Couch to Emmons Bushwhack.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
I'm looking for a partner to do the following hike:
Newcomb-Erminebrook slide-Santanoni-Couch-Cold River-Ouluska Brook-Emmons Slide-Coreys.
The plan is to depart Newcomb after spotting a car at Coreys on Wed. the 17th of August and to finish on Sat the 20th, then head over to the gathering.

I've done what research there was to be done and am pretty well all set to go. If you like slides and bushwhacking this trip will be the trip of the century.
Send CV to PO box # ...just kidding

Let me know here if you're a masoch..uhh...I mean interested.

Actually, in an attempt to go ultralite I'm leaving my mind at home. I know, not much of a weight savings there but hell, every milligram helps.

Neil, this trip sounds crazy enough to be a lot of fun. I'm definitely interested, Ermine Brook has been something I've wanted to do for a while but never got around to it. The rest of it, well....

Some more details: where are you planning on overnighting ? Moose Pond & Cold River ? Starting AM or PM on the 17th ?

Bob

RDL,
My plan is spot a car at Coreys on Wed. the 17th then scoot over to Newcomb and hike part way up the Erminebrook camping at about 2500 feet.

Thurs. is the big day. Up the slide, over Santa and onwards to Couch. We will probably descend Panther Brook for water. Once on Couch, depending on the time, weather, fatigue etc. I would either go down to the Cold R. aiming for the LT on the NPT or go over towards a sub peak West of Couch where there looks to be level ground below 3500 feet.

Friday I would like to take it easy and hang out in the Cold River Valley.
Sat. would see us start early and go up the Ouluska brook then cut west to the Emmons slide. This will be steep but if too steep for comfort there's always shwacking off to the side. From the slide's top its a short but thick and gnarly shwack to Emmons. From there it's a walk in the park down to the car.
Then comes the crux of the trip: getting to the gathering before the food's all gone.

I've checked the route out in Topo! and have all the distances and elevtion gains/losses in a .tpo file.

I also have collected beta from several sources (threads, PM's, e-mails) that I can send you.
Send me your e-mail address:
[email protected]

Sounds like a great trip,one I've thought of many times and was just looking at.I know two brothers who told me about this trip a few years ago.Would love to go but all of aug.booked.Look forward to trip report.

Neil-

It sounds like a great trip. I have a similar on planned for Aug 11th going up ermine slide-santanoni-panther-couch with a bushwhack down to Calahan Br and eventually back to the Moose Pond Trail. I plan on staying at Moose Pond and checking out the Santanoni Camp as well ,since I haven't been in that particular area before. I look forward to your trip report.

As I sat on Couchsachraga looking across towards Emmons I thought that must be some of the most remote wilderness in the Northeast. It will be an experience like the first Adirondack climbers had. Let us know how it was!

Neil, if you ever get the chance, buy the book,"Of the summits, Of the Forests". It's published by the 46rs, and is excellent reading. Any way, there's quite a few stories in there of the interactions of some of the origional 46rs with the hermit of the Cold River, Noah John Rondeau. The origional route up Couch. was via the Cold River, and many hikers were guided to the summit by Mr. Rondeau. I didn't know if your route would take you near the site of his 'city'?

Are you sure this can be accomplished in enough time to make Spence's?

masshysteria said:
I didn't know if your route would take you near the site of his 'city'?
Quite close, hopefully on Friday we'll be able to go visit the site if we can find it. I'll have to re-read the McMartin guide book, its quite detailed.
masshysteria said:
Are you sure this can be accomplished in enough time to make Spence's?
Only one way to find out. I do have an e-mail from someone who made Coreys from the LT on Ouluska brook via the slide by mid- afternoon and they didn't start til 9am. The weather will play a role.

Neil said:
Quite close, hopefully on Friday we'll be able to go visit the site if we can find it. I'll have to re-read the McMartin guide book, its quite detailed.

Neil, the Cold River City site is right on the NPT, there is a plaque on a tree as well as I believe pieces of a wood stove.

KZKlimber said:
As I sat on Couchsachraga looking across towards Emmons I thought that must be some of the most remote wilderness in the Northeast.
I've had that same feeling. Last March 20 or 21 (2004) my 15 yr. old son and I were back there getting our 10th or 11th 46er peaks. Nobody was back there but us on that Sunday. It was cold and snow was flying in a strong wind. I looked out from Couch at no man's land and thought, "Let's get the hell out of here before something happens".

Need a ride.

My partner just sprained his ankle and won't know until tommorow morning whether or not he'll be fit for this hike.
Does anybody here know how I can get a ride from Coreys to Newcomb after leaving my car at Coreys? "I don't care how much I got to spend".

Last edited: