Completing the NE115 8/28/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doodles

Reaction score
Completing the NE115

Six peaks left in Maine for the NE115. A plan was made to start at the South end of Maine and work towards the top. I made a few contacts for companions for the trip, and when I presented the idea to Snickers the response was more than enthusiastic. She also needed the peaks that I had planned.

Day 1. We left New Paltz at 6 AM Aug 24. Destination was Grafton Notch State Park. We made it to the trailhead by 2PM. We chatted a bit with a hiker from Boston who inquired about a good hike in the area and we told him where we were going and gave him the stats on the hike. We started our hike by 2:30. Nice day with scattered clouds we proceeded up the AT. I always feel at home when I see the white blazes. The trail was great, temperature was comfortable and the journey began. As we came near the summit the clouds were blowing over the top. They were blowing up one side and blowing down the other. We broke out into the clearing at the tower and the first peak was bagged. We took our summit picture, climbed the tower for some limited views, and then the hiker from the parking lot showed up so we chatted some more while we had our snack. Time to head back down. We made it out and headed for Auger Falls to splash some water on our faces and find some place to eat.

We ate and continued driving towards our next destination, the Stratton Region. We drove to about 11PM and pulled over for the night. A long first day. One peak and a lot of driving.

Day 2. We finished the drive into Stratton for some breakfast, then to the base lodge of Sugarloaf. We made our way up the ski slopes. Some of which were rather steep. About half way up the slopes turned into a field of raspberries. A real weakness of mine is wild berries. I ate until I couldn’t eat no more. Nothing like fresh berries. As I caught up to Snickers, she spotted a Moose on the next slope over. A nice sight to see on the way up. We made it to the top. A bit hazy and cloudy. A nice summit if you can ignore all the towers.

Continuing on we went down the side trail to the AT and headed South toward Spaulding. Met up with numerous thru hikers that were nearing the end of their fabulous journey. Chatted to some and a quick hello to others. We made out way to Spaulding and another quick picture and snack.

At this point Snickers decided to head back and I would head to Abraham solo. I made good time over to Abraham. As I went across the first rock field the exposed summit showed itself. I made my way across the three bumps and up to the summit. The skies and haze had cleared and the views were stunning. The wind was howling across the top. I took a series of pictures, a quick break and headed back. I had made arrangements for Snickers to pick me up at the AT crossing on Caribou Pond Rd. I made my way down off of Abraham, back over the shoulder of Spaulding, then back over the shoulder of Sugarloaf down to Caribou Pond Rd. I made my way out with perfect timing to meet Snickers and a hiker Dave that she had met. A long hiking day with a lot of ups and downs.

Dave had an unsuccessful attempt for Redington that day. He had decided to hook up with us for the next day.

Day 3. Meet up with Dave, compare descriptions on which roads and trails to take to get to Redington, and the three of us were headed down towards Caribou Pond. We found the cairns and wooden arrows along the way. The descriptions from other trail reports made sense as we encountered them. The trail was pleasant and the day was perfect. The summit was easily found. A picture at the canister, we all signed in, and a quick lunch before heading down. We checked out Caribou Pond on the way back. A real nice area.
We all went down to Stratton for a hot shower. We said good-by to Dave, a real pleasure hiking with him, and we were on the road again heading North. We drove until dark once again and found a place to camp.

Day 4. Up at the first sign of light. Pack up, stop for breakfast in Millinocket and we were Baxter bound. Heading down the road we got our first glimpse of Katahdin. We stopped to take a few pictures before heading in. The day was looking absolutely perfect. Blue skies, not a cloud in sight. We went into Roaring Brook, checked in and started our hike for the day. Destination was Hamlin Peak the hard way. We proceeded up the Helon Taylor Tr up to Pamola. What a spectacular peak. Then ahead of us was the awesome Knife Edge. The sun was shining, not a cloud in the sky, but the winds were howling and gusting which kept us on our toes. There were numerous groups that had to wait their turn to make the climb up and down the summit cone of Pamola. Once on the Edge we slowly proceeded the 1.1 miles over to Baxter Peak. We made our way over to Baxter to a crowd of hikers. It was a great traverse to say the least. We had lunch and yet had to get to our destination of the day. We headed down the Saddle Tr and over to Hamlin Peak. The views once again were absolutely spectacular no matter where you looked. The view looking across to the Knife Edge that we just came across was mesmerizing. With a long day behind us and miles yet to go we headed down the Hamlin Ridge Tr and out Chimney Pond Tr. A perfect day.

Day 5. Peak #115. We drove to the Marston Tr which was the beginning of the end. North Brother was the final destination. Another beautiful day and a beautiful trail. A bit tired from the previous day we took our time heading up. As we started to break above the trees the views once again were stunning. We got a great look back towards Baxter Peak from yet another angle. As we rock hopped the summit sign came into view. The final peak was near. I hopped to the top as Snickers took my picture with my arms raised. I vowed that this would be my last list as I gazed over to Fort one way and South Brother the other. Today this was the last list, since I left the HH peaks possibly for another day.

We had a absolutely perfect trip to spectacular destinations and I would like to thank Snickers for accompanying me on my finish.

A few pictures.
http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2854465130093435686hlYqZB

Congrats

Nicely done Doodles. What a great adventure eh?
Glad you had great weather in Baxter for the finally. :)

Congrats on your finish!!

Your report brought back some good memories of Katahdin, CVR, and some of the other places we have ventured to.. Fort will be there for another day

ferrisjrf said:
Did your sign-in look something like this? :cool:

pic%201.jpg

Congrats George!

Jason

Thanks everybody. :D

Yes Jason, that looks like my handwriting on the Doodles entry. The life story that follows would be courtesy of Snickers. :eek:

So I guess you were there? Wasn't that one of the easiest trailless peaks you ever went up? Nice mountain anyway.

George, great TR and pics. Wow, what an accomplishment! I don't know what is more impressive, completing the 115 or just those past five days! You had a great partner and great weather. Congrats to you, job well done.
-Tony

Welcome to the club. How many folks down by us (me - poughkeepsie) do you know have completed this feat? Besides Tom & Dawn.