Could use some more info

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Structure

Reaction score
Hey guys it is less than a week before my first attempt at a Presi Traverse. The good news is I think i have gotten all my group ready and we all have the necessary gear. Also takin a aussie with me so he should make the trip fun. But I am looking at the weather and it seems as though it will be rainning and possible thunderstorms. I want to make sure that I have as many evac routes planned and also want to know what people think about attempting a traverse in the rain.....thanks again for the great help

Doable in the rain (Swampyankee, Arm, SkiMom and JayH all finished), though not as much fun. I would not want to be there in T-Storms. I suggest car spots at Caps Ridge and Ammonoosuc Ravine trailheads if you can work that out (tough as you still need a car at Clinton and one at Appalachia).

As Seema says: be safe (and get an EARLY start):)

I think something that would be good in the rain that I did not have is am umbrella. Yes, an umbrella. Be wary of really wet and slippery rocks in the rain, bring a good first aid kit for scrapes and bruises. When I was watching Nat and Jean repairing Jean's cut hand off of Adams, it was raining and everything was kind of getting wet, bandages, tape, etc. Thinking that an umbrella would be kind of useful for trail first aid to at least keep the first aid kit dry and to be able to somewhat dry off the wound before applying gauze pad and tape/bandage. With the rock hopping and stuff, just take it easy and definitely allow for a slower hike.

After Jean and Nat left, I was basically solo for the rest of the trip, except for running into a small group at Jefferson which I hiked with for a bit, and two guys after Washington I hiked with til Lake of the Clouds. I was trying very hard not to hurt myself as hikers were kind of few and far between until I started to head down the Crawford Path which I passed two or three small backpackers heading up.

Jay.

Presi traverse

My trip report from 6/11 is here:

Trip Report

I agree with what everyone has said...doable, but can be long and miserable. Tuco and I were lucky that the t-storms and heavy rain started right as we reached the Jewell Trail with Artex and Yam coming from the south. We were caught in it pretty bad, but at least we were immediately descending.

I 200 % agree with sli74 and SherpaKroto...get an early start, and that means real early...we were on the trail at 2:30am (I think sli was even earlier than that) and the next time I will even be earlier, or I will not be hitting any summits.

Good luck and have fun...it is some trip!!

I was also on the traverse with sherpa and crew

Here is another point of view (I don't like hiking in all day rain)

doable - yes - by all means. fun - well - it had its ups and downs. You have to keep the fun factor up as much as possible. I also got some pretty nasty blisters around jefferson and put a damper on the trip down. But - I mean - this was pretty much an all day rain event we had - it has lulls - but it was soaking wet pretty much from start to finish (we bailed down ammo) - with one brief show of sun for about 5 minutes. It was pretty cold as well - probably in the low 40's most of the day.

I was with some pretty cool (and funny) people - so at the end of the day it was a good time for sure - Had I not been training for rainier - probably never would left the tent that AM though and waited for sun! - seema's the day after sounded much more pleasurable!!!

you do want' the early start - byt the time we hit trail - it was about 4:30am - next time, I will be going around 3am.

the aussie should help with the fun-factor!!

Last edited:
Thank you all again for all the advice....I feel very confident on leadin this hike. My group is doing great and we are ready for rain or shine. Unfortunatelly the forcast is neither rain or shine but T-storms. So for right now the trip looks like it will be postponed another 2 weeks but I will make the final decision on thurs night. Thanks again and let me know any other suggestions.

Best part about places to Bail out is that Jefferson Notch Road is reopened so it opens the west... though descending the western flanks of the northern presies proves to be very slow. I would seriously consider weather reports and keep a kean eye to the sky. The above reports are great resources.. thanks to Sap, SK and Sli for suggesting those to Structure.

SJ

WOW!!! As of 5:30 pm it looks like my trip might be back on. There seems to be a break in the storm and fri and sat may be perfect weather....lets keep our fingers crossed.

Its probably a futile effort but please seriously reconsider taking the dog with you. Unless the dog is up on the presi ridge on a frequent basis for long periods, its pads will get shredded on this trip. There are numerous hiking dogs that have done many of the 4000 footers that have had to be carried off the presidential ridge mountain. There is really no equivalent surface that is as abrasive. I think its the combination of coarse rock and the rock hopping that is required. Unfortunately a lot of owners dont pick up on the dogs problem until its too late.

When you reach Mt Washington, go by the observatory and see what they're forecasting for the afternoon. I've asked and they were very helpful, you'll have an idea what's in store for the remainder of the hike.

I agree with peakbagger about the dog. You might want to ask Kevin Rooney's advice also as he hikes with Brutus, not sure if they've done a Presidential traverse or not.

:) First I am sad to say that because of some issues that came up i will not be able to do the trip this weekend....instead i may be doing just a day trip loop up huntintons ravine to Mt Washington and then back. Also i should clarify that the "aussie" is not a dog but an australian :-D but he is shaggy so it is not a big difference :-D but once again thanks for all the info and have no fear, just because i am not doing it this weekend doesnt mean i am not doing it at all