Cutting Christmas Trees in the WMNF

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Years ago I gave my mother a balsam fir pillow. Over time, it became smaller (dog Daffy Taffy ate at least half of it) and when I went to climb Kilimanjaro my mother gave me the part she had saved and told me I could smell it if I became homesick while I was away (my first time so far from home, even though I was in my 50s). On the summit, I opened the fragile packet and spread it with the words, "From the hills of New Hampshire to the roof of Africa, may there be Peace on Earth." :rolleyes:

Kevin your idea is something I was recently thinking of. After recently dropping 44 white pine trees, we are looking to....plant trees! We are kicking the idea around of planting some type of "Christmas" trees here and there, and over time, cutting those for our own use.

Near my house is a road titled "Christmas Tree Circle". This was where we used to cut our own, for like $5/tree. It is now a housing development....

I, too, love that fragrance....wish I could bottle it up and carry it wherever I go!
We bushwhacked Scar Ridge from Little East Pond on Nov. 13, 1994. Smelled like balsam fir well past Christmas.

Shoot, we were planning on cutting down our own tree this year...today is our designated decorating day. The cold drizzle led us to the local Christmas tree lot instead....we'll have to cut our own next year.

Was that really a Christmas Tree farm? Until what year?

Tim

It absolutely was. Probably ended in the late 70's, if I had to guess. The trees weren't great, but they were so cheap, we couldn't go wrong. We used to enter by the old farm (then it was the Harris' farm) which is across from the fire pond now.

We bushwhacked Scar Ridge from Little East Pond on Nov. 13, 1994. Smelled like balsam fir well past Christmas.

Which Christmas? ;)

Suggestion: anyone who REALLY loves that balsam smell (and who doesn't)??? Scar Ridge is a great way to keep that smell going and going year round!!! .... Bring a little bit of Scar Ridge home!!!! Or, get your Xmas tree there and let's clear it!!!

I love this thread, and I think its awesome that this is allowed.

My brother and I came upon this beautiful tree in the middle of the night on the Unknown Pond Trail this October. If I ever owned a mansion with a large living room, this would have been the one! (if it was 8" or less in diameter at chest height)

PA221567.JPG

This picture is perfect for this thread, had to post it, enjoy! Just don't go cut it down, because maybe in a few years or more it could become the 2nd WMNF tree to be used at Capitol Hill. :D