Composition "rules"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grandaddy

Reaction score
I have enjoyed looking at, and sometimes critiquing photographs. One thing that I am noticing is there are alot of suggestions to adhere to the rule of thirds.

Rules can easily box in one's artistic impression. Fitting the composition of the scene to a certain formula can help to add drama to a photo, but if contantly leaned on, can ultimately lead to boring "professional-looking" photos. The rule of thirds will usually yield good results, but it is kind of like the action movie with the archetypal 10-minute chase scene at the end. It is entertaining and all, but not exactly groundbreaking. I guess that it is a matter of taste.

The only rules that need to be adhered to is to enjoy shooting, and enjoy what you are doing (i.e. hiking) while you are shooting.

You know, I think if I managed to capture a legit shot of Sasquatch, no one would care if it was in the lower left hand corner of the screen! :eek: :D

Well...I agree that the rules can be broken and that rules can stifle creativity (OMG, did I use that cliche? :eek: ), learning those rules helps even when you break them. I notice that my earliest compositions were amateurish and not in keeping with the rules. But now, I can compose shots that, at least, I like that are outside the rules. I feel that knowledge of the rules helps the composure even when you go outside the rules. Does that make any sense?

Here, I purposely put this big cow "leading out" of the frame, instead of "leading in". I like it, although it was deemed too "left-sided" by a very good moderator on a nature photo site. I wanted to balance the moose and her environment, as opposed to the environment just complimenting the moose.

autumn-cownpn.jpg

happy trails :)

Last edited:
forestgnome said:
Well...I agree that the rules can be broken and that rules can stifle creativity (OMG, did I use that cliche? :eek: ), learning those rules helps even when you break them. I notice that my earliest compositions were amateurish and not in keeping with the rules. But now, I can compose shots that, at least, I like that are outside the rules. I feel that knowledge of the rules helps the composure even when you go outside the rules. Does that make any sense?

Here, I purposely put this big cow "leading out" of the frame, instead of "leading in". I like it, although it was deemed too "left-sided" by a very good moderator on a nature photo site. I wanted to balance the moose and her environment, as opposed to the environment just complimenting the moose.

happy trails :)

Hey forestgnome, nice shot. Like the colors.

Kevin

forestgnome said:
Not that I am an expert but I would agree with you more if the moose appeared to be walking out of the frame...

Nothing wrong with walking "out", though I'd like to see more room on the right side of the moose so that you KNOW it was done on purpose, otherwise it can be interpreted as a mistake.

It is common practice to put the subject facing in, as it creates a sense of space and scale. Here are 2 very different example yet very similar crops.

IMG_0899.jpg

Caron_bradbury.jpg

hmm try here and here.