Coppermine on Cannon?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WSC

Reaction score
Hello,
There is Coppermine trail on the backside of cannon that leads to Bridal Veil Falls, and there is Coppermine Col between NorthEast Cannonball, and Cannon on the Kinsmans Ridge trail. Does anyone know where the Coppermine itself was? Also is there still an old trail or logging road that you can get to it from?
thanks
WSC

The most I can find is this passage from Place Names in the White Mountains by Robert and Mary Julyan:
Coppermine Brook

This brook, running northeast from Kinsman Ridge, received its name from the copper mine on its banks. Copper ore was mined here for many years in the 1800s and smelted in the iron foundry in Franconia.
Not much detail :)

There was a copper mine on the former Brooks farm. It was a draft or surface mine only about 20 feet deep, according to the local historian, Sarah Welch. That land later passed into the hands of the Peckett family. (Father Peckett was famous for developing downhill skiing here.) As you follow the Coppermine Trail up from the trailhead, you'll see a grown-over trail leading to your right in about .5 mile. I suspect that may have led up to it but have never followed it. It passes onto private land fairly soon, I think.

If you follow the Coppermine Trail further up, the brook is on your right. But about a mile up the trail you'll find yourself almost facing the brook. At that point, if the water level is low enough, you can still see iron pins in the rocks. I believe there must have been a bridge across to the other side. You can still make out a faint trail on the other side. Whether it led to a mine or was part of one of the numerous logging roads in the area, I don't know.

Last edited:
Coppermine trail used to continue up to the right (S) of the falls and then N and E and join with the Tucker Brook Tr high on Cannon. A bit of the upper portion is still skiable. (according to Backcountry Skiing by David Goodman).

The trail is shown on the 1:25K topo.

Doug

Thanks

Thanks for all your info, I will get a detailed Topo and Try and find it. When I was younger we had three abandoned surface mica mines in the woods in my backyard. Probally won't find it, but will have fun rambling in the woods. I always wanted to explore some of those logging areas.
Thanks again
WSC :)

Any oxidized copper?

If there was a mine on the creek, there should be turquoise oxidized copper ore in the stream and perhaps some exposed rock around it.
If there is, where it stops appearing in the stream would be the point just above the mine.
No?

DougPaul said:
Coppermine trail used to continue up to the right (S) of the falls and then N and E and join with the Tucker Brook Tr high on Cannon. A bit of the upper portion is still skiable. (according to Backcountry Skiing by David Goodman).
I have done this route on snowshoes, a long but easy way up Cannon. Most of the trail was well cleared but they let it grow in where it joined the regular ski trail sort of like Hale Firewardens Trail.

And I think I remember a hiker bridge across the brook where pins are mentioned.

WSC said:
Thanks for all your info, I will get a detailed Topo and Try and find it. When I was younger we had three abandoned surface mica mines in the woods in my backyard. Probally won't find it, but will have fun rambling in the woods. I always wanted to explore some of those logging areas.
Thanks again
WSC :)
If you want some company I'd love to go along. I've found several old mines throuout the state and I'm always looking for more.
http://www.mindat.org/loc-9273.html This link references it but doesn't give coords.
Bob

The trail is shown on the 1:25K topo.

Doug

Hey DP,
I tried to make my way from Tuckerbrook trail across to Bridalveil following the topo detail yesterday, but it was getting late. It began at the end of the runout below 13 turns. It was pretty much a whack. I found a wee bit of "pruning", presumably for ski stash. I didn't want to find myself too close to the cliffs so late in the day as the whack was really slow going. For another day.