Columbus Day Weekend Backpack to Carter Notch Hut and Wildcat A summit

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshine Chris

Reaction score
I decided a couple weeks ago to get myself back out in the woods hiking again. Last weekend I hike Mt. Cardigan in showers. For Columbus Day weekend I decided on a solo backpack up to Carter Notch Hut and see about a summit or two on Monday. I arrived at the Nineteen Mile Brook Trail-head at 9:45 am on Sunday morning and beat feet on the trail by 10:00am. I was so excited to be out hiking that I hardly even noticed my 30 pound pack on my back as I cruised up along 19 Mile Brook. It was over cast but the sun managed to keep peeking out and the leaves were lovely to look at as they fell gracefully from the trees to the ground below. In no time at all I arrived at the junction for the Carter Dome Trail. I decided to just keep right on going without a snack break. My torn rotator cup was annoying me some but I just tried to ignore it. The trail continued at a gradual rate of climb, getting rockier as I progressed. Before I knew it I was at the crown of the hill over looking the pond below. It was a beautiful sight to behold. I was happy to arrive at the hut in book time with my overnight pack filled with some winter gear in case we got snow overnight. I haven't been exercising for the past 3 years and just started up a couple of weeks ago. I headed for the hut and had a hot cup of tea, oodles of noodles soup and a pb & j sandwich and then went to settle into the hut. I was told it was to be a full house tonight.. I met some great folks from a boy scout troop out of Rhode Island and another large group of mixed ages and some kids that were from Connecticut. We sat around and talked for quite some time. I headed back for a little solitude before dinner. At dinner I joined some teens and their mom for a great game of Catch Phrase which ended up lasting till about 8:45pm. I decided to break away and call my husband and wish him a Happy Anniversary (our first). He had been working all day and had a side job that evening installing a sink for a little side cash. I was excited about the prospects of awaking to snow in the morning and had decided I was going to hike Wildcat A before heading down.
We all awoke to snow on the trees and a little on the ground and everyone had their cameras out flashing pictures. I hurried through a breakfast of oatmeal and a mango and went back to re-pack my backpack so the fanny pack (lid) would have the things I needed for the climb. I headed out the door around 9:30 am, stopping at the trail intersection to drop my big pack and add a layer and a hat for the hike to Wildcat A. I had spoke to folks at the hut and no-one was going that way so I knew I would probably be up there by myself. I hadn't been on Wildcat A since 1998 but my memory served me well for it was as steep as I remembered, although I had come down this trail last time. The trees had a nice blanket of fluffy snow on them as well as parts of the trail. The rocks for the most part were free of snow, although they were wet. I got up there in under an hour and was pleased with my efforts. The views at the slide and stream crossing out into the valley looking toward the 19 Mile Brook Trail-head were a wonderful mix of fall meets winter. The foliage down below was in bright contrast to the snow nearing the summit. I took a quick peak around on the summit and started back down. 45 minutes later found me back at my backpack and eating another sandwich.
Reluctantly I started down toward the trail-head taking my time on the slippery rocks and wet leaves, meeting many on the their way up. The sun was bright, the temps comfortable and I was enjoying my own company. I felt refreshed and renewed in spirit and accomplishment. I have plans of getting out every weekend through this winter and look forward to many more adventures back out on the trail. As my conditioning improves I should be able to take on more and more miles and elevation gains.Now if my shoulder will just cooperate, everything will be great. Thanks for hearing me out. I am so
I am so to be out hiking again. Maybe a 2nd round of the 4000 footers is in order or maybe a Winter 48? Who knows. I just might do it. Maybe I should send in for a patch for the first 48 I finished in 2009. Keep forgetting to do that. Signing off Sunshine Chris
http://s1343.photobucket.com/albums/o793/CrystalCreek7760

I'm glad to hear that you're hitting the trails again. It sounds like the Whites welcomed you back with open arms.

Really enjoyed your trip report. You go girl! :)

Happy to hear that winter is on the way. :D

Thanks for the encouragement Maddy. I appreciate it and I am glad you enjoyed my trip report. You guys all make my day when you read or comment on my trip reports. thanks