dealing with stray light from behind the subject

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RAW files are linearly sampled which limits the maximum dynamic range to approximately one stop per bit. The largest number of bits that I am aware of in DSLRs is 14 bits, thus 14 stops. (The RAW file typically has the same number of bits per sample as the A/D converter.)

The sensor, optical, and electronics systems can be far more limiting: some measurements of several recent high-end digital cameras give a highest dynamic range of 11.7 stops. The same author gives the greatest theoretical range of a sensor (5D Mk II) of ~14.7 stops.
http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/digital.sensor.performance.summary/#dynamic_range
http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedetail/index.html#sensor_analysis

JPEG uses an 8-bit per sample representation, so it is limited to 8 stops. 8 stops post processing (eg for printing or screen display) is fine, but can be inadequate before processing.

BTW, dynamic range in film and sensors is often (generally?) denoted in D (log base 10) rather than stops (log base 2). log10=.301*log2, so 11.7 stops is equal to a D of 3.5.

The human eye has a greater effective range because we, unlike a camera, can change the "exposure" as we look at different parts of a scene. (One could argue that this ability to adapt to different parts of a scene is similar to what one can do in post-processing of an image.)

Doug

I miss the days when photography involved photographs and not calculus. :(

OK, I'm really happy with this image. I know about this situation and I was thinking about the backlight being a curse and a blessing and decided to just enjoy the blessing. I like the rim of light around the subject very much. The stray light coming across has grown on me. It says " early morning light".

I appreciate all the commentary, both technical and artistic. It can help us all. I take from it what sinks in to my head.

happy trails :)

I miss the days when photography involved photographs and not calculus. :(
There was lots of math involved in film too. And chemistry with a choice of developers and recipies. And suspensions of emulsion particles in binders. And discussions of dynamic range with D-values etc.

The complexity was there, just less visible to users.

Most of the artistic stuff is similar--digital has some advantages and some disadvantages.

FWIW, I liked the image. W7xman's alterations were only visible to me when viewed side-by-side. Perhaps a slight improvment, but sufficiently subtle that I'm not sure they were worth the effort.

Doug

Photoshop: down and dirty

Hey guys, don't get around much lately, but still play a lot with photoshop.

First one is very easy. Used the Shadows/highlights filter set to 50% shadows, then did an auto-levels to color correct:

2290177240100209210S600x600Q85.jpg

This second yielded pretty much the same results but with more work. First convert to LAB mode and in curves steepen the line 10% in the A and B channels, then adjust the Lightness curve for contrast, convert back to RGB to finish... I like the first better, more contrast.

2826266130100209210S600x600Q85.jpg

Take it easy...
Kevin

You guys are way beyond me! As a casual viewer who thinks any one could be in an issue of National Geographic, I'd have to say the original is my favorite. I like the color of his face the most and the muscles in his shoulders still show up nicely. It's quite clear he's in a swampy Northeastern wooded area that just isn't that important to me.

Photoshop can be a blessing and a curse - sometimes I can come up with 10 different versions of a final print before wondering if the original was better after all!

I'd just be tickled to have a big moose sit still for me for a beautiful shot like this one (the original photo)!