Dog Grooming Questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

una_dogger

Reaction score
Sierra you may want to consider something for Bud since his recent "puppy cut" which removes the water repellent and insulating guard hairs of the natural aussie coat.

While many dogs may not need a coat in most weather, all can benefit from a coat or blanket on the car ride home. :) Aids in muscle recovery/minimizes inflammation/adhesions.

Sierra you may want to consider something for Bud since his recent "puppy cut" which removes the water repellent and insulating guard hairs of the natural aussie coat.

While many dogs may not need a coat in most weather, all can benefit from a coat or blanket on the car ride home. :) Aids in muscle recovery/minimizes inflammation/adhesions.

I did not realize that, thanks for letting me know. Actually, that was most likely his last one. Even more so with this new information. Bud was just to upset when I picked him up, it took him over an hour at home to calm down. He was never that bad and frankly, I'm not sure what freaked him out so bad. I will not be able to put him through that again, no way. I might do as oyu suggested before and just wash him myself and learn how to handle that coat myself. Maybe some time you can pm here or on FB and give me some brush advice and such for me to take care of everything myself going forward. Thanks Sabrina.

I did not realize that, thanks for letting me know. Actually, that was most likely his last one. Even more so with this new information. Bud was just to upset when I picked him up, it took him over an hour at home to calm down. He was never that bad and frankly, I'm not sure what freaked him out so bad. I will not be able to put him through that again, no way. I might do as oyu suggested before and just wash him myself and learn how to handle that coat myself. Maybe some time you can pm here or on FB and give me some brush advice and such for me to take care of everything myself going forward. Thanks Sabrina.

Absolutely. Bud's got alot of coat like Terra. Sometimes I just use a regular hairbrush like a vent brush. If you give him the once over every few days he should stay brushed out. The "back pants" seem to matt up from time to time, I just cut out the ones I can't easily brush out. Once a year when she's blowing her coat I may have to spend a bit of time brushing each day until the coats all shed out. I recommend doing that outside. You'd be surprised how much coat they lose. :p But its better to keep the coat natural, for its weather proof, sunscreen and heating/cooling properties.

Absolutely. Bud's got alot of coat like Terra. Sometimes I just use a regular hairbrush like a vent brush. If you give him the once over every few days he should stay brushed out. The "back pants" seem to matt up from time to time, I just cut out the ones I can't easily brush out. Once a year when she's blowing her coat I may have to spend a bit of time brushing each day until the coats all shed out. I recommend doing that outside. You'd be surprised how much coat they lose. :p But its better to keep the coat natural, for its weather proof, sunscreen and heating/cooling properties.

I am going to take over the grooming for Bud. Because I had him groomed, I did not brush him much and he matted up, I will now keep up with it. He will be very happy when I tell him no more groomer visits.;) Once his coat grows out, he should be back to normal as far as water repellent and insulating guard hairs I hope. Thanks so much, I feel like a bad Dad right now.:(

Best to brush Bud when he's pooped, like in the evening. Or at least that's the easiest time to brush Gryffin, who has "pants" just like the Aussies do. Maybe feed him while you brush him so he associates it with a positive experience.

Tim

Aw, don't feel bad!

Tim makes a great point about using grooming time as an opportunity to have some QT with Bud and it could become something he looks forward to. Pemi loved being groomed, it's like a big love fest for her. :)

Best to brush Bud when he's pooped, like in the evening. Or at least that's the easiest time to brush Gryffin, who has "pants" just like the Aussies do. Maybe feed him while you brush him so he associates it with a positive experience.

Tim

Oh, Bud will let me no problem, he let's me do anything with no issue. I just thought with that coat, I was doing him a favor by having it done professionally. My last dog was a Keeshond, another difficult coat to maintain. I used a groomer and never had an issue. I guess, I just got used to it. Thanks for all the advice, Tim and Sabrina.

:p But its better to keep the coat natural, for its weather proof, sunscreen and heating/cooling properties.

The natural long hair coat also is the first line of defense against harmful insects. The longer hair will wick away intruders before they have a chance to make it to the dog's skin.

The natural long hair coat also is the first line of defense against harmful insects. The longer hair will wick away intruders before they have a chance to make it to the dog's skin.

This is not my experience. A couple of years ago, when we used a flea and tick control that appeared to be ineffective, we found multiple insects and ticks on our long hair Golden Retriever dog, while there was absolutely no ticks or other intruders on our Sharpei, with the short, "needle shape" coat. I don't think we should assume that the long hair coat helps at all for this.

This is not my experience. A couple of years ago, when we used a flea and tick control that appeared to be ineffective, we found multiple insects and ticks on our long hair Golden Retriever dog, while there was absolutely no ticks or other intruders on our Sharpei, with the short, "needle shape" coat. I don't think we should assume that the long hair coat helps at all for this.
I probably should have been more specific. I can't speak for your Golden. I was actually referring to Aussies. Awhile back I was concerned about my Aussie getting over heated in the summer months and was thinking of cutting her hair back. My vet told us to be careful and not to cut her back real short because of the first line whisking defense that her hair provided....and just that first line. That does not mean the dog is never going to get a tick because it has long hair and also is not a reason to not use all the other preventative measures available. In other words the longer hair is part of a system of prevention not the only defense mechanism within itself. Again I can't speak for other breads but I check my Aussies regularly for insects and have indeed found them on the surface of the hair follicles and not on the skin.

Last edited:
Looks like there are plenty of Aussie trail dogs out there, which surprises me as I rarely see them on the trail. Maybe we should start an Aussie trail dog thread?
As to the original question, I have Tucker groomed in the spring along with a nail trimming, but only lightly and in certain rear areas where things tend to get stuck in an unruly coat.
IMG_2231.jpg
Zeacliff trail 11/15

With Lab, Toby, most everything falls off. Otherwise, I just run my finger nails lightly to get what's left. The rare exception the little beggar tick seed pods that need a Furminator.