Denali NP

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Head

Reaction score
Hey all,
We're planning a trip to AK in July and had a couple of different ideas on what we'd like to do, one idea being the hike to McGonagall Pass in the Denali backcountry. Has anyone done this trip...if so, how was the Mckinley River crossing? The trail description says the river crossing is extremely dangerous. We know that sometimes things seem a tad exagerated in the guidebooks but then again, this is Alaska! Any info would be greatly appriciated. :)

Depends on where you're crossing it... Not familiar with the pass in question and it's relationship to the McKinley River..

Many streams in the NP are braided and places where it is wide and shallow to narrow raging gorges.. July can still find a lot of snow runoff.... Mornings are typically better in terms of volume (less volume because of the nighttime temps dropping and less snow, etc) but the water is always cold... brrrr.. :)

Jay

On my NOLS Semester in Alaska course we used McGonagall Pass to access the glaciers during the mountaineering section of the course.
Crossing the McKinley River was definitely hard (and really really cold!). You have to cross several braids of the river to get from one side to the other (if I remember correctly it is ~1 mile across). There were times when the water was above my waist and I am 6'4".
I don't know how many people you are going with, but we crossed the river in groups of 5. We found a large enough tree branch and everyone linked arms while holding onto the branch. We then crossed facing upstream and walking sideways.
I would say that the guide book is correct that the crossing is dangerous. The water is full of silt so you can't see what you are stepping on, the water is moving really fast, and as I mentioned before the water is really freakin' cold.
I'm sure you already know about unbuckling your waist-belt and not looking down at the water while crossing.

I crossed it by alone with a backpack. It is wide and braided enough that if you spend the time, you can find a way across.

On other Alaskan rivers, I have waited until dawn and seen the water level drop a foot just from colder night temps (less melt water) and passed then.

It's a great area to be in. I'm not sure DNP is worth the aggravation but I understand the appeal in picking the coolest place with the biggest mountain. Personally, I prefer the Brooks or Wrangells.

Have fun!

Those of you who crossed, what time of year was it and what was the word on water levels from the rangers? Was it considered high, low or typical for the season?

I was there in July and dont recall any ranger forecast. I guess that would have been a good idea. But, having crossed 3 of the major ranges in AK and all the many rivers involved, I would be highly suspect of any advice other than my own observations.

My best buddy did it twice 20 years ago. (Hi Cruddytoes!) He said it was wicked scary. :D:eek::p