doggie's in winter?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proszach

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've taken my black lab on several hikes, but never in the winter. Just wondering what that's like? Should I be selective about what I'm hiking for his sake? Is deep snow going to be a big factor for him? Thanks!

Hum?

First off I have a question. Where does the dog sleep when winter hiking?

This past weekend I went up Chocorua and there was a party of 5 and a dog coming down. There was little paw prints of blood from the poor little guy. I assume because he had no booties on. Do dogs usually wear booties in winter?

Last weekend at FYAO (trail talk) one of the members brought her dog. It got down to -5 at night, and AmyG said her dog was shivering, so she shared her sleeping bag. Dogs are pretty resilient, but I do agree, if the paws are bleeding, they should have put booties on a long time ago. Then again, the Iditarod has been going on for years, so maybe it depends on the dog...

-percious

I would avoid any extended exposure above treeline until you've done a few and have the logistics worked out. Small peaks like Jennings, Waumback, Crawford and Pierce (in New Hampshire) are good starters.

Booties were a must when I took my dog. I also had a jacket to help keep the heat in. Black labs have a thick coat, so that helps.

Most of the trails have had someone else on them before you at some point of the winter, so deep snow was never much of a problem. If by some stroke of 'luck' I was breaking trail, mine would smartly follow right behind me - sometimes on the tails of my snowshoes :mad:

Feed them alot, and try to make them drink. There aren't many open streams, and I found they always don't drink enough on their own. It's hard to explain dehydration to a dog, I guess.

Last, keep a close eye on them. Mine had a tendancy to explore the woods, but because of the snow would usually stay in the trail. But, having them stray off in winter conditions would be tough.

I'd be careful.... start slow. Different dogs react differently. I had a huskie shep mix that was great in the snow and winter camped a couple of times. These were shorter hikes (Jennings was one, Mizpah and Jackson was another) and never really above treeline. My current partner, Chica, has a thick coat but after a few hours her feet bother her; booties would be a must for her if she were to hike in the winter. Regarding sleeping in the cold, if I recall correctly Jezzabel (the huskie/shep) only joined us on warmer nights, above 0. I had an old winter coat that I brought with the bottom taped shut and the sleeves removed and taped shut (my sewing skills are non-existant). This was used as a sleeping bag for her and seemed to work fine.

sorry guys shoulda been specific. i only meant for day hikes, but thanks for all the recommendations. my lab's a tough one, but yes i will certainly start out on a mellow moutain and see how he does.

Yes, start slow. My yellow lab partially tore a ligament trying to keep up while we were skiing nasty heavy snow. Also, the webbing between their paws can fill up with snow that they then try to bite out. It must be uncomfortable. Then there's the loose granular icy snow that can make the paws very tender.
My new pup is 5 months old now and I'm going to take Dug's longstanding advice and get her into booties.

We did take her out on a hike of 6-7 miles a few weeks ago and I was ready to turn around any time, but she was a trooper, delighting in bounding through deep snow.

My Black Lab/Great Dane mix (Luke) hikes with me much of the time. I always bring his booties but don't always use them. If your pal isn't used to them, it will take a lot of patience and loving play at home with them before you go out. Many dogs react strangely to them. If it's very cold or you're out for awhile, the pads on their feet will split and bleed without them. Likewise, they tend to do at least twice the hiking we do with all their meanderings...important to consider. And definitely stop and feed them often. Luke has his own pack and carries a couple of bags of soft chewy treats and his own water and collapsible waterbowl. I always have to be prepared to turn around for his sake too. There have been a couple times he couldn't make icy ledges which led to a quick change in plans! He'll follow behind when I'm breaking trail but I can't tell you how many times this lead to him climbing on my snowshoes and sending me face first into the snow! But I wouldn't give up those beautiful days with him for nuthin!

For a lab, I'd worry some about temperatures, given that their coat is light to medium (as opposed to something like a Siberian or Newf). I would also think that they'd be more affected by wind. I try to leave nails a little longer in the winter for a crampon effect. You might want to consider a set of packs or a nylon coat as a wind-block layer.

I always carry one (two in winter) sets of booties. Whether they get used depends on conditions. The harder the snow, especially if there's ice or an ice crust, the more abrasive it is to dog paws. After an ice storm, with sharp shards of ice cracking off twigs and branches is the worst. We make frequent stops to check that paws are doing okay. I find that an area that bears watching is especially the edges of the toe pads, the second worst is the nail bed. Get them used to booties first at home, then on daily outings, before trying to use them on a hike. Once you're out is generally not a good time to introduce new equipment to a dog.

I've heard and tried many things for preventing snow balls. Trimming the fur between the pads is one, but I don't think labs have much fur to trim in that area. I've also tried spray on cooking oils. I've heard about, but not tried, a product called Mushers Wax (Mushers Secret? something like that) on this board. A few people here have used it and speak well of it. I plan to try it.

Because of de-snowballing the paws and frequent paw checks, you may want to carry a warmer than usual hand layer for yourself since you'll be exposing your hands more.

Deep snow is certainly a factor. If it's deep enough, the dog will have to a sort of porpoise jump through it which places a huge strain on the muscles. Luckily, dogs are usually sensible enough to let their humans break the trail for them. A little training can help teach them to stay off the snowshoe tails.

I would advise getting out for smaller hikes in milder conditions, and work up to bigger things. My dog is 2.5 years, last winter was the first winter I had him. We did smaller, easier things - 3-4 miles in all kinds of conditions, opting for easier things if conditions were worse. Earlier this winter we began doing some medium stuff in mild winter conditions - e.g. Lafayette in December. Then we did his first "real" winter hike this past weekend (Tom-Field-Willey, 8 miles, temps around zero, some deep snow, some packed trails, some ice). Watch them carefully, learn what they can and can't tolerate. You'd hate to be out on an 8 mile hike in subzero conditions and have to carry the dog out after 4 miles.

I say go for it! My beagle has been out for some pretty long winter hikes without hardly any problems. One time she got really cold but that was after about 6 hours in below zero temps. I have booties that one of my way too fashionable friends bought for her and I bring them but have never used them. Like anything involving I'm sure the experience varies pooch to pooch but no reason not to give it a shot.

And if you do overnights, a dog in the bottom of a sleeping bag is a great footwarmer! Although probably harder to cram a lab down there....

Winter Dog Hikes

My pup has been on a many winter hikes and even with a lot of conditioning, sometimes still has paw issues.
I always bring booties out for longer hikes and usually bring spare sets of booties. I've tried the store bought booties but find that they fall off frequently and are expensive to replace and therefore have resorted to buying a large sheet of fleece, and a roll of velcro and with a little patience on the sewing machine, I've manage to make several pair that are much higher on her legs and they seem to stay on much longer. When I loose them, if I can't find them I have extras with me.
On the colder days, I've also noticed that Taiga has frozen her paws, and hence the effort to find the perfect bootie.

For the question about where the dog sleeps in the winter, I bring an ultra-light thermarest just for the dog and she's become very accustomed to laying down on the thermarest with my down parka on top of her.

276186734QWBWSD_ph.jpg

You may be able to make out the booties in this picture.

Last edited:
I take my West Highland Terrier on XC, Backcountry and snowshoe day trips. No high peaks, but she has done Hadley, Bald Peak, etc. with me. She's also gone on 10 -12 mile ski trips over rolling terrain. Terries were bred to be field dogs in the less than ideal weather of the Scottish Higlands, so most winter weather here doesn't bother them.

I most always bring her fleece doggie coat, depending on length of trip and temps. Same with booties, bring them and use varies with temps and snow conditions. We gradually introduced her to wearing the booties. Start by putting on one or two for a few minutes at a time while at home or in the yard.

I always coat her paw pads and lower legs with the Musher's Secret. Works great for keeping snow balls from forming. Target also sells a similar product that I use sometimes. Biggest problem is snow balling up on her chest, belly and haunches. This is where the doggie coat can help.

Start slow, introduce your dog to various trips, see how she does. My experience has been that the dog covers twice the distance I do, she has to go sniff every tree, rock, animal track, etc. She sleeps good that night

Adi - One way to keep booties on is suspenders. Attach a strap/cord from one bootie to another. Suspenders go from front to opposite back. May need to wrap the cord in something to eliminate chafing.

Someone else on this board (Nadine?) told me of another way which I have not yet tried since I haven't yet run into bootie conditions - wrap vetrap around the dog's leg at about where the top of the bootie hits. Put the bootie on. Wrap duct tape around bootie, attaching to vetrap.

I think this should work pretty well. I know someone who sleds competitively with Siberians, and she uses duct tape from the bootie directly onto the dogs fur. Only problem there is that you lose fur each time you take them off.

yes the booties will certainly be purchased. just hope he can get used to them, as he's not the kind of dog that likes to get things put onto him. I've taken him on many spring and summer hikes, and there's never been anything close to a problem. in fact, by the time we get home he wants me to throw the ball for him! but yes, i will be careful of deep snow and icy conditions.

Dugan's Tips

Dugan,

Thanks for the tips, a)suspenders b)vet rap,
I'll definitely try b) as I always have vet rap with me. I think this is something that should be brought as well, you never know what could happen. My dog was cut up pretty severely one day while skiing in the backcountry, I guess you can say she caught an edge. Duct tape and a toque worked fine that time, but I've brought vet rap ever since.

Thanks again

Mine didn't like them either. It's kind of funny to watch a dog walk while trying to not touch the ground. But, I just put them on and started walking. She could either sit there and whine, or go for a walk. She always followed and just dealt with it. It does help to have a spare set as I have lost a couple on occasion.

My reason for a second spare set in the winter is that on one hike, the morning after an ice storm with the shards of ice from the branches lying all over the trail on top of a thick ice crust, one set of booties was shredded within 3 miles or so. I sacrificed my socks and a spare pair of mittens to line the now-shredded booties, and back tracked out. It cut the hike very short, but imagine what that could've done to his paws.

Oh yeah - and for getting them used to booties, coats, etc. I usually start at home. With booties I don't even ask them to stand the first time they're put on. Then I make sure to do something they REALLY like while the booties are on - hand feed dinner, petting, grooming, whatever. We gradually increase the length of time the booties are on, and the amount of activity I ask the dog to do. Depending on the dog, it can be several weeks before we actually try them on a walk outdoors. With that said, be careful in the house. Slippery booties on vinyl flooring...

I've used Musher's Wax on my lab and golden (the golden needed it more). We never needed booties -- we lived in NH and they seemed to build up tough pads over the winter, sufficient for most of the dayhikes we did.

I did carry a small fleece/nylon backed blanket for summit breaks. Half the time the dogs didn't even use it, but I liked having something insulating for them to rest on.

And, I don't know about your lab, but mine liked to be lead dog, always breaking trail. He seemed to prefer it and was excellent at following the most obscure trail. I allowed him to do it because he could, but I would be very wary of letting a first timer do it if you're not certain of the dog's health. It can be very tough on their hips and elbows. You don't want the dog laying down in the middle of the trail on the way back. Carrying a lab out would be a tough way to descend.