Crocker, Sugarloaf, Redington and cie

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chabela

Reaction score
Hello!

On Labor Day weekend, we are planning on hiking in Maine on the AT, from Route 16/27 down to Route 4, in order to complete our NE 4000 list. We would hike 3 days, camping twice along the AT. We would include Abraham and Redington in the trip.

We had a few questions about that:

- Is camping allowed in that section out of designated campsites/lean-tos ?

- Does somebody can confirm that there is water between Lone Mtn and Poplan Ridge Campsite, at the Orbeton Stream ? We would camp there, so it is why I am wondering. And is there water + potential tent site near the dirt road that is there ?

- What would be the estimate time we should allow to bushwack to Redington, from Crocker, back and forth ? I've estimated 3 hours ??

Any comments, suggestions about that at all ? :)

Thanks!

While it is possible to bushwhack from South Crocker to Redington, I would recommend that you cache some of your weight at the CVR/AT crossing and walk the road to do Redington by the standard route (old ATV trail) and return by the same route to your cached gear, then climb S crocker. It will be more enjoyable this way.

John H Swanson said:
While it is possible to bushwhack from South Crocker to Redington, I would recommend that you cache some of your weight at the CVR/AT crossing and walk the road to do Redington by the standard route (old ATV trail) and return by the same route to your cached gear, then climb S crocker. It will be more enjoyable this way.

I`d agree with this. Have a camera ready for Moose.

To answer your questions:

Camping along those trails is tricky. I would strongly discourage you from camping on the side of the trail anywhere that is not a designated campsite. Leave No Trace principles dictate that you should not camp within 200' of any water source aside from at shelters or campsites. Is there any reason you want to avoid camping at the shelters?

There is plenty of water at Orebeton Stream, but it should be treated before drinking. if there wasn't water, it would be called Orebeton Gulch. ;)

3 hours (90 minutes each way) is a good estimate for the bushwhack, unless you get lost. There is a fully-developed herd path if you care to find it. I recommend following it from the South Crocker summit so as to avoid losing too much elevation.

Finally, there is an incredible amount of information about this trip already here in this forum. Please click on "Search" above and type "Redington" and hit enter. You will find more info about this route that you ever could have asked for.

John H Swanson said:

Is that second option (going down to CVR and then up back to Redington) easier than hiking it from the ridge between Crocker and Redington ??

My series of dayhikes, time schedules, links to photo albums and a thorough description of my bushwack from South Crocker to Reddington is described here. A couple of notes: I found South Crocker to have more snakes then moose. Water will be abundant at the dirt road from Perham Stream as well as at the Orbeton Stream. It took us 3:25 to do the South Crocker/Reddington traverse and back. The hike of the Crocker bushwack was August 24, 2005, so you don't have to rummage through alot of other AT data to get to what you want. Hope this helps.

If I remember this right first day would be North Crocker South Crocker & then Reddington. Are you section hiking the AT?

If Not, (unsure skipping section between S.C. summit & CVR may be abuse of blue blazing & best view in Crockers IMO is view descending South Crocker Cirque) you could do bushwhack over to Reddington from South Crocker & then descend Reddington via the old logging roads & CVR picking AT up for trip up Sugarloaf.

If I remember correctly (it's been 11 years & I did not stay there) Crocker Campsite is not too far from CVR & not much elevation gain from CVR.

Camping off CVR or on the Reddington paths??? (no water up there unless you are by pond which is right at CVR)

Elevation gain from Caribou Valley Road to Crocker Cirque Campsite is 500 feet (2250 to 2750). Also, there are a number of make shift campsites just off the AT and South Branch of the Carrabassett River where the AT crosses. This is only 0.1 mile east of the AT crossing of the Caribou Valley Road. Purify water from the river which is always flowing.

The camping spots for Orbeton stream are just North of the stream. The road itself is a viable option but there are some fairly open hardwoods north of the stream, south of the stream it is somewhat wet and bony.

BTW, the access to the stream is kind of steep, might be worth bringing a water bag to cut down on trips.

Are there other reports at amc4000footer.org/redington.htm, or only reddington. Can't seem to find any others by putting the name in where 'redington' is.

rup said:
Are there other reports at amc4000footer.org/redington.htm, or only reddington. Can't seem to find any others by putting the name in where 'redington' is.

seems to be just redington

I read your trail report and it sounds similar to my own observations from 2005. The only thing really different is (A) no mention of the snakes on South Crocker and (B) going down from South Crocker just before the clear cut there was a major blowdown which obstructed the herd path and then we pretty much bushwacked out making our own route to the clear cut. I was curious if you read my report and was it at all helpful? You mentioned how the start of the herd path is very confusing as it starts off the mountain in the wrong direction, that threw us for a loop. When I did this hike it was part of my southbound section hike on the AT. It seems you did the same thing in reverse. But Crocker to Reddington was done the same as it has to be done that way if hiking the AT. The only thing is you had less mileage up front going northbound before you did the bushwack. However, we had several people to collaborate our opinions, where you were on your own. Overall, I enjoyed it.