Completing the Winter 115 on Baxter Peak

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RoySwkr said:
So is that 2 x 115 in winter? How many people have done that?

It appears that some people that days used skis, snowshoes, crampons, and boots - maybe they should be called the Compleat Mountaineer.

Yes. 2 x 115. Hmmm? I asked the same question and Dennis thought that Bruce Brown might have already done it.

Looking at the ADK 46er website, I did not see Ed Hawkins name listed on the winter completers list. I know he has hiked over there.

John H Swanson said:
Looking at the ADK 46er website, I did not see Ed Hawkins name listed on the winter completers list. I know he has hiked over there.
I don't think Ed has finished the ADK's in winter yet, but I think he's close. He did many of them the winter of '02 when he accompanied Ann G. (along with others, including myself) on her goal of becoming a winter 111'er.

Ed Hawkins says he is still short 14 peaks in the Adirondacks, didn't get over this year due to family considerations.

But a new challenge for Cath, and a new "wow" from everybody else, he has hiked at least one 4k peak on every date (not all the same year) (366 x 1) and as of yesterday needed just 11 dates to have done 2 separate 4k hikes on each date. One of these dates is March 22 so this post may be out of date when you read it. His favorite date is January 1 with peaks in 12 years plus twice turned around on Lion Head due to weather.

Someone has already climbed the same peak every day of the year so I suggest that the next challenge for sluggards who can't keep up with EH is to climb a different peak (any height, anywhere) on each date.

The three real challenges out there that are left to be claimed are:

1) all 115 in one winter.
2) 12 x 46 in one calandar year
3) 12 x 48 in one calendar year

I say this as they represent endurance and persistance where as the previously mentioned goala are more about persistance alone.

John H Swanson said:
I say this as they represent endurance and persistance where as the previously mentioned goala are more about persistance alone.
Not to mention being independently wealthy! Those lists are all more than 1 peak a day!

One could also expand their horizons.

Yes, I realize this is a Northeast hiking site. However... there are many, many peakbagging LISTS out there, including the U.S. highpoints, CO 14ers/13ers, numerous Sierra/CA lists (the Sierra Club website is quite extensive & impressive), Cascade lists, etc., etc., etc.!

For starters, check out www.climber.org and click on "data." The site lists the highest *2000* peaks in CA, CO, WA, NV, and OR. I wonder if anyone has done them all?? :p

With a willing & able body & pocketbook as well as the desire, a peakbagging aficionado could be busy for a long, long time...

John H Swanson said:

Certainly the 46x12 and the 48x12 (aka 576 grid) even over a lifetime represent persistence, in this world of short attention spans.

Have the 67 New England 4s been completed in one calendar winter?

Has anyone other than Cath; Tim (twice); Cave Dog; the Fitch Brothers; Doug Mayer, Cruddytoes and their sidekick twice over; completed all 48 NH 4s in one calendar month (ex. Stinkyfeet and Frodo straddled two months, December and January, three years ago; not sure about those summertime efforts).

John H Swanson said:

Not the 770 in one year?

Actually I consider the above to be about speed and endurance, I would consider anything that you can do in a year to not require the highest grade of persistance.

67 in one winter

rumor has it that one of the MEAN girls got all 67 this winter??
very impressive!!!

Cath said:
And the days go by
Like a strand in the wind
In the web that is my own
I begin again

Started on Cannon Soltice Eve, and finished on the Bonds on March 16th

Congrats to Cath on a very fine one calendar winter achievement, which got me thinking about whether anyone has tried to ski all of NH48s in one winter? The reason that I bring this one up is that after I got going again in late February after a two-month layoff I noticed ski tracks on nearly all the NH4s that I hiked, including Carrigain, Osceola (not East Peak), Waumbek, and others.