Dix (NY) on a beautiful day!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA Ridgerunner

Reaction score
Franny and I left the Round Pond TH at just a little before 7am Saturday, having driven up from Saratoga Springs that morning. It was pretty chilly, so the long-sleeve layer and lower part of the convertible pants stayed on til almost half way to Round Pond...I should know better.:rolleyes:

What a beautiful morning on Round Pond!
100_4251.JPG

Thanks to Pete Hickey and the trail crew, we encountered very little blowdown on this hike, and what we found was very easy to negotiate.
Overall, the trail was in very good shape, with little mud, at least by Adirondack standards. Fran got some lovely shots as we progressed along the river toward the lean-to.
100_4259.JPG

Painted Trillium
100_4262.JPG

Water levels at all stream and river crossings were very manageable, although Muddybottom did manage to get a wet foot, stepping on a wobbly rock crossing the Boquet. :)

We were both awestruck as we approached the slide. Seeing pictures doesn't adequately prepare you! So beautiful, so massive! Then, of course, you cross the slide and continue on the trail in the woods; so steep!
100_4271.JPG

We made short work of the little climb to the summit...hahahaha! Actually, it was a blast! Plus, we got to gawk at the slide on our left and turn around and see ever more impressive views of Noonmark, Giant, & RPR. After the final push from the Hunter Pass trail junction we finally topped out and again were awestruck by the vistas.

Elk Lake
100_4291.JPG

Hunter Pass, Nippletop and the Great Range
100_4292.JPG

We spent 90 minutes on the summit; lounging, gawking, running out to the Beckhorn and back, generally having a great time, then while gazing down into the valley with Grace as the backdrop, we hear "Hey, is that Steve & Fran?" We turn and see Nancy (HOL) who has just arrived with her group, including Steve (MrUniverse Hiker), who have just completed the entire range! I apologize for not remembering everyone's names, but here's the group shot.
100_4302.JPG

Reluctantly we left the summit, and after the knee-pounding descent to the base of the slide, enjoyed a pleasant walk in the woods back to the car. What a fantastic day for our 42nd peak! :D

More photos

Last edited:
When we did this hike for ADKDEREMN finish we continued up the slide and then whacked the ridge. That was an awesome day.

Congrats on getting that much closer to your finish. I look forward to reading about it :)

When we did this hike for ADKDEREMN finish we continued up the slide and then whacked the ridge. That was an awesome day.

Congrats on getting that much closer to your finish. I look forward to reading about it :)

I was telling Fran about you guys as we were ascending and looking through the trees at the slide. We'll give you a call when we're heading up to do Allen, but like I said, it might be very last-minute.

What mountains are left?

Allen, Basin, Gray, Skylight.

Nice report and pics and oh oh what the heck am I getting myself into?? looks exciting..Lefty E