but requires an early start (easy-facing). Torreys is close to Denver so it makes a good test piece early in your stay.

I personally don't think the Collegiate Peaks (the peaks near Leadville and BV)are all that interesting in terms of challenge, but they do tend to be more accessible for early season mountaineering and the views are sensational. Bring skis while you're at it b/c there are some great possibilities! You should look into trying some of the Sangre de Cristos, too, esp. in May. Many routes melt out fairy early and they are amazing mountains. Crestone Peak and Needle are especially cool; the better approach is from the west, unless you want to try Humboldt, too.

The most interesting peaks are also the ones that are probably out of range (due to wet, slab avalanches) in the early spring -- the Elks outside Aspen and the San Juans in SW Colorado. Also, Longs Peak, definitely a classic, is probably off-limits that early. I've turned back on Longs in June due to too much snow.

PM me with any questions; I just moved back to Vermont after living in Colorado for a while.

In addition to the other suggestions, check out these guys' website:
http://www.ryananderin.org/index.html

and some of my own pics from this past May... (I hope the links work!)
Early May 2006 on Quandary here

Memorial weekend on Democrat, Cameron, Lincoln, and Bross (the Decalibron) here.

Memorial weekend on Evans, Bierstadt, and Spaulding here.

Last edited: