Desert Delight - Feb 27 - March 6 - Part 2

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marty

Reaction score
Our third and final hike was the best! Lauren and I decided to tackle the Maynard Mine Trail in the Indian Canyons at the southern end of Palm Springs. This is supposed to be one of the most strenuous hikes in the Indian Canyons. It was a quick 6.5 mile/2300 ft. elevation workout, but not too bad, due to switchbacks.

The Indian Canyons sit on the east/southeast side of Mt. San Jacinto. It is clear that they get a bit more precipitation that in La Quinta (see Part 1 Trip Report). Things are very green there, as evidenced by this photo:

ry%3D480

The flowers were also starting to come out, but once again, were not yet peaking:

ry%3D480

Once we had ascended about 1,000 feet, we got some amazing views. Here is Lauren with the high San Jacinto peaks in the background:

ry%3D480

And here's me:

ry%3D480

We eventually got to the Maynard Mine area and came upon this memorial to Jim Maynard, who built the tungsten mine. The tungsten was used in WWII:

ry%3D480

A steep climb down from the memorial brought us to the mine itself. We almost missed it, but did find it thanks to Lauren's perseverance:

ry%3D480

On the way out, we noticed an oasis along the upper Murray Canyon that had both California Fan Palm and some other tree (aspen?):

ry%3D480

Here's a shot of Lauren descending the trail, with Palm Springs in the background below:

ry%3D480

And here is a shot of upper Andreas Canyon, with a waterfalls in the middle of the photo (may be hard to see):

ry%3D480

Last, but certainly least, we came upon a discovery later that day. "Frankenpine", the cell phone tower disguised as a tall pine tree, has a California cousin. Behold, Frankenpalm!

ry%3D480

This was another amazing trip and a great brief diversion from the snow and cold. I highly recommend this area. The weather was once again absolutely perfect (upper 60's through mid 70's) and it is gorgeous. If anyone wants any beta on this area or any of these hikes, please PM me any time!

Regards,
Marty (and Lauren)

Marty, glad to hear that you made it out West again as you mentioned in prior conversation :D This certainly reminds me of New Mexico vegetation, We'll have to compare notes on our experiences, and the height of spieces fraken, genus communicai cellii

Sounds like you had a great trip, Marty.

While it's a bit far away to identifiy those trees in the ravine, they tend to be either willows or cottonwoods, and my hunch is cottonwoods, which are more heat-tolerant than willows. Willows are more often found in the Sierra at higher elevation.

As for the other fauna - a couple of observations: the barrel cactus is often called a "cottontop" by the locals as later in the year, after the bloom, the top often has a white color. They are incredibly durable, and if you walk into one - ouch! They're rooted about as firmly as a fire hydrant, and the spines are incredibly sharp and durable. The cactus you identify as prickly pear - I think that is actually a beavertail. When I first moved to the eastern Sierra I thought the same thing, but the locals set me straight.

I live 3-4 hours north of where you vacationed, and it's colder - also a different desert - Sonoran vs. Mojave - but they share some of the same flowers, although we're about a month behind.

Clarke and Kevin,
thanks for the replies. Kevin, thanks for the additional information on cacti. I am definitely a rookie on cactus identification.

You did spike my curiosity on beavertail versus prickly pear, since they look almost identical. What I read on Wiki Answers was that beavertail is one of about 12 species in the prickly pear genus of the cactus family of plants WHOAH! Too scientific for me. ;)

I could not imagine walking into a barrel cactus, given how nasty their thorns look.

It appears that you live about half way between Palm Springs and Hume Lake, where my sister and family just moved. I plan to visit her sometime and hit nearby Kings Canyon and Sequoia. :cool:

Hope you have a beautiful spring out in the desert :)

Regards,
Marty

Marty -

I'm about 50-75miles SE of Lake Hume, but many hours of driving due to the Sierra. Californians refer to that side of the Sierra as the Westside, and I'm an Eastsider.

Kevin
(A Vermonter living in California)

Marty, thank you for the wonderful diversion! The purple flowers are (I think) California Bluebells (Phacelia campanularia).

Thanks Audrey. Lauren is very proud as she identified them as bluebells during our hike!

kevin rooney said:
I'm about 50-75miles SE of Lake Hume, but many hours of driving due to the Sierra. Californians refer to that side of the Sierra as the Westside, and I'm an Eastsider.

Gotcha. My sister is now a proud Westsider :D