Birdhead Does Alaska...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Head

Reaction score
We've got the tix into Anchorage, and the time off from work...now we're trying to get a few ideas. We have 1 week and we'd like to do 3 mini trips (a couple of days in each place).
1) Denali National Park is one.
2) Kesugi Ridge in Denali State Park is the second.
(Wrangel-St. Elias is one idea but that may chew up some time) Any ideas for a third spot from folks that have been to Alaska would be greatly appriciated. :)

On the way to Denali National Park, I would stop at Talkeetna where all the climbers fly from to summit Denali. I would highly recommend taking a plane flight over Denali and the surrounding peaks; including landing onto a glacier [a thrill by itself!] if it's a sunny day.

In Denali National Park, I took the farthest bus ride in to Wonder Lake, where I got to see herds of caribou, moose, Dall Sheep, grizzlies, and a variety of other wildlife. The bus drivers stop whenever they see wildlife and at scenic overlooks. The ride gave me a good idea of the expanse of the park. Hopefully you'll see Denali [but probably not].

Summer I assume?

My suggestion, figure out if you want to try to see a lot of stuff real fast or try to focus in. Also, how much freedom you want to have and how scheduled you want to be. And, how do you want to travel, rafting, kayaking, fishing, hiking, driving. A float trip is a great way to see Alaska from a totally different perspective. I spent my 20's in the Anchorage area and there is so much yet to see.

Some folks love the coastal area and will do a mix of hikes, boats, etc. IMHO, there's nothing wrong with doing a few tourist things like a glacier and whale cruise.

The interior (Denali, Wrangells) is another world from the coast. The Arctic (Brooks Range) is again, another whole world.

So, three mini trips? Here's my suggestion;
1. Coast - Kenai or maybe ferry from Whittier over to Valdez.
2. Talkeetna Mountains. These have been called a mini-Bugaboos and unlike the bigger ranges, are actually accessible and non-hostile. There is a whole series of huts in teh area and gorgeous turquoise lakes surrounded by heathery tundra in dramatic valley ringed by granite towers.
3. Denali. Flight seeing and probably the bus. The park is a real PITA but the bus ride delivers and if you plan ahead you can do a bus-camp-bus trip.

Got an extra week, go to the Brooks Range.

Enjoy!

Reactions: dug
Wrangell St. Elias is spectacular but it will definitely chew up some time... You pretty much need at least 1 day to get to McCarthy (unless you like fly there) just because it's like 60 miles on a crappy road by car and still about 4-5 hours drive from Anchorage to get to the 60 miles of crappy road... And once you're there, you probably would want to stay there or take some kind of BC trip via a fly in... It's not like Denali where you can take a bus towards Wonder lake and get off and go for a hike anywhere along the way...

And if it's summer time, a nice kayak trip down towards Valdez is nice as well..

Jay

In Denali National Park, I took the farthest bus ride in to Wonder Lake, where I got to see herds of caribou, moose, Dall Sheep, grizzlies, and a variety of other wildlife. The bus drivers stop whenever they see wildlife and at scenic overlooks. The ride gave me a good idea of the expanse of the park. Hopefully you'll see Denali [but probably not].
It's not like Denali where you can take a bus towards Wonder lake and get off and go for a hike anywhere along the way...
Jay
3. Denali. Flight seeing and probably the bus. The park is a real PITA but the bus ride delivers and if you plan ahead you can do a bus-camp-bus trip.
Enjoy!
Thanks guys! The more I read about it, the more time I want to spend in Denali. It seems like it is absolutely limitless in terms of itineraries! Anyone done Polychrome Mountain or Sunrise and Sunset Glaciers?
2. Talkeetna Mountains. These have been called a mini-Bugaboos and unlike the bigger ranges, are actually accessible and non-hostile. There is a whole series of huts in teh area and gorgeous turquoise lakes surrounded by heathery tundra in dramatic valley ringed by granite towers.
Enjoy!
This sounds like something I should check into a little more. I have a cousin in Talkeetna as well. 2 Birds with 1 stone!
You guys seem like Great Alaskan Bush Company material to me. Have FUN!
Thats funny! Great idea for a couple of guys in the group. Me, I'm a married man (my wife is watching over my shoulder as I post) ;)

Thanks guys! The more I read about it, the more time I want to spend in Denali. It seems like it is absolutely limitless in terms of itineraries! Anyone done Polychrome Mountain or Sunrise and Sunset Glaciers?
This sounds like something I should check into a little more. I have a cousin in Talkeetna as well. 2 Birds with 1 stone!
Thats funny! Great idea for a couple of guys in the group. Me, I'm a married man (my wife is watching over my shoulder as I post) ;)

I spent a night or two around Polychrome, it's all pretty fabulous... Polychrome is nice that I think it's a bit farther away from the car camping places like Savage River..

Jay

I'll be no help, as your trip is on my list, so I'll just say "Good Luck, have a great trip, take lots of vid and I'm looking forward to the trip reports."