Crash Tax

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is even worse than the hiker rescue fine! Next thing you know the ambulance will have a credit card machine, no pay, no care. But you'll still get a bill for them having to leave the station.

Believe me, I know times are tough, but this is crazy.:mad:

I need to go for a hike to cool off, but what if I get hurt........?

In my town we have the option of paying $40 and we can ride the ambulance as much as we need to for one year. Last year was $20 but they needed more revenue. If we don't sign on, we have to pay whatever the insurance does not cover.
It sure beats paying the entire amount.
I would like that kind of hiker insurance...or even "crash tax" insurance if it comes to that. Don't like the idea but it seems to be coming to that. The need reimbursrment and someone is going to have to pay.

Last edited:
The article points out that it is for the fire department. I got the impression that it was for the rescue/engine that responded. Not all places (not sure on NYC) fire and ambulance services are different. I was on a town ambulance and they did send out bills to the people. this was in in early 90's.

Nothing New!!!

Back in '04 I had the pleasure of having the North Andover, MA Fire Department transport me to the local hospital. The transport involved the use of and "ALS" ambulance, two paramedics, an EKG monitor, and Oxygen. The whole ride was eight minutes, and six miles.

The town of North Andover billed me (or should I say my insurance company) $1600.00 :eek: YUP...$1600 :eek: ....That's sixteen hundred!!!! :eek::eek:

$120.00 for breathing "Their Oxygen"......$250.00 for the EKG Monitor (this is more then the lab charged me now), and I can't remember how much for the Paramedics.

So this "Crash Tax" is nothing new. At the time I made my opinion known about this blatant shake down. I was told to either pay it or be sued!!!!!

Why do we pay taxes to the towns and cities if we still get charged for basic services that only the town/city can perform?

I have learned if at all possible........DRIVE YOURSELF TO THE HOSPITAL. :D

Life Free and Hike

Around here, the cities/towns have their own ambulances, but there are also ambulance companies such as Cataldo, AMR, etc. I don't know when, as a "victim", you get serviced by one or the other.

Life Free and Hike

You are absolutely correct...we live in a country that has the highest or one of the highest prices for medical attention and apparently a population convinced that it is the way it should be.

I'll put in my disclaimer that this is not a political statement, it's just an observation.

In my town we have the option of paying $40 and we can ride the ambulance as much as we need to for one year. Last year was $20 but they needed more revenue. If we don't sign on, we have to pay whatever the insurance does not cover.
It sure beats paying the entire amount.

This is the most common arrangement that is used in towns. We have a drive every year were we send out town telephone books that have enrollment forms in them.

Back in '04 I had the pleasure of having the North Andover, MA Fire Department transport me to the local hospital. The transport involved the use of and "ALS" ambulance, two paramedics, an EKG monitor, and Oxygen. The whole ride was eight minutes, and six miles.

The town of North Andover billed me (or should I say my insurance company) $1600.00 :eek: YUP...$1600 :eek: ....That's sixteen hundred!!!! :eek::eek:

$120.00 for breathing "Their Oxygen"......$250.00 for the EKG Monitor (this is more then the lab charged me now), and I can't remember how much for the Paramedics.

So this "Crash Tax" is nothing new. At the time I made my opinion known about this blatant shake down. I was told to either pay it or be sued!!!!!

Why do we pay taxes to the towns and cities if we still get charged for basic services that only the town/city can perform?

Life Free and Hike

The fact you had Paramedics on board is what made it an ALS transport. Without paramedics it is a BLS transport. At least in CT, the charges and fees we apply are set by the state. The only discretion with the charges is mileage. Don’t forget that your emergency room doesn’t drive around the town. And in particular the paramedics don’t get paid what they are worth but all the equipment breaks down, has to be recertified, as do the crews and eventually the equipment needs to be replaced. We get some support from the town for vehicles and equipment but also we need to purchase a lot of the equipment ourselves. Those fees just help defray the costs. We don’t make money.

Oh, and simply because you had an ALS crew come to your door doesn’t mean that they can charge as an ALS unit. They had to provide ALS services, which they did, unless you really didn’t have any heart related ailment and they were just using the 12 lead (ECG) on you for practice. :confused:;)

Around here, the cities/towns have their own ambulances, but there are also ambulance companies such as Cataldo, AMR, etc. I don't know when, as a "victim", you get serviced by one or the other.

Many system have a two tier response. In our town like many others the volunteers staff a BLS ambulance service. If they need ALS services (i.e. Paramedic level) then they are requested either at time of call or after the assessment of the patient is made by the BLS crew. Often while the town has its own crews for BLS it is the paid services that provide paramedics. That is primarily because of the amount of training and other monthly requirements that paramedics must go through. Full time town services also sometimes provide paramedic level services but it is costly and tough to keep up with all the extra requirement that is why it is often full time ambulance companies that have the paramedic level services or hospitals.

I have mentioned before that we now charge for certain rescues in the town. We (the town) has been burdened with a large cost because of the rescues of people on the interstate that goes through our town. The equipment we use for crashes is expensive and costly to maintain and rarely is it used for town residents but they pick up the cost. If you crash or cause a crash in our town that requires rescue services like the Hurst tool or the use of our heavy rescue vehicle and you are not a town resident. The person(s) deemed responsible by the police will be billed for the rescue.

That has been our policy for several years now and seems perfectly just.

Keith

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.