Crampons winter boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This winter it seems that crampons are needed much more than snowshoes. I currently use a pair of Sorel insulated boots for winter hiking- I love them and think they are warm enough for anything I would do. They also work great with my atlas snowshoes Unfortunately, I purchased a pair of black diamond crampons last year, they fit my three season boots but not my Sorels. The heel is to small. Do I have to buy plastic boots to accomadate crampons? Does anyone know of a crampon that might work with the Sorels? I really want to get one set of gear that works for winter hiking and early spring, bareboot, snowshoe and crampons. Suggestions?, Thanks

You dont need plastic boots but you will need another pair of boots to fit the crampons. Your best bet is too buy another pair of boots that will fit the crampons rather than new crampons. Plus it is better to have a boot that is a little stiffer, that way you dont break your crampons, especially if your crampons are rigid meaning they dont flex with the boot. Also depening were you hike you can get away with 3 season boots, especially if you want to be able to use only one set of gear. That is all I use and have hiked in well below zero temps as well as snowstorms.

Grivel G-10 crampons fit Sorels very well. The crampon has an adjustment to fit the size heel you have.

I had a similar problem trying to fit my size 12 back-country ski boots. I ended up contacting Grivel (http://www.grivelnorthamerica.com/index1a.html) and purchasing a pair G-10 Wide with New Classic bindings and extra-long extension bars (not shown on website), which fit great. Found out that the actual problem was width, not length. The service was great, and they have a 100% return policy.