Cranberry Lake, NY: 2012 Paddling Season

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeT

Reaction score
Put in today at Cranberry Lake Village swimming beach and paddled straight down the middle of the lake to Joe Indian Island.

Paddled around Joe Indian and then returned with rest stops at shoreline Camp Site #1 (this site is now closed to camping due to overuse) and the NY State Campground swimming beach.

Day started with snow; later with sunshine shining through the snow (very pretty); lots of clouds and little wind for a nice change.

Saw no sign of ice. And saw no other people or boats on the water; however, Camp Site 22 on Joe Indian Island was occupied.

It was a great beginning to my Cranberry paddling season and the earliest start ever.

Mike

5th Edition of Adirondack Paddler's Map

The 5th edition of Adirondack Paddler's map is available.

Shorline campsites #27, #28, #44, #45 and #46 are not shown on the map. These campsites were also omitted from all previuos editions of the Paddler's map.

Also not shown on the 5th edition of the Paddler's map is shoreline campsite #1, located at Union Point. In March 2012, when I stopped to rest at campsite #1, I did notice that the site had been closed due to overuse.

A free DEC publication that shows the location of all the Cranberry Lake shoreline campsites, "Trails in the Cranberry Lake Region, offical map and guide", is available at DEC Regional Offices:http://www.dec.ny.gov/about/558.html

Of interest to those who fish Cranberry Lake is the new DEC publication: "Guide to Freshwater Fishing in New York State". This publication is also available free at DEC regional offices.

Mike

The 5th edition of Adirondack Paddler's map is available.

Shorline campsites #27, #28, #44, #45 and #46 are not shown on the map. These campsites were also omitted from all previuos editions of the Paddler's map.

Mike, were those omitted by error or are they closed like site #1 because of overuse?

Also not shown on the 5th edition of the Paddler's map is shoreline campsite #1, located at Union Point. In March 2012, when I stopped to rest at campsite #1, I did notice that the site had been closed due to overuse.

Mike

Mike, were those omitted by error or are they closed like site #1 because of overuse?

David,

Campsites #27, #28, #44, #45 and #46 have been omitted by error on every edition of the ADK Paddler's map.

When the person who revised the 4th edition of the ADK Paddler's map asked for input on the 5th edition, I supplied information regarding those omitted sites.

Now that I am days from retirement and live so close to Cranberry Lake, a great OCD project for me will be to visit each and every shoreline campsite. I will take a digital picture of the site number number and gather GPS data on each site. This information I will submit to Dave Cilley. Maybe the 6th edition of the map will get this right.

Something that has happened over the years is that the campsites may move short distance to let a particular area rest, but these five sites do exist and have been omitted. I have visited campsites #44, #45and #46 as recently as April 2012.

I do appreciate all the work and money that has gone into preparing the map and guide, and I wish to thank Dave Cilley and his staff for this great paddling resource.

Hope to see you on the water.

Mike

Last edited:
Thx Mike. Last summer I bought the map and book set at my local EMS and then I found out that I bought an old 2nd edition from them. Well you know how I felt after that. I guess if I buy the new edition this summer I'll add those sites you mentioned. Thx Enjoy the summer!