Connie’s Way Ski loop (Pinkham Notch) 2/21/2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthShore

Reaction score
This was mostly a ski as opposed to a hike, but it was an interesting day for me and I was in the mood to write a trip report.

I’m not an accomplished back country skier and this seemed a good way to challenge myself without getting too crazy. The route was a loop from Pinkham Notch consisting primarily of Old Jackson Road (OJR), the Auto Road, and the Connie’s Way ski trail. I used waxless skis, no skins. I don’t own and have never used skins but I can see how they would be useful and more comfortable on steeper climbs.
DSCN1071s.jpg
Old Jackson Road from Pinkham was firmly packed and bare-bootable if you stayed in the snowshoe track. For skiing, it’s a bit tricky to herringbone up the steep section because of the narrowness of the packed hiking trail, but it was an interesting way to gain over 600 feet in elevation for this novice. Shortly before the end of Old Jackson Road there is a cutoff shortcut to the Auto Road, but I stayed on the trail to the end. I had to take my skis off for a couple of ledges and hiked the last couple of tenths of a mile past the Raymond Path and Nelson Crag trail junctions to the auto road at about 2700 feet. There is a nice little evergreen forest just before reaching the end of OJR.
DSCN1091s.jpg
I met a fairly large group of hikers crossing back over the Auto Road after having visited Lowes Bald Spot. From there it is about 1.5 miles and 800 vertical feet down the Auto Road to intersection of Connie’s Way. The road is frozen hard in a washboard pattern from the snow cats used by the Auto Road/ Great Glen Trails people, but still provided a good long downhill ski to Connie’s Way. There was a narrow frozen track down the middle of the road that was either formed by a very long schuss on skinny skis or more likely by something dangling from a tractor that gouged it. Either way I noticed that I had to be careful to cut assertively across it on my turns or it had a habit of grabbing a ski and not letting it go. I wasn’t in any mood to schuss the auto road. I started a little tentatively in a snow plow, but soon realized I could make halfway decent parallel turns and quick stops despite the free heel (stuff I take for granted on my Alpine skis).

Toward Connie’s Way there were some bare spots on the Auto Road that weren’t difficult to go around; everywhere else I was on this loop there was full snow cover, but not necessarily enough to cover up obstacles, especially on the ski trail back to Pinkham.

For someone who is a better skier than me, Connie’s Way might be more fun than I had for the first mile and a half from the auto road. There were some old frozen ski tracks, but probably not recent and the snow was very hard, often with a breakable crust. There was enough snow for the deep postholes from one or more Moose that were everywhere, but not enough on the trail to be a real problem. There was not enough snow to cover the brush on the sides of the narrow trail and that was more of a problem. There wasn’t room to turn on the downhills or to make a wide enough “V” on steeper uphills without getting my skis hung up in brush. A few times when I opted to sidestep up or down my tails broke through the crust which then wanted to hold them tight. I was alone and didn’t want to get hurt, so I got very cautious and I noticed it was taking a long time. A couple of times I took the skis off and walked over difficult sections but soon got to areas where I was clearly better off with the skis back on. I think I should have been more eager to get the skis off for short sections earlier.
DSCN1096s.JPG
In addition the Moose postholes, there were lots of other tracks following the ski trail, including more than one coyote, at least one of which seemed quite large from the footprints. I wasn’t sure if someone had skied there with their dog, but I did see some hairy scat at one point. Aside from the tough time I had on the ski trail, which I attribute both to my skill level and to difficult conditions, it passes through some interesting terrain, hemmed in under cliffs to the right in places and with an ever changing view of the Wildcat ski area frequently visible on the left. Once roughly abreast of the ski area the trail got a lot friendlier and the last mile and a half back to Pinkham was a much nicer ski, but the mile and a half before that was slow and tiring for me. It will be nice to get out on some soft snow…if there is such a thing anymore.
DSCN1081s.jpg

Last edited:
I enjoyed your trip report - skiing is pretty enjoyable despite the obstacles one never even thinks about when showshoeing!!! It's been a tough winter to find *anything* skiable!!! Keep getting out there!!! :)

Glad you enjoyed Connies Way, this is actually one of my favorites for a quick close-by afternoon. I only do it out and back though, but often want to do the loop you describe.

Too bad you didn't have better conditions, I know what it's like as you experienced. Some places around here had caught enough minor passing fluff to soften that base we've been stuck with, I was wondering about this trail. Although all is changed for now!

Luckily you did have the surprising scenic beauty of this trail that is always the reward regardless of conditions. Also the frequent wildlife bonuses, last I was there I hung out with one of those moose.

Hi I met you on your way up OJR that day I was the one hiking with my dog Abby a 26 lb red-tan and white aussie mix. Glad you enjoyed the trip. We enjoyed our day.

I remember speaking with you. You told me about the large group that I ran into later. Abby seemed a little nervous about my skis.

Ed

I remember speaking with you. You told me about the large group that I ran into later. Abby seemed a little nervous about my skis.

Ed

The group was too large to be in the great gulf wilderness but hey, they were a bunch of teens/kids and it's good to see kids getting outside. Now Abby is used to seeing people on skis; she's also very protective of me when I'm alone with her but we're working on her trail manners.

We did the same route early in the season except that we opted to ski all the way down the auto road. Our snow levels were pretty low when we did it and I actually took my ski's off on the steepest part of OJR and just booted it. I also took my skis off on the top where the ledges were. When we got to Connie's Way it was frozen and unbroken - we had enough adventure at that point ;-)