Conditions along AT in MA or nw CT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikrgrl

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has beta on conditions. Dreaming about a backpacking trip this coming weekend, and toying with a few options: Greylock....or Race & Everett....or Bear Mtn. in CT....or ??? I have friends who would probably be less-than-enthusiastic about going "all the way" up to NH (also, from my trip this weekend, I know that conditions up there are deteriorating).

How much snow is left, if any? Water crossing info? Anything else of note?

Most of my snow is gone from by backyard in Pittsfield but there would still be snow up on Greylock I would think and it is mud season here in the berkshires. None of the stream crossings in Greylock are that bad though at least along the AT up Cheshire Harbor trail unless you go off trail. Temps overnight will still be below freezing though if that is any concern.

And the water is still cold. A 21 year old man just died on the Housatonic in Stockbridge on saturday. Canoring at 2am with no PFD nor any kind of dry suit when the canoe capsized.

Jay

I just hiked the Race Brook Falls Trail to the A.T. between Everett and Race on Saturday, reaching a top elevaton of about 1950'. There is more snow than not once you get to about 1400', except in places that get a lot of sun, and pretty much continuous snow of 4-8 inches above 1700'. I've heard there was a lot of drifting up on Race, which is prone to it, and I'd bet Bear would have that in places, too, maybe less so on Everett with its bigger, flatter top. The snow is melting apace - by the end of next weekend, I'd say a good 40% of the snow I saw will be melted.

The higher reaches of the Greylock Range, needless to say, will have a lot more snow in the thickly forested areas and on north-facing slopes, though Greylock's open summit areas will likely be a wind-swept mixed bag. The temps up on the plateau in SW Mass were up to about 45 F on Saturday, when it was around 50 for a high in the valley. The brook and the falls are running nicely, but are well past peak snow-melt flow. Light traction helps in places, and if you take the falls option on the RBF trail, there's a place where you have to work around the usual routing, which is blocked with a large ice flow left of the fourth falls, ascending, which is impassable without crampons and either an axe or rope. The work-around is doable, though, and readily evident.

Last edited:
We got a dusting yesterday and overnight here in Pittsfield on Monday, April 1st. Not enough to impede me from biking to work but it was enough to give a dusting to my grass and even the shoulders of the road. It's certainly cold enough overnight to stick...

Jay

AT / Pine Knob Loop 4/4/2013

This afternoon was so nice I did the Pine Knob Loop in Sharon, CT which joins the AT for a short bit, less than a mile, at about 1,000ft. Just a bit south of the area you are looking at, perhaps. I saw only traces of snow/ice, and even those were few and far between. Mostly the trail was dry and in fine shape. Here is a picture of the AT looking north from the AT/Pine Knob(North leg) junction:

attachment.php

TomK

Attachments

• PineKnob1.jpg
    PineKnob1.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 186
Thanks for all the input. I've got my heart set on something AT related, so I think I'm going to head a little further south in CT, maybe hit St. John Ledges or go up Mt. Riga. Thanks!!