digital camera recommendation...here we go again

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John H Swanson

Reaction score
I've searched for my answers and didn't find the information I'm seeking so I'd like to rehash this subject.

I'm in the market for a digital camera for hiking and I'm having a hard time finding something to meet my specs.

I already know I'm a tough customer. I've ab-used many a camera. They usually die from internal corrosion caused by exposure to the elements.

I've seen the previous posts exclaiming satisfaction with the Cannon SD800.

My last camera was a cannon S410. Bought it for about $400 and it lasted about 3 years. I tried to protect it but it started having problems with the lense motion on start-up. I'm sure dropping in didn't help. In the end it suffered from the chronic dreaded memory card failure. Way too high a cost/life ratio for my liking.

So, I'm reluctant to go with another Cannon. Then the Sony manual scared me off with the text, "this camera is not waterproof nor water resistant nor dustproof" Sounded like a 1 year life for me.

I've looked into the Olympus 790SW andthe Pentex W30. Both seem more durable with some good user review. Some people report problems when snorkling but that's beyond my needs. On the other hand, the reviews say the picture quality of these cameras is terrible.

While I don't want to get a robust camera that gives bad pictures, I also don't want to spend $100+/year on new cameras.

Thoughts and Recos are appreciated.

Thanks.
John

I went thru a similar process a couple of months ago. I had a Canon S500, which was getting flakey. I also had a Canon SD10, one of the early ELPH series, and found that mostly I carried the SD10 because of its small size. However, the SD10 didn't have a zoom nor optical viewfinder and really missed the zoom.

I vacillated between a Canon A710 and the Canon SD1000, and opted for the SD1000 as it's much smaller. It doesn't have quite the feature set as the A710, but have no complaints - it takes excellent pictures, and has a quick recycle time. Would also recommend Amazon for their low prices and quick shipping.

John H Swanson said:
the Sony manual scared me off with the text, "this camera is not waterproof nor water resistant nor dustproof"

In my experience, that disclaimer is true for ANY camera (unless you pay big bucks for one that IS waterproof, e.g., an underwater camers, or ruggedized). I "totaled" my Canon G5 after 3-4 years of dropping it in rivers, on rocks, on trails, and finally killed it when I dumped my canoe in the Pemi River. Cameras dont like moisture or rough treatment, things that are hard to avoid when you take it hiking every weekend.

bob

Areed--you cannot get a good quality waterproof P&S.

If you read the photo forum, the most popular models seem to be the SD800IS, A570IS, and the A720IS. These have 3 or 4 to 1 zooms--wider zooms tend to have reduced optical quality. The SD800 is unique in having both a 28mm eFL wide limit and an optical viewfinder. (The A570 and A720 have 35mm eFL limits and the follow-on to the SD800 loses the optical viewfinder.)

I personally would like the equivalent of the A570 or A720 with a 28mm EFL wide limit lens, but Canon doesn't offer such a beast. I settled for an SD800.

Also, anything over about 8MP on a P&S simply increases the noise with no improvement in resolution.

BTW, this topic has been discussed to death over in the "exposure--nature photography" forum.

Doug

Last edited:
First off, except in the case I'll mention below, all digital cameras are essentially in the same boat with the ability to withstand abuse. I'm pretty hard on my cameras as well, and getting 3 years out of my Canon SD300 was pretty good, IMO. I really couldn't expect more out of it for a camera that goes hiking, skiing, and biking. Canon wasn't the problem in your case, it was the fact that digital cameras are sensitive and don't work well when things go out of whack.

When my SD300 died (actually just the LCD died, the camera lives on) I bought an SD800 with no reservations. Your time with your S410 was above average, IMO. No other camera from another manufacturer would have survived longer.

However, if you feel like you are more abusive then most, you might consider the Olympus 790 SW. There are cameras that take better pictures, but none that will take the abuse that this one can handle. It's a tradeoff, one that I don't find necessary for my needs, but you may feel otherwise.

-dave-

I used a Kodak DX4530 for five years, no problems other than too much blur when I tried for handheld in low-light situations. So now I have a Canon A720, the photographs of which don’t appear that much sharper despite the Image Stability feature. I haven’t actually taken it out on a real hike yet, so we’ll see when the comparisons are closer to equal.

The software for the Canon doesn’t work with my Mac’s operating system, so that’s another knock against it so far. (I’d have to have at least Panther; for some reason Jaguar isn’t good enough.) But I’ve still retired the Kodak for the last two months.

The Canon does have stitching software which puts together panoramas, and it seems to work a lot better than the photomerge function on Photoshop Elements 2. However, the only photos I’ve tried it on to date are photos I took in the stitch mode either with the Canon or my son’s Hewlett-Packard, so eventually I’ll try it with some shots I took with the Kodak. (A 360 atop Dix comes to mind, but the photos and the software are in different computers.)

The Canon also can fix red-eye right in the camera, and seems to do a terrific job at it. Plus, I can control shutter speed or aperture if I want. The Kodak is auto-only.

One other thing with the Kodak I just thought of: When it got wet, it forgot how to properly orient photos, so portrait-type verticals would come out sideways. Easy enough to fix on the computer, I know, but the thumbnails would appear as blank documents with ‘‘JPEG’’ on them, not as photographs, so that made it annoying. Couldn’t tell what they were pictures of! Plus just having to go through switching them all 90 degrees. The original Kodak-included batteries lasted a year, though. Very impressive, I thought.

Do you want an SLR or P&S? My D80 has been holding up well. Sadly I abuse cameras a bit, as much as I try to baby them... It's got wet, icy and bounced around a bit.

For those who want a better burst mode consider this model. 60 FPS at full image size! For fast hikers, this may be the only way to catch them in action.

:)

Thanks all for the input.

I've purchased the Canon SD1000.

In the end, I'm much more comfortable with the cost/product life ration as the price wasn't the $400 I've paid in the past.