Day hiking vs. Going Long - moved from Q&A

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowbird

Reaction score
Day hiking vs. Going Long

Hi,

I've been thinking about my very different approach to longer backpacks compared to day hikes. When I day hike, I like a fancy pack with lots of time-saving pockets, a hydration system, good rain gear, waterproof boots (if it is likely to rain or there might be puddles). I like to wear a cute top, zip-off pants, and take yummy pastries, and fresh food for eating on the trail. I train at the gym ahead of time, and I often push myself quite hard on the trail, knowing that I can collapse somewhere comfortable afterwards. I often get a runners' high sort of euphoria that helps with the pain.

But when I backpack (for more than a weekend), I wear the same yucky wool top and nylon pants for as much as a week at a time, I carry the simplest lightest pack I can find, and use canteens. When I need something from the pack or to eat or drink, I just stop. I do not bother with waterproof boots or fancy rain gear because nothing is going to keep me truly dry if I am living outdoors in the rain for several days - I just make sure I stay warm. I take a lot more time, am far less goal oriented, and often find myself truly "in the moment" in my hiking. I train on the trail - starting slowly and working up to being "trail tough". And after a few days, I find myself comfortable pretty much everywhere.

Anyone else find that they do things differently?

I'll second that, except for the "cute top" part! :p

Those that know me know that I like to push myself harder and farther on day hikes. I'm usually looking to see what I can "tack on". This is the peakbagger and the athlete in me. Whenever I'm hiking solo, I try to to go harder, farther, and faster than I would either with others or when backpacking (though I stop for views and I break on summits). Sometimes, when going solo, I'll even set time goals for myself.

When I'm backpacking, it's completely different. While I move at a decent pace, I'm not trying to go as fast. I'm taking it much easier and it's almost like I'm in a meditative state. I really don't care about the time, my speed, or upcoming peaks since I'm gonna be out there for a long time anyway and I'll be going wherever the trail takes me. The only exception to this is if I'm racing against fading daylight to get to camp. I really try not to have to set up ccamp and cook in the dark.

I will say that for both times though, I try to stay dry and comfortable. The right layers and snacks are the keys to happiness! :D

Rick said:
You had me at "Cute Top"
I was had at "zip-off pants"...

But I digress...
To me it's more about being alone vs. with someone and what kind of trip I want.

When I'm alone I usually plan or seek challenges. On dayhikes I like to see how much I can see and cover in a day and love to tack on the miles. On backpacks I like to start early (6-7am), and finish not too late (4-6pm), so it still gives me plenty of hours to cover lots of terrain at a good 2-3mph clip. My Summer backpack averages from 18-23lbs depending on food so it's easier to go long.

When I'm with others I just chill and focus on enjoying their company.

But, like I said, if I plan a chill trip for myself then I'll do just that - low miles, take a book, better food, etc.

I'm sort of the opposite. When I'm on day hikes, I like to reserve my energy out of concern that I want to make sure that I'm able to make it back down. When I'm backpacking, I like to push myself _ figuring that if worse came to worse, I could always just pull to the side and I'd have to gear to set up my tent and take a snooze! :D

I have to admit that I'm a gear head and an athlete (in my head). So, when I'm either backpacking or dayhiking I like to have my gear dialed and I like to push it. But, in my mind one really helps the other. If my gear is light and dead on, I can go further and push my body further. (Then again, I usually injure something at some point, but it's a theory.)

Either way, like snowbird said, after a while, I find I'm comfortable anywhere...but, if I'm headed into the hills, I'm comfortable about 30 seconds in. Whether backpacking or hiking, there's no place better.

I like to day hike with as light a pack as possible and cover as much ground as I can.
"Start real early, finish late and don't stop". That's my MO.

I'd wear a cute top but my hiking partners would ridicule me in the subsequent trip reports.
As it is they have a hard enough time with me going bottomless.

Pete_Hickey said:
You should have color analysis. I think you look better in Pinks, but I can also see an Autumn look going over well. Prhaps a Goretex pushup and a slinky outfit - Something in a silnylon?? I agree, though, You can never find a high heel in a stitchdown...