Congratulations Ed Hawkins

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim lombard

Reaction score
On Tuesday Ed Hawkins climbed Mt Passaconaway and has now hiked to the top of a 4,000 footer every calendar day of the year. :eek:

His words:
"I had previoiusly been able to say that I had hiked/climbed
a significant peak ( N.E. 100 or N.H. 100 ), on every
calendar day. I've been sitting on this particular date
for quite some time ( due to timing, condtions, weather,
etc. ).

I can now say that I have hiked/climbed a 4000 footer on
every calendar day ( 366 days )."

Amazing Ed, Congratulations!!! :)

Is Ed the only person to have done this?

Yes, I believe Ed's been undergoing treatment now for some time. We may have shared the same therapist ... Hasn't worked for me either.

cantdog said:
When did he start? How many 2/29s did he do it in?

I read this report to mean he has climbed atleast ONE 4000-footer on every day of the year, so really he'd only need to have climbed something over 4000 feet on one Feb 29 . . .

Am I reading this report correctly or did he actually climb every NH 4K every day of the year, that would take longer than a lifetime, I would think?

sli74

Congratulations Ed!!!

That is truly amazing! If you read this Ed perhaps you'd like to share some of your "journey" with us. Doing it every day you had to have experienced some incredible(good & bad) weather :eek: Any "close calls" :confused: Etc...

Sooo...what's next??? Whatever it is, I wish you all the best :)

As prodigious as Ed's hiking accomplishments are, I'd like to recognize (and thank) him for welcoming me and scores of others on his hiking odysseys. Always inclusive, freely sharing nuggets of hiking wisdom, and emphasizing "group" over individual... he's a terrific mentor!

Whenever I am winter solo hiking in the Whites and thinking that I am not going see anyone, such as in coming down Garfield yesterday, I bump into Ed. This guy is everywhere!

A couple of years ago Ed and I had a discussion on climbing all 48 NH4's on February 29th, and concluded one had better begin at a younger age than we are! Say that you are really efficient and can hike eight peaks in six 24-hour days (midnight to midnight), and get great weather on February 29th every four years, you would still need 24 years to complete the list. I think that this topic also may have been a past thread on this site?