Cool Stuff Hidden in the Northeast

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Inge, the unfortunate news is that the Beers Atlas was a limited addition printing, and that was about 25 years ago. My sister bought it for my birthday. The atlas I have is only Berkshire County, but Beers did his survey work throughout Massachusetts, and I believe perhaps the whole Northeast.

The good news is that you can look at a copy of these atlases in most libraries. They're part of the reference section, so they can't be loaned out, but I'm sure you can look at them and make copies.

The copy I own was Printed by the Berkshire Courier in Great Barrington, Mass. in 1977. I think the Courier went belly up. The book company that published it is called Four Pines Book, and the copyright is to a George G. Francis.

They really are a wealth of knowledge!

Thanks, Masshysteria!

Hey I may be slow, but I finally got the twist on your user name!! - very cool!

I'll be checking out the library!

Dudleytown Website

Hi all... I found this site a while back about Dudleytown...

http://www.legendofdudleytown.com/front.html

There is an audio clip that will play when you are at the site, butyou can turn it down.

I have noticed that there are quite a few sites that both enforce the legend and those that de-bunk it.

Enjoy!
Kevin

Plane Wrecks

You can also use the geocaching.com website for search, topo, and GPS coordinates. There are several plane crash sites in the Cats (as noted earlier) that are accesible - some are a bush whack some are just a short tangent off a marked trail.

The sites are very interesting - though I have only seen one. It can be uncomfortable however to tread where lives were lost and the memory of the disaster is visable through the wreckage.

You might want to get in touch with MAVS00. I think at one point he was compiling a record of plane crash sites in the ADKs.

I don't know if I'd say I'm compiling a record of them but, I have asked around and would/do enjoy wandering about looking for things. It's my understanding, when it comes to crash sites, that there are;

2 on Nye
2 on Seward
1 on Marshall
1 on Santanoni
1 on Wright (we've all seen that one)
1 on Boreas Peak (Private Property though) :(

and a bunch of others I'm sure.......

Besides the one on Wright, the one on Marshall and one of the ones on Seward are right off the trail and easily visited if you know where they are. The other on Seward even has a plaque too. I'm not sure of the exact location of other ones, just a vague idea.

I think there are lots of cool stuff out there. I've even heard that in some places, you can find old camps (and cabins) still out there. If you bushwack into more remote places (like the Five Ponds Wilderness), you'd probably be amazed at what you might find :)

Follow the bushwackers and hunters, they know where all this cool stuff is. You might have to lube 'em up with a few beers first though. Be wary of post'er boy though, the things he discovers would make a decent Stephen King novel ;).

Last edited: