Cotton Mountain, via Ct Mountain Trail, Bushwacks 3/23

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverfox

Reaction score
Trail Conditions: Badly postholed down below..then refrozen..tricky even with snow shoes..I stayed off to the side of trail and bushwacked mostly.. Rejoined trail around half way up where damage was less..firm footing..parking area plowed

Special Equipment: Snowshoes with traction a must..poles

Comments:..That weren't no Peter Cottontail trashing up this lower trail..More like an elephant..Badly postholed..where were the police when this was going on? Once past the gravel pit I circled south a few hundred yards and made a pretty easy ascent through open woods to rejoin the trail about half way up..from there the going was easy.. some substantial herd paths in places crossing the trail and on the way down I followed a couple of those north toward Livermore, entered the gravel pit and found my way back to the truck.. Felt guilty about skiing..downhill..Bretton Woods..it was excellent..this morning so wanted to get out for a brief hike at least.. Should have gone higher today but I was somewhat dissuaded by high winds predicted though they were moderate at Bretton/Crawford Notch and light in Holderness....Snow is melting but still 3 feet in the woods..even at this southern low elevation spot...