Concord, NH trails for day hikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

One Half

Reaction score
I'm heading up to NH next month to take care of my mom for a bit. I won't have time to go into the mountains but I would like to be able to squeeze in short hikes close to Concord just to get into nature. Trails that are 3-5 miles, whether out and back or loops (preferably) would be great.

Can you help a lady out?

TIA

How close to Concord are you looking for? Under an hour, 1-2, etc?

peaks near Concord

38 minutes: Pawtuckaway is a fun set of peaks - it's the rim of an ancient caldera. There's also a field of giant boulders (look for the Boulder Trail northwest of Round Pond)
trail map (on page 2). It's still summer season, so you might want to make a parking reservation . (First, study the map and choose your trailhead. The main parking by the lake is about a mile walk from the hills, so you might prefer the Reservation Rd entrance.) NH State Parks - Pawtuckaway State Park

32 minutes: Kearsarge (a.k.a. Kearsarge South) is also a nice little peak. NH State Parks - Rollins State Park

1 hour: Mt Cardigan is another small gem. (Try the Holt Trail if you like very steep trails, but you'll want to go during the week because parking on the east side is insane on weekends.) NH State Parks - Cardigan Mountain State Park

Mt Monadnock isn't much further - another classic bare peak with fantastic views (but may be very crowded).

But the Whites are actually closer than that. For something quick with a view, try the Rattlesnakes on Squam Lake, or the other Rattlesnake (above Rumney), or maybe Mt Pemigewasset in Franconia Notch, or the Welch-Dickey loop on the way to Waterville Valley, or ....

Last edited:
peaks near Concord

38 minutes: Pawtuckaway is a fun set of peaks - it's the rim of an ancient caldera. There's also a field of giant boulders (look for the Boulder Trail northwest of Round Pond)
trail map (on page 2). It's still summer season, so you might want to make a parking reservation . (First, study the map and choose your trailhead. The main parking by the lake is about a mile walk from the hills, so you might prefer the Reservation Rd entrance.) NH State Parks - Pawtuckaway State Park

32 minutes: Kearsarge (a.k.a. Kearsarge South) is also a nice little peak. NH State Parks - Rollins State Park

1 hour: Mt Cardigan is another small gem. (Try the Holt Trail if you like very steep trails, but you'll want to go during the week because parking on the east side is insane on weekends.) NH State Parks - Cardigan Mountain State Park

Mt Monadnock isn't much further - another classic bare peak with fantastic views (but may be very crowded).

But the Whites are actually closer than that. For something quick with a view, try the Rattlesnakes on Squam Lake, or the other Rattlesnake (above Rumney), or maybe Mt Pemigewasset in Franconia Notch, or the Welch-Dickey loop on the way to Waterville Valley, or ....
Thanks!

How close to Concord are you looking for? Under an hour, 1-2, etc?
Even an hour might be pushing it and I'm just looking for about a 2hr hike MAX.
Although if it's something between Concord (where I'm staying) and Rochester I might be able to hit something short after spending time taking Mom to doctor's appointments. It's mostly a mental health thing I need it for, not looking to bag any peaks.

I live in Concord at the city has over 80 miles of trails. With the two newest trails on Oak Hill, it's possible to hike about ten miles out there. You can also fashion several loop hikes.

I also heartily recommend Great Hill/Nottingcook Forest in Bow. Super views to the north from Great Hill and the terrain within the forest is pretty diverse.

https://bowopenspaces.com/nottingcook-town-forest/

Between Concord and Rochester are Epsom Town Forest and Stonehouse Forest in Barrington.

The former features the summit of Neville Peak and the latter is a large, relatively new trail system that includes Stonehouse Pond and its cliff.

There is also an official trail system on Saddleback Mtn. in Northwood now but there isn't too much public info out there about it yet.

Blue Job in Strafford/Farmington is right near Rochester.

Also, you'll go right by Parker Mountain, if you take Rt 126 from Concord to Rochester.

Even an hour might be pushing it and I'm just looking for about a 2hr hike MAX.
Although if it's something between Concord (where I'm staying) and Rochester I might be able to hit something short after spending time taking Mom to doctor's appointments. It's mostly a mental health thing I need it for, not looking to bag any peaks.

Maybe someone with better knowledge of the area can chime in, but there Hart Town Forest which looks to be just off rte 202 (assumed road you'd take between the two locations). There is Fort Mountain which might fit the bill.

Yup, Fort Mtn. would be good too. No trails but hikers are welcome on the access road. There are some good views at the summit but the best spot is the area of ledges about 0.1 mi. south of the summit buildings.

Hooksett, just south of Concord, has the Heads Pond trail. The official trail is a boring flat 1.5 miles (one way, so 3 out and back) but there are a lot of side trails that I've explored the last several years and I can get up to 7 mile loops with only a couple of repeat miles. Nothing is signed or mapped though, but it's not too hard to figure things out just by exploring.