Dog Etiquette on the trails

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This conversation about what to do and what not to is semi-interesting. However, one should not have to study dog psychology in order to go for a pleasant hike. Catch my drift? One should be able to just hike.........

Ever run into another hiker when you don't expect to see one and it kinda startles you? Well, SOMEtimes SOME dogs get startled too and will go into a defensive/aggressive/nasty posture. That's a problem folks.

The one time I've run into an aggressive dog that came after me while hiking, she received a good swift kick in the teeth.* (this is quite effective too BTW, and I didn't have to study any reading material to deliver it) When her owners finally arrived (a full minute or two later) they were first questioned as to whether or not it was their dog (Yes, she is) and then they were told the story. (OUR dog did THAT?) They were unimpressed, and I was quite unimpressed with them too. I was between the Santanoni col and Times Square at the time - a good ways from my truck.

If you hike with a dog that's even halfway nasty, off leash, you are an idiot and someone needs to tell you that. Don't be jeopardizing others by bringing something into the woods that may bite someone 4 or 5 miles from the trailhead. You will not only ruin their day, you may make getting out a real epic in itself. Not to mention the legal problems that will surely occur.

* Before the hate-mail starts: Any dog showing teeth and hair up AND coming at a person that gets that close surely deserves AT LEAST a kick in the teeth. So do their owners for that matter. I've owned dogs and been around 'em all of my life and well know the difference between an indifferent barking display and bad intent - I used to deliver newspapers........

Last edited:
<This conversation about what to do and what not to is semi-interesting. However, one should not have to study dog psychology in order to go for a pleasant hike. Catch my drift? One should be able to just hike......... >

Alpine- I just was in the middle of a response with the same basic drift. Certain things are variable on a hike, weather, terrain, other hikers, but I don't expect to figure out how to deal with people's dogs.

Admittedly, I have never had a bad experience on the trail with a dog yet. Hikers however....

Gotta disagree, to a point, with what AlpineSummit and Tuco have said here.

It’s a fact of life -- however unfortunate it may be -- that people do bring dogs with them when they hike, and that too many people do let their dogs run off leash, and that those dogs do approach other hikers, and that some of those dogs are not nice poochies. So having some knowledge about how best to cope with an approaching dog -- or even a leashed one coming your way -- is useful, and it is appropriate to discuss it right here, but somewhat dispassionately.

Getting back to the original question, about etiquette for hiking with your own dog, though, the answer really boils down to this as the key startng point:

Use a leash.

G.

Point taken Grumpster.

One other thing for those dogs - unleashed - that will take off after a deer. This is so totally unfair; especially at this time of year. The deer are weakened from a long winter (still winter in the hills) and this kind of romp does them much harm and may take them days to recover from. They've been eating meagerly all winter and exposed to the cold while Rover is well fed and sleeping by the fire on his cedar bed from LL Bean.

Not a tree lover nor a bunny hugger, but fair is fair and unfair is not.......

Grumpy said:

Use a leash.

G.

Not an elixer, by any means.

I've had as many problems with bad dogs ON LEASH as I've had with bad dogs off leash.

TRAIN YOUR DOG FIRST. Then keep him on leash. If he isn't well trained, a leash doesn't do jack, except for give people the false impression that he's under control. Until he jumps on you anyway, or snarls, or darts at you.

The people with the unruly dogs put them on leashes and still let them go wild. The people who have taken the time to train their dogs put them on leashes and keep them well heeled as you walk past.

A leash does not a good dog make... Until he's properly trained.

A dog that can't be controled on a leash shouldn't leave the house, much less the yard.

A leash is not an elixer, it is a necessary component that must be used in the good owner/good dog system. I think that Grumpy was implying that no dog that is not trained nor can be controlled should be out on a trail anywhere. I hope that's what he was implying.

Last edited:
Jake - that is 1000% correct.
Not that a good guy can't have a bad dog - but rather that a good guy would get rid of a bad dog.

Amendment

OK, guys. I hereby amend my prescription for the essentials of dog-on-trail etiquette:

Keep your pooch under absolute control. Use a leash.

Everybody happy now?

G.

Last edited:
I've never had a dog (unless you want the sad story). I have been very favorably impressed by the dogs I've met on the trails in the White Mts.
They are almost always off leash and well ahead of their human companions. If one is coming up the trail toward me, I stop and let the dog come up to me and initiate hellos and greetings. If they're calm and friendly, I'll offer a hand for them to sniff. They'll let me know if a pat is okay. If they're not calm or they're less-than-friendly, I'll just stay still and relaxed. The owner will catch up and take control.
If the dog is coming down the slope, I'll step off to the side, giving some room and taking some altitude to avoiding a nose-to-nose first encounter.
I haven't met any agressive, uncontrollable dogs out on the trails yet. I'm thinking such dogs probably don't get very far up the trails. They're probably not much fun for their companions to hike with.

So, how good is my trail etiquette from the dogs' point of view?

A dog that can't be controled on a leash shouldn't leave the house, much less the yard.

I've felt that way about a few of the people I have met on the trails as well, especially over the holiday weekends! :D

bobmak;

Wasn't it Will Rogers that said-"the more people I meet the more I like my dog"

The big problem I have when encountering dogs on the trail is when I'm hiking with my dog. I keep her leashed in consideration of others, even though she's well trained and heels on command. It's when we come across other dogs that are unleashed or worse are leashed but the owners have no control, the dog's not trained, isn't socialized, etc.

I agree that leash does not equal control. A leash is not a substitute for training and developing a relationship with your dog. Just because you see a leash does not mean that the dog won't jump on you, steal your lunch, or put holes in your calf. Conversely, not all unleashed dog are out of control.

Good point from AlpineSummit, dogs shouldn't be chasing other creatures, no matter what season.

I didn't mean in any way to imply that it is any one else's duty to greet any dog or that it had to be done in any certain way. If I choose to bring a dog, it is my responsibility to keep that dog from interfering with anyone else's hike. I accept that responsibility. Unfortunately, not all people who bring dogs believe this or are objective about their dog's behavior. Even if they do, they may not have the will/ability to follow through. Likewise, not all hikers are responsible about themselves and/or other members of their party. Luckily, most hikers won't hump your leg or pee on your tent (please, don't get any ideas!).

Great point . . .

Dugan said:
. . . If I choose to bring a dog, it is my responsibility to keep that dog from interfering with anyone else's hike. . . .
This is right on the money.

Unfortunately, some people out there simply think dogs don't belong on the trail (or anywhere else in public) and are just plain antagonistic toward dogs and anyone who is accompanied by a dog. Such folks perceive even the best controlled dog as "interfering" with their hike and find offense that really has no basis in reality. It falls to the responsible dog owner to give such people no legitimate justification for their gripes.

G.

And there are some who are very selfish about the whole matter. As in "I will take my dog and rain on your parade by not controlling him in any way, shape, or form and you will just hafta deal with it " "You want solitude? No dogs? Go climb in Antarctica"

I'd rather dogs - in general - were left at home and not in the High Peaks. That's just my preference. A well mannered dog/owner combo is ok with me though. Hey, I've patted dogs on the head & fed 'em Triscuits. I'm part dog myself! But all in all, I wish they weren't there.

Personally, all I ask for is consideration - That's not much.

Last edited:
AlpineSummit said:
And there are some who are very selfish about the whole matter. As in "I will take my dog and rain on your parade by not controlling him in any way, shape, or form and you will just hafta deal with it " "You want solitude? No dogs? Go climb in Antarctica"
Quite right about that, AlpSum. But I think we have to bear in mind, for purposes of this discussion, that the "conversation" began with someone asking about what is proper "dog etiquette on trails." Most of the responses here have spoken to that issue in pretty affirmative and constructive ways, with very little inflammatory griping about the bad apples who spoil the barrel, etc.. We know there are bad attitudes and behaviors on both sides of the doggie question. But reality is that it falls to the person who hikes with a dog to avoid providing real grounds for griping by people who do not appreciate dogs on trails.

G.

Absolutely true, I do acknowledge that the thread starter was looking for constructive advice and I appreciate that. I didn't jump in 'til the onus seemed to be on HIKERS to determine how to handle a loose dog appearing outta nowhere.

Ev, thanks for asking how to do it right.

It's unfortunate, but the mountains are getting very crowded these days, especially the high spots. Which is one of the major reasons I rarely go there in the summer anymore; when Chica and I hike and camp we tend to stay in the lower areas and try to avoid people. There was a time years ago when I could hike all day and maybe only run into one or two others. Sadly, at least in the warmer seasons, those times have passed us in the Northeast peaks. Everyone has their own idea of what constitutes a great hiking experience: some what to share the experience with a canine, some with their children, some look for absolute silence, others prefer the laughter of friends and family, some like to sing while they hike, I even saw one young man hiking with a small cassette player strapped to the top of his pack a few years ago... I am sure you get the idea. I think it has gotten to the point where we all have to be aware of what our impact is upon anothers experience, and perhaps a little tolerant of others behavior as well.

When it comes to hiking with dogs, I think Grumpy has said it well, keep em in control, and leash them where there's people.

Some of you may have read and/or heard about the tragic death of my dog Toby. If you are interested in learning more about this or you want to help please go to www.fortobywithlove.com

I'm an avid hiker and a member of the AMC. I have seen many people hiking without their dogs on leads. I never would have let Toby off the leash if I thought he was a threat to other people or if I thought he would not come back when called. I spent many hours training Toby to come back when called and he always did. However, in this case--in a span of 5 to 6 seconds--he was not given a chance to. And based on the fact the shooter was 27ft from my pup, it's ludicrous to think that my dog tried to attack his children. If anything he startled them. Not to mention this off-duty officer then pointed his gun at my ex-fiancee as he tried to go and help my pup.

Rather ironically we were in compliance with the Bedford Leash Law which does not require the dog be on an actual leash, but rather in control of his owner. While the off-duty officer was in violation of the Pulpit Run park rules which state that there are no firearms allowed in the park.

So in summation, I now think it's best to keep your dog on lead at all times no matter how much they love to run. And just think this could have happened to any one of us.

Ma'am:

Your account does not concur with the off-duty police officer's account. Are you asking us to take sides here?

Were you at the scene, either in or out of sight of the events?

Were you timing the events with a stop-watch?

Could you see what occurred out of your sight?

Also, how is an out-of-sight dog an in-control dog?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.