Colvin and Blake- From Heaven to Hell

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

king tut

Reaction score
My Aborted Deathmarch Krawl of a month ago which included Dial and Nippletop but aborted Colvin and Blake, made me go back to summit the mighty peaks of Colvin and Blake this fine day. I had this hike on my mind for a few weeks but I was unable to go out to New York as I was suffering from the plague or whatever viral ailment was attacking my pathetic immune system lately. Seriously body, what the heck is going on with you???

So last night, I was still feeling under the weather and running a fever so I all but cancelled the hike in my mind. I went to bed around 10 friday night and awoke just prior to 7 in the morning today, and surprisingly did not feel a pounding headache or general lethargy as i did in the past few weeks. I have been exercising a little this week after suffering going up the mighty Stowe Pinnacle on Monday, a staggering 3 mile and 1500 vertical feet, and just feeling wiped out. So i did not think too much, just jumped in my car, filled it up with gas, and made a stop at Dunkin Donuts for some coffee and some food. I arrived at St Huberts right around nine and headed up to the country club and then up the three mile section of boring road while drinking my water bottle full of OJ. I'd be damned if I was going to spend another day lying around on a couch.

After about an hour and a half of walking, i arrived at Indian Head, to find a beautiful view, and a dissipation of my weeks long headache.

This was the image that I tried to draw in last month's trip report when i had forgotten my camera on the Dial and Nippletop hike, not sure which one was better, you can be the judge.

The trail from Indian Head to Colvin was a gentle uphill and I arrived on the summit sometime around 11:30 or so. I said to myself, "self this is a pretty darn easy hike, i hope the rest of the way to Blake is as nice as this has been". I snapped some pics of the Great Range and then headed on the way over to Blake, excited to grab another peak on this melancholy hike.

About .6 of a mile after Colvin, the trail went from happy forest, to a diabolical vision of a trail. Steep drop offs, lots of roots, plenty of mud, and nowhere to put your feet without being in peril. There was one section that was just a large smooth rock face, about 25 feet of vertical, and only a crack to be able to get feet and hand holds on in order to descend and ascend. Awesome... This pic won't do it justice.

I ascended to the viewless, soul-less peak of Blake, and snapped one pick of the Great Range on the root filled climb up to the top. Just had to do one B&W.

I retraced my steps and crawled out of the wilderness around 4 p.m., with visions of pizza in my head. A nice climb it was, and I also enjoyed the Gill Brook trail on the way out. I reckon it was about 15 miles and 4,000 or so of vertical. Almost 1/2 way done the 46, numbers 21 and 22!

Last edited:
I have fond memories of that crevice in that huge rock slab!!
It was a nice day when I went over Colvin, then started to pour on the summit...making the round trip to Blake nothing short of a mudslide ride out of a themepark....coming back down Colvin, the crevice and slabs had turned into a waterfall, with its spout shooting out of the crevice....good fun and a great way to wash off the mud!!

Glad you had such a great hike and congrats on being nearly halfway there! :)

Great TR. Nice pics and glad you're feeling better. Nothing like a hike to get you back on track. Congratulations on you half way point.:D

Great TR and glad you're feeling better!

My climbing partner and I have a date with Colvin and Blake in three weeks, and your trip summary is further motivating us.

We're looking forward to practicing our hand jams on that crack! ;)

The Crack was definitely fun to climb up, it was a little tricky coming down that sucker though. Can't imagine doing that in the rain :eek:! Thanks for the comments, hope you guys enjoy the hike coming up! Definitely check out Indian Head and Fish Hawk Cliffs, worth the short detour!