Crime and Hiking...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrentD22

Reaction score
There has been several posts about people whom have had their cars broken into while hiking. I was wondering if anyone ever had something stolen from them at a BC campsite or hut/cabin?

When I leave the trail head I usually hide my car keys in the engine compartment. I would really hate to forget my keys back at Gray Knob and not relize until I got back to my jeep.

As for things getting stolen it has never happended to me, but I figure people that hike must be trustworthy people. Then again they are PEOPLE! I've been known to leave money out on my sleeping bag at a hostel or backcountry hut or lean-2.

Just curious like always!

I have never had a problem in the backcountry. Generally I find that the once you get in the woods about 8 or ten miles, the people you encounter are honest and will do their best to help each other. Criminals who do property crimes tend to be lazy and opportunistic, they have a lot better pickings at the trailheads plus their escape routes are a lot easier. Even if they do get caught, its usually a slap on the wrist.

I unfortunately have been near a couple incidents against hikers over the years of sectionhiking the AT. Two years ago, we met a couple who were thruhiking, one of whom had special dietary requirements. Their food box was taken by another pair of hikers who went thru it and dumped whatever they didnt want in a "hikers box" at the motel. This was in a transition zone along the AT in an area that probably only drew AT hikers. Of course most of the thru hikers insisted it couldnt be one of "them".

I also encountered several first hand stories (the day after) of "vagrants" hanging out at "The Place" in Damascus, who would steal from thru hikers who were staying there. These would be crimes of opportunity where a thru hiker would leave something out to dry and it would be gone the next day.

Note both of these occured on the border where "civilization" met the backcountry.

You mention Grey Knob, just down the path is Crag Camp, when the old Crag Camp was being torn down, the sign disapeared, thru some detective work, likely parties were identified, subtle threats were made of incarceration, and the sign reappeared.

Only by bears.

MMB
46r 5048

and yes, I am back, finally. hope to see some of you on the trails this summer.

Not me, I've actually lost my wallet once in Harriman only to have somebody call me around midnight saying he found my wallet. They do get a rash of breakins in Harriman which is Orange County, NY though, they tend to go in bunches like there will be a huge rash of breakins for a while and then all of a sudden it will go away, likes its one person or a certain group hitting an area and then moving on.

Jay

Brent:

Why leave the car keys? Weight? Just not worth the stress if you ask me. Plus why would you take them out of your pack?

But...

It is common practice for groups (trainings/workshops) to leave keys taped under wheel wells when in the backcountry...this involves multiple groups approaching (criss-crossing) from different trail heads. Usually involves vans as well.

This allows group leaders more options (bailouts) with vehicles at different trailheads.

Someone once broke my heart at a BC campsite...but other than that no crime to speak of.;)

Brent & Loosing his keys

I can loose my keys while I'm driving! The stress is not there because I hide them in a place that no one would say "hey I wonder if this guy hides his keys there?" you now what I'm saying.

On day hikes I will take off all none car keys and just bring the one key to get back in the car. I usually will clip it inside the pack on those little plastic hook things.

I wound up being part of a search a couple of years ago after a hiker in the Catskills lost his car keys in the woods, went back to look for them and wound up getting caught by darkness in the dead of winter. Of course, no one knew this at the time ... only that he didn't come home on time. Add on to this the fact that the dude had been having personal problems as well as a drinking problem. Needless to say, this became a big hooh-hah by morning with a few agencies involved and I personally climbed one of the Catskill 3500 peaks at 2 AM in February looking for the guy. Naturally, he wound up hiking out on his own in the morning. Moral of the story? I have no freakin' idea ... just thought it was a funny story and appropriate to the thread.

those little piles of shiny stuff in the parking areas aren't diamonds - - - kind of makes me wonder... one time i saw the vehicle that the "diamonds" came from in a white mountain national forest parking area - it had new hampshire plates on it - other cars in the parking area had out of state plates on them... someone must have seen something in the vehicle that they wanted (out of state vehicles would probably have more valuable things hidden in them) - so if you want to keep your stuff, you have a better chance if they can't see it (locks just keep the honest people honest, others break in) - i did talk to a jackson police officer the next weekend who was checking on the parking area that i was sleeping at (no he didn't chase me, only the seasonal USFS parking attendants do that) and he told me that a couple kids from dartmouth had been caught a few days ago that were doing some of the break-ins - - - as for on the trail... most perps drink & smoke, how far into the woods would they get before they had to rest and have a cigarette break?

Last edited: